Which feature requests are most important to Reason DAW users? (oh boy here we go again)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

EDIT: joeyluck had the idea to turn this into a google forms poll, which I think is a good idea. So feel free to use the threads to add requests and I'll put them into the google forms polls. There are description boxes for each feature and images can be added for examples.

EDIT2: New google forms poll: https://forms.gle/4vAXcAR1FtCCG7gK8

There is a million feature request threads but hear me out...

Mattias posted a huge list of all the feature requests we've made over the years a while back. We can't make a poll that large but even if we could, it wouldn't be that useful IMO. Usually what people do is take the top 20 features THEY personally want and make a poll.

My idea is to take this list and separate the features into categories, so it's more clear. A series of polls to hone in on priorities. I've removed some requests because Reason Studios has addressed quite a few of them since then. Also removed a few because of overlap with other feature requests.

(Some will be two polls, separating the features that most likely would require more time and resources than the others. Since I'm not a dev, I'm just going based off intuition but I think it would be fairly agreeable . Hopefully my assumptions are in the ball park!

Polls
-Sequencer Improvement Requests A (More time/resources)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516223
-Sequencer Improvement Requests B
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516222

-Core Daw Improvement Requests A (More time/resources)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516221
-Core Daw Improvement Requests B
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516220

-New Device Requests
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516219

-Rack Improvement Requests
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516218

-Mixer Improvement Requests
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7516217
Last edited by aeox on 20 Feb 2020, edited 3 times in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

Sorry for spam guys, only way I could do it :D

Maybe my approach to separating the requests is flawed and I can't see it, but it makes sense to me.
Last edited by aeox on 20 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

20 Feb 2020

Yes it is a lot of polls :) It's nice that you are adding options as people chime in, but keep in mind that:
"If you remove or add options all previous votes will be reset."

The polls here are limited in the number of options, which can be a challenge. I think ultimately if someone wants to really hone in on making a comprehensive poll, the best route would be something like Google Forms. Someone could begin by researching the forum for all possible feature requests, compile them into a form, creating a thread with a link to the Google Form asking for proofreads and additional requests, and then opening up the Form for voting. And I imagine those steps before voting begins would take some time.

Just a thought for a poll in the future.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Yes it is a lot of polls :) It's nice that you are adding options as people chime in, but keep in mind that:

The polls here are limited in the number of options, which can be a challenge. I think ultimately if someone wants to really hone in on making a comprehensive poll, the best route would be something like Google Forms. Someone could begin by researching the forum for all possible feature requests, compile them into a form, creating a thread with a link to the Google Form asking for proofreads and additional requests, and then opening up the Form for voting. And I imagine those steps before voting begins would take some time.

Realized that votes reset, oops!

Well, the idea was for people to collect thoughts on this thread but that didn't work :/ was hoping the other ones faded into the abyss. Anyway to lock them but keep polls open? :P

And that's a good idea. I'll have to revise my approach but I still want people to partake in these polls!

Also, it will give me a better idea of more detailed requests to add to google forms
Last edited by aeox on 20 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

Yeah, first you make a thread to discuss those lists, then create polls.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Yeah, first you make a thread to discuss those lists, then create polls.
Each of the poll threads can be treated that way, right?

joeyluck

20 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
joeyluck wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Well, the idea was for people to collect thoughts on this thread but that didn't work :/ was hoping the other ones faded into the abyss. Anyway to lock them but keep polls open? :P

And that's a good idea. I'll have to revise my approach but I still want people to partake in these polls!
I can try locking one of them and see if the polls still work. I feel like we tried something like this before, but I don't quite remember.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
20 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020

I can try locking one of them and see if the polls still work. I feel like we tried something like this before, but I don't quite remember.
Well hold on, what if we use the threads for collecting more detailed requests and using that data for google forms?

guitfnky

20 Feb 2020

just chiming in to say I appreciate that you’re doing this. it’s a great idea, and will hopefully bring more visibility to some of these overdue improvements.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

20 Feb 2020

With Google Forms, you could have a multiple choice (like here) with a big list, or you could have people vote on a scale per item. Here's an example of one question: https://forms.gle/7Vv5kd85rsHXKouy6

And then there's room for descriptions (such as me linking to what MPE is in that example) which is handy in some other particular cases, since a lot of times people might be describing different things when using few words or not even know what something is that they are voting on.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
20 Feb 2020
With Google Forms, you could have a multiple choice (like here) with a big list, or you could have people vote on a scale per item. Here's an example of one question: https://forms.gle/7Vv5kd85rsHXKouy6

And then there's room for descriptions (such as me linking to what MPE is in that example) which is handy in some other particular cases, since a lot of times people might be describing different things when using few words or not even know what something is that they are voting on.
Awesome, I'm messing with it right now.

Thanks

joeyluck

20 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
joeyluck wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Well hold on, what if we use the threads for collecting more detailed requests and using that data for google forms?
Whatever you feel makes it easier to manage. I think then though some of the two parters could become one? And then can become managed lists rather than polls? I guess see how it goes.

joeyluck

20 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
joeyluck wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Awesome, I'm messing with it right now.

