How would you rate Reason in its current state?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How would you rate Reason in its current state?

10. Reason is absolutely perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. I love it.
3%
3%
8. It's pretty damn good. There are a few things here and there that could be improved/added but it doesn't really bother me that much.
41%
12%
6. It's fine. I wish many things could improve but overall I like it.
26%
3%
4. Even though I like parts of Reason there's just too many things I'm not happy about.
12%
No votes
2. Reason is horrible. How can anyone use this?
No votes
1. Using Reason is like torture. I hate it. Worst DAW ever.
No votes

Total votes: 115
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2020

Let's all stick to Reason 11 standard version, since it's the latest version. (Not counting what's included in the Suite version).
For those of you that's on an earlier Reason version, I'm guessing you have a pretty good grasp of what's included in the R11 version after all the threads about it. Use your imagination. Not a perfect strategy I know, but It will do for now. It's better if we all rate the same product.

How high would you rate Reason in its current state?
10 being the highest score and 1 being the lowest.

ShelLuser

14 Feb 2020

I voted #4... IMO you could have made it a bit more obvious that this is about Reason 11 and not so much Reason in general. Because Reason in general, to me, is near to perfect.

But when it comes to 11... it broke too much for me. No more Rewire support, a VST which doesn't come close to the basic functionality, all in all enough for me to stick with 10 (and still loving it). And all criticism aside I think it's a good thing that they're trying to keep their rack extensions generally compatible across versions. Despite not enjoying Scenic at first I came around from that and well... even though it was introduced with Reason 11 I'm now using this within Reason 10 and loving it so far (IMO the demo videos didn't do this enough credit).

Alas... Die-hard Reason 10 user here, even though I have a license for 11 (I upgraded to 10 within August last year which gave me a dual license).
--- :reason:

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2020

Voted #8

If i voted any lower I probably wouldn't even be using Reason.

Jmax

14 Feb 2020

We all know it's very easy to create music in Reason, despite the outdated sequencer and graphic issues. 8 out of 10. If i was on Mac that would probably be a 5 or 6 with the non hi res.

Yonatan

14 Feb 2020

Jmax wrote:
14 Feb 2020
We all know it's very easy to create music in Reason, despite the outdated sequencer and graphic issues. 8 out of 10. If i was on Mac that would probably be a 5 or 6 with the non hi res.
I'm on Mac so yes, a 6 here. But it all depends on context one put Reason in. If comparing with a reel to reel and a random mixer, or the cutting edge DAW latest development. And a good day it is seen as 7, a not so good, it is seen as a 5.

demt

14 Feb 2020

twin moniters sure up the score 9 just for the visuals
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
14 Feb 2020
I voted #4... IMO you could have made it a bit more obvious that this is about Reason 11 and not so much Reason in general. Because Reason in general, to me, is near to perfect.
I'm not sure what you mean. The first sentence was literally "Let's all stick to Reason 11 standard version, since it's the latest version." I don't see how I could have made it much clearer.
In case you want to change your vote you can, if you misunderstood what I meant.

MannequinRaces

14 Feb 2020

Eight for me. Yeah there’s always room for improvements but nothing is holding me back at this point except for myself.

joeyluck

14 Feb 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Feb 2020
ShelLuser wrote:
14 Feb 2020
I'm not sure what you mean. The first sentence was literally "Let's all stick to Reason 11 standard version, since it's the latest version." I don't see how I could have made it much clearer.
In case you want to change your vote you can, if you misunderstood what I meant.
Honestly I think it could be better served as a rating for 'Reason in general' since we have several other threads to gauge people's assessment of R11 as an upgrade. But in the end, the latest version is the most feature rich...

