Need Rack Extension UI Design? Message me!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

19 Feb 2020

We already have a UI designer, so not in the market for one, but if you want to attract some devs I would suggest that you post some examples of your work in this thread. A picture says more than a thousand words! :puf_smile:

Nirude

20 Feb 2020

I would to see more RE:nders from other renderers :puf_smile:

Had to take a look again; it´s over a year since I posted this.
3d man.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

Nirude wrote:
20 Feb 2020
I would to see more RE:nders from other renderers :puf_smile:

Had to take a look again; it´s over a year since I posted this.
love them all, could use them in my video's as I'm a bit of noob with 3d stuff...

PoohBear.

apoc123
RE Developer

21 Feb 2020

I agree UI and UX is all about passion, it really can be as fun as sound design and music production. I would also love to see some examples of your work!

DJMaytag

21 Feb 2020

I’m not a dev, but there are some RE’s and Players in desperate need of an overhaul out there. The better looking the device is, the more likely I will instantly slap some money down to support it (within reasonable limits, I mean... it has to actually work... LOL).

challism

27 Feb 2020

I would suggest picking a few REs and doing some renders to practice your skills before you try to do a real life GUI for a serious dev who is releasing a professional product. I'm not sure you are going to get any interest from developers since you don't have experience. Get some experience. Do some renders. Post them here. Devs probably want to see some examples of your work before agreeing to work with you.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Feb 2020

Not to discourage you, but speaking from experience, it’s very unlikely you’ll find commercial work here. I tried for some time, first with some sample UI work, and later with a free RE in the shop that I collaborated on.

I think it comes down to two things: RE development is a tight-margin business. It’s a niche market, and many developers simply aren’t willing to spend money on a contractor if they can make something basic themselves. Secondly, people in software development tend to already know designers (speaking as a designer that knows a lot of developers), and it’s a tough sell to go with someone they’ve never worked with.

Also, some developers, like Lectric Panda, are actually quite good designers in their own right.

If you really want to design interfaces for REs, I’d do two things:

1) Apply for the developer program, download the SDK, and explore the RE2D system. You don’t need to work with 3D anymore (that part of the SDK has been deprecated); you just need to understand how things like filmstrips work.

2) Reach out to the developer of a free RE.

If you can at least point to some work in the shop, I think you’ll be on a much better footing to try and get some commercial work (even if that hasn’t worked for me yet). Good luck!

dioxide

20 Jul 2021

Link to portfolio?

gullum

21 Jul 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Hey, I got UI capcities (commercial only, no time for free work right now) again, if some RE Developer needs UI Design, please PM me. I have Design references that I can send you, I just don't want to post my portfolio here.
Cheers
that's the problem you want work but don't want to show any qualification. There are tons of people that say they know how to do 3d visuals, but that without anything to show, it may only mean you can make a bunching ball that flashes.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2021

gullum wrote:
21 Jul 2021
Edin_16 wrote:
20 Jul 2021
Hey, I got UI capcities (commercial only, no time for free work right now) again, if some RE Developer needs UI Design, please PM me. I have Design references that I can send you, I just don't want to post my portfolio here.
Cheers
that's the problem you want work but don't want to show any qualification. There are tons of people that say they know how to do 3d visuals, but that without anything to show, it may only mean you can make a bunching ball that flashes.
I’d buy a bouncing ball that flashes Rack Extension right now. Man, that’d be swell. 😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

gullum

21 Jul 2021

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jul 2021
gullum wrote:
21 Jul 2021

I’d buy a bouncing ball that flashes Rack Extension right now. Man, that’d be swell. 😂
Imagine if it had a random pattern button :D

dioxide

21 Jul 2021

I got your email thanks. I'm not looking for UI work and I'm a graphic designer myself. By suggesting you post your portfolio I'm trying to help. You're probably better approaching these companies directly. I did, and didn't get anywhere, but such is life. The thing is that other people aren't anywhere near as interested in your portfolio as you think they might be, so the less difficult you can make it for them the better. Good luck!

ekss
RE Developer

21 Jul 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
21 Jul 2021
MrFigg wrote:
21 Jul 2021

How I said, PM me please if you are interested, I do not post my portfolio with works for different companies and people in public forums....

My way into professional GUI design started with me posting exemples of personal projects on my web page. It was backdrops for combinators and 3d renders of the devices. Those led me to work with Propellerheads/Reason, Robotic Bean, McDsp and a few others. I don’t think I would had have much work if I hadn’t posted examples of what I do. So, I think it’s great to have an online portfolio with examples publicly, easily available. Then you can just link it when people want to have a look.
You can see my portfolio and how I present client work at eriksoderberg.se - it’s built with CargoCollective site builder, very easy and affordable. Also check out Adobe Portfolio, Behance.net for nice presentations made easy.
I can also recommend signing up as a dev and check out the IDT SDK. If you know some code (not much) you can get started building and designing your own REs fairly quickly.

• Information