Thanks
The only thing I'm not sure about is preventing ballot stuffing. At least here, people have to be logged in. With Google Forms you can require email address (although I don't know if you need to verify it) and I think also it takes note of IP addresses (because if you only allow one response in the Google Form, it will remember).

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Feb 2020

IMO, the limit on 2-3 options selected should be removed. You can vote or not vote for a feature. If someone votes for everything, it would effectively mean that he did not participate in the poll. You just need to subtract the minimum base from each count.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
IMO, the limit on 2-3 options selected should be removed. You can vote or not vote for a feature. If someone votes for everything, it would effectively mean that he did not participate in the poll. You just need to subtract the minimum base from each count.
I thought doing that would force people to choose what is highest priority for them.

Creativemind

20 Feb 2020

Think the most important features are the ones you can't work around. To me they are as follows:-

* Improved Clip Behaviour in the Sequencer
* Undo History
* Cloned / Linked / Mimic'd / Aliased Clips
* Time Markers
* Track Folders
* Sync Browsers
* Sync Windows (I know you can kinda do it but on the fly automatically)
* Midi Chase
* Remove Arrows off Midi Notes Till Needed
* Join Midi Notes
* Note Displays
* See Which Midi Note You're Pressing in the Midi Editor
* Bounce To Mono
* Mono Option in Bounce In Place
* Consolidate / Merge Clips in Bounce In Place
* Being Able To See Where (In Time) Transient Markers Are When You Hold Say Alt and Hover Mouse Cursor Over Marker in Slice Edit
* Tempo Detect of Audio
* Fit To Tempo For Audio
* Audition Audio Clip Parts in the Sequencer With the Speaker Tool
* Audio Properties
* Project Properties
* Keyboard Shortcut To Put End Marker a Certain Distance (Specified In Preferences) After the Last Clip
* Preference To Stop Song Playing When It Reaches the End Marker0
* 10 Sends With the Ability To Add 10 More
* Re-Label & Re-order Sends
* dB Reading On Faders
* VCA Faders
* VST 3 Support
* Scan VST Folder While Reason Is Open
* Midi VST Support
* Multi-Out for VST
* Multiple Curves, Points, Quantizeable and Saveable Audio Fade Ins/Outs
* Multiple Curves For Crossfades & Automaton
* Saveable Automation
* Quantizeable Automation
* Automatic Automation Shapes
* Manual Parameter Inputs with Copy / Paste
* More Themes, Themes Affect Mixer/ Menu's and No Restart Required
* Minimize On-Screen Piano Keys Whilst Still Active

I have 80 features but they are my main 40 lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Think the most important features are the ones you can't work around. To me they are as follows:-

Could you edit your post with more details for each request? Some are way too vague. With google forms I can add images and stuff so that's even better. If you can illustrate your ideas it would be helpful for anyone voting.

I just don't want a bunch of vague requests in there.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
20 Feb 2020
just chiming in to say I appreciate that you’re doing this. it’s a great idea, and will hopefully bring more visibility to some of these overdue improvements.
That's the idea!

I'd like to know more about what other Reason users want as well. Curiosity!

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

https://forms.gle/4vAXcAR1FtCCG7gK8
Not sure how well this one will work either.. but I added a lot more features to it.

Creativemind

20 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Could you edit your post with more details for each request? Some are way too vague. With google forms I can add images and stuff so that's even better. If you can illustrate your ideas it would be helpful for anyone voting.

Too vague, no they're not.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
20 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Feb 2020

Too vague, no they're not.
A couple were at least :P

Anyway, I added the ones from your list that weren't already there

4 people have completed the google forms poll so far :lol:

EDIT: I just added a comment box at the end of each section

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

17 responses on the poll so far.

When should I show the results? 100? 200?

Busta US

22 Feb 2020

I didn't see any vote for midi editing improvements (brush tool / faster add & remove notes etc..) in the google vote form ...

This is by far my most wanted request!

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
22 Feb 2020
I didn't see any vote for midi editing improvements (brush tool / faster add & remove notes etc..) in the google vote form ...

This is by far my most wanted request!
I thought it had a brush tool?

And add/remove notes is a double click! it doesn't get much faster than that, or does it?

Provide some examples please

Busta US

22 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2020
I thought it had a brush tool?
Nope. "Adding several notes" is not a "brush tool". A brush tool lets you add notes anywhere and not just on a straight line
aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2020
And add/remove notes is a double click! it doesn't get much faster than that, or does it?
Oh yes it does dear...you can add and remove notes with one single click on FL Studio...whoever hasn't tried it cannot comprehend how faster your workflow becomes when you can add and remove notes with a single click.
aeox wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Provide some examples please
Sure. Starts at 1:47 and also at 2:55 so that you understand precisely what I mean. Notice how he easily adds remove notes to find the note's sweet spot. Trials and error at the fastest workflow possible

• Information