TheDragonborg

14 Feb 2020

I usually upgrade every other version now except for the when I started out. I was on Version 4 and upgraded to 5 + Record cause I was excited to have audio tracks... upgraded to 6 cause of the $1 upgrade (wish they'd bring that back). Got Reason 8 upgrade as a gift from family (I was really excited for MIDI out for use with my hardware synths). I skipped 9 and upgraded to 10 last year (I really wanted that VST support and seeing that Plugin Boutique has all of those crazy sales). I have so many plugins as it is that in order for me to upgrade again I need more incentive than a couple more instrument devices or some new gimmicky players devices... and so I skipped version 11.

TheDragonborg

14 Feb 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
14 Feb 2020

But when it comes to 11... it broke too much for me. No more Rewire support, a VST which doesn't come close to the basic functionality, all in all enough for me to stick with 10 (and still loving it). And all criticism aside I think it's a good thing that they're trying to keep their rack extensions generally compatible across versions. Despite not enjoying Scenic at first I came around from that and well... even though it was introduced with Reason 11 I'm now using this within Reason 10 and loving it so far (IMO the demo videos didn't do this enough credit).

Alas... Die-hard Reason 10 user here, even though I have a license for 11 (I upgraded to 10 within August last year which gave me a dual license).
Yeah I upgraded in June and missed the free upgrade to 11... still happy with my upgrade from 8...

Proboscis

14 Feb 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
14 Feb 2020
No more Rewire support
Hey ShelLuser, we get it. Or at least I do. I have enjoyed reading many of your posts, and I completely understand and empathize with how R11's scrapping of ReWire impacts your way of creativity. But I suspect you're in the minority of overall Reason users.

guitfnky

14 Feb 2020

7, for me. the thing that concerns me though isn’t the current score. 7 is a respectable rating. the concerning thing is the trajectory of that score over time. I would’ve rated v9 a 9 or 10. v10 an 8 or 9. if they continue focusing on devices and stuff for Reason as a VST, at the expense of bringing the DAW up to modern standards, that score is going to keep moving in the wrong direction for me, and I suspect I’m not alone in that.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Feb 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Feb 2020

Honestly I think it could be better served as a rating for 'Reason in general' since we have several other threads to gauge people's assessment of R11 as an upgrade. But in the end, the latest version is the most feature rich...
The only reason I wanted people to rate Reason 11 specifically is because that's how far Reason has gotten to this point AS A DAW. If some people are rating R7, R8 instead we are not rating the same product. And that's not where Reason as a DAW is currently at.

The point of this thread was not to focus on whether or not you liked the "R11 upgrade" specifically. But unfortunately I think people will automatically think about how they felt about the upgrade or other problems with Reason Studios as a company. That wasn't my intention with this thread. But of course people are free to comment however they like and if they feel the need to bring those things up related to this topic then that's fine.

Yonatan

15 Feb 2020

10 if compare it with a cassette porta studio. So it is all about in what light you look upon it. As for what R11 could have been, and coming from R10, cant go higher than 6, and that is a kind choice.
There is no objectivity in such a poll but kind of interesting to see the overall tendency. It quite good reflects how ppl write and discuss in the forum.
My vote would go up a notch if core DAW as well as the plugin gets a decent update now a half year after release date.

gullum

15 Feb 2020

9 from me, because it's not be all end all just yet, even though I can't see what they really need to add but there is room for improvements.
I could do mostly all I needed to do in Reason5+ Record but now I can do the same a little faster and better.

EdGrip

15 Feb 2020

There were little bits all over the place that would benefit from refinement, and we've been over them.
The more I think about it though, I think Reason's main problem is its ability to scale to large projects - or lack of it.

My "projects" never get huge, and they're more about me experimenting with sound design (Reason's biggest strength) and even I get annoyed by the mess and clutter.

So this includes grouping and hiding mix channels and making the whole of the mixer easier to navigate (we have the little mixer section overview to help us, and the ability to hide mixer sections - even so, mixers in other audio-focused DAWs feel neater).

