How much free stuff have you saved "just in case"?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2020

Looking through a few HDs just now...man I've got a lot of GBs of free soundbanks and samples, free VSTs and free refills. Ok...maybe I'll get around to checking out the refills sometime when I'm a pensioner but the free VSTs??? There's a lot of good ones of course which I use regularly...you probably already know what the good ones are. Somehow though I have amassed hundreds of free VSTs which I will probably never, ever look at..."just in case". Same with sample banks. Soooo many. I am now in the process of ruthlessly deleting folder upon folder with absolutely no remorse.
Anybody else in the same boat?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Jackjackdaw

13 Feb 2020

I don't have any free VST's at all! I have Arturia V collection, A couple of PSP fx, Retrologue and Padshop - stock Cubase instruments and I just bought Arturia FX collection last night.

orthodox
RE Developer

13 Feb 2020

I collect the stuff I''ll never use again on my NAS drive in a closet in the other room. It still got 2-3 TB of free space, so I'm not thinking about it.

guitfnky

13 Feb 2020

I very rarely use free stuff. I have NI’s Raum reverb, Cakewalk by Bandlab, and a free tuner plugin for the DAWs that don’t have them built in, like Reason does (amazing how handy that little feature is).

probably have a couple others installed, but nothing I’d remember enough to use regularly. I won’t install free plugins unless it’s something I really need, but also something I’m not willing to pay for—the overlap between the two is very small—something I might need for a single song, but don’t see a need for past that one time use.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TheDragonborg

13 Feb 2020

Some of the best VSTs are free:
PG-8X, SQ-8L (really wish this would be ported to 64bit), Xhip, Dexed for synths... these are better than many ones you have to buy...

Yonatan

14 Feb 2020

There are a few golden eggs in the free VST basket. But yes, after the VST support in Reason, the search for free plugins was quite extensive. Some are still good gems but many went into the shade, especially those modulation effects, EQ:s and compressors, not to mention stereo panning devices etc, that you do not need every item out there if having a bunch of REs and VST.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2020

OTT

EdGrip

14 Feb 2020

OTT, of course, and Klanghelm, and the TDR plugins are brilliant (and the TDR manuals and blog posts are an education).

But the free VST that I use the most is the little Juno chorus emulation by TAL. It's just great.

I have loads of drum samples that I'm never gonna use. But you never know! And they're only little, individually...

gullum

16 Feb 2020

I used you have lots and lots of free stuff but have deleted most a long time ago now the free RE's or even paid once I don't use are not on my hard drive but can be downloaded at anytime.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2020

Well I cleared about 15 Gigs of VSTs and sample banks which I have absolutely no chance of ever using. Got about 120GB of refills sitting in a folder still...because you just never know.
The free VSTs I kept are the TAL ones (all of them), Distorque Effects, Guitar Gadgets, Stone Voices Ambient Reverb and U-he's TyrellN6. The effects all work for me on guitar and Tyrell...well you know :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

plaamook

17 Feb 2020

Think the only free anything I run is Audacity so's I can use Paulstretch on it cause the UI on the stand alone is so dire.
I always wonder if I'm missing out on shit but really, if I collect things they just sit there. I'm quite specific in what I use i guess.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

HeresJohnny312

26 Feb 2020

I'd say maybe 5% of my stuff is free stuff.

• Information