The other big part of this scalability problem is the rack. Again, we can collapse the devices we're not currently using with the alt-collapse device command - but the cables remain. We can press K to partially hide the cables that we're not focusing on, but the spaghetti remains. On a complex device, connections are hidden under other cables and it can be difficult to see at a glance what's going on. The back of the rack can be a chaotic mess even with everything collapsed and K engaged - and if you want to actually see what's connected to where in an overview... Well, you know. Spaghetti reigns.

I think this all has to do with the roots in Rebirth, when I think the expectation was that people would make fairly simple 90s-style techno or hip-hop, with a drum machine and two or three synths or samplers.

So I think what's needed is an overhaul with an eye to making big complicated projects easier to navigate and handle. Reason needs to scale up - not just in pixels, but in project handling. :)

Yonatan

15 Feb 2020

EdGrip wrote:
15 Feb 2020
There were little bits all over the place that would benefit from refinement, and we've been over them.
The more I think about it though, I think Reason's main problem is its ability to scale to large projects - or lack of it.

My "projects" never get huge, and they're more about me experimenting with sound design (Reason's biggest strength) and even I get annoyed by the mess and clutter.

So this includes grouping and hiding mix channels and making the whole of the mixer easier to navigate (we have the little mixer section overview to help us, and the ability to hide mixer sections - even so, mixers in other audio-focused DAWs feel neater).

The other big part of this scalability problem is the rack. Again, we can collapse the devices we're not currently using with the alt-collapse device command - but the cables remain. We can press K to partially hide the cables that we're not focusing on, but the spaghetti remains. On a complex device, connections are hidden under other cables and it can be difficult to see at a glance what's going on. The back of the rack can be a chaotic mess even with everything collapsed and K engaged - and if you want to actually see what's connected to where in an overview... Well, you know. Spaghetti reigns.

I think this all has to do with the roots in Rebirth, when I think the expectation was that people would make fairly simple 90s-style techno or hip-hop, with a drum machine and two or three synths or samplers.

So I think what's needed is an overhaul with an eye to making big complicated projects easier to navigate and handle. Reason needs to scale up - not just in pixels, but in project handling. :)
Yes that is spot on! I guess I have mentioned it also in some thread. It is very well put. I. mean as long as I do some basic beats and ideas and play around with sound design as if in a lab, that is where Reason has its place so far.
Or even basic singer songwriter is ok.

But with a bit bigger projects and audio/midi editing and exceeding 10 min span of length and many tracks, then it very quickly gets cumbersome to work efficient enough.

If and when RS goes into getting workflow betterments in those instances, it will be a joy all from a few beats to more complex works.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Feb 2020

EdGrip wrote:
15 Feb 2020

Here's what a comprehensive EDM track looks like in Reason :lol:

Yonatan

15 Feb 2020

Nr 10 must be the option for all of the RS Staff
(please make us rest and have some vacation!) ;)

Creativemind

15 Feb 2020

What's with the gaps in the numbers?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

guitfnky

15 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
15 Feb 2020

😳

what I really want to know is how that sounds.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
15 Feb 2020
I also think some voters are obviously wrong with their choice. They should be disclosed and given vacation in Siberia.

Yonatan

15 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
15 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
15 Feb 2020
I also think some voters are obviously wrong with their choice. They should be disclosed and given vacation in Siberia.
Siberia is getting warmer.

I think the positions in the poll that is most biased is 1, 2 and 10.
All the other is off course a pesonal experience too but in the span of being realistic.
But if someone hate Reason (no trolls so far) , think it is horrible or that it is absolutely perfect (nothing is) then it is based on some strong bias against or to defend something fanatically.
Reason 11 is a lot for many but never horrible or perfect.
But if the poll is interpreted as what one thinks about R11 upgrade, then it might be legit, but it says nothing about to judge the upgrade per se, nor to vote according to what one might think of RS marketing or other, just the software.

PhillipOrdonez

15 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
15 Feb 2020
EdGrip wrote:
15 Feb 2020

Looks fake. A lot of devices look like they are off or initialised.

• Information