You also feeling ripped off upgrading?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

12 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
12 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
12 Feb 2020

that’s what I’m wondering too. the features were very clearly outlined, so we knew what we were getting before buying anything.
Says also that he already had all the Props REs he wanted and the nine he got in Suite he didn’t really need and won’t use. So why buy Suite? Maybe I misunderstood.
exactly. you can’t get ripped off if you don’t buy something! especially if you don’t want/need it.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
12 Feb 2020
MrFigg wrote:
12 Feb 2020

Says also that he already had all the Props REs he wanted and the nine he got in Suite he didn’t really need and won’t use. So why buy Suite? Maybe I misunderstood.
exactly. you can’t get ripped off if you don’t buy something! especially if you don’t want/need it.
Personally I thought the Suite deal was amazing and was a bit bummed (like many) that I’d already bought all the ones in the bundle that I wanted (most at high prices). I certainly wasn’t going to upgrade to Suite in order to “complete my Propellerheads RE collection” That also taught me never to buy Props own REs again which is a shame.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

12 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
12 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
12 Feb 2020

Personally I thought the Suite deal was amazing and was a bit bummed (like many) that I’d already bought all the ones in the bundle that I wanted (most at high prices). I certainly wasn’t going to upgrade to Suite in order to “complete my Propellerheads RE collection” That also taught me never to buy Props own REs again which is a shame.
yeah, it’s a great deal, and a great (though unfortunate) “buyer beware” lesson. I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot because of it. it’s worth it for lots of folks, but wasn’t the most customer-friendly way to go about it.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

marcuswitt

12 Feb 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Nobody is forcing anyone to upgrade to suite. For some of us it was a bargain and we took it. Not for you? Ok. What's the issue?
Good comment, mate! I totally agree with you.

kitekrazy

12 Feb 2020

zebbleganubi wrote:
12 Feb 2020
kitekrazy wrote:
12 Feb 2020
I avoid most RE's because they clutter up the OS drive without the simple option LIKE OTHER DAWS to most extras to a different drive.
i could be wrong but i think you can symlink the folder. i symlinked the soundbank files before and it worked but that was on the same drive. you could have all your reason stuff in one folder and then run a bash script after you install reason that would add links in all the different locations.

for creating one off symlinks "Link Shell Extension" is probably the quickest and easiest way ive found
https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshe ... nsion.html
That's a hassle. No other DAW requires that. You'd think the developers could figure this out by now.

zoidkirb

12 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
12 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
12 Feb 2020

that’s what I’m wondering too. the features were very clearly outlined, so we knew what we were getting before buying anything.
Because he thought at the time he was still going to pick up an extra $1000 or something worth of value for a 'bargain price' .

I think most of us are guilty of buying stuff at one time or another because the deal seems too good to pass up, only to realise you've collected something completely unnecessary in the name of FOMO, or GAS.

Hopefully he can learn from his mistake (or get a refund)

blaasvaer

12 Feb 2020

Erm, I didn’t buy it. That’s the whole ... well, never mind. Let’s just leave it at this.

Thanks to all for at least sharing your views.

blaasvaer

12 Feb 2020

And just as a tip: please, read the entire thread if you wish to add constructively to the thread, as it seemed to go haywire at some point, taking it in a bit of a wrong direction. Kind of funny, though ; )

PhillipOrdonez

12 Feb 2020

blaasvaer wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Erm, I didn’t buy it. That’s the whole ... well, never mind. Let’s just leave it at this.

Thanks to all for at least sharing your views.
Wait for 12, or 13. It is not unheard of to skip an update or a bunch! If I didn't need the rack plugin and didn't want the stuff included in suite, I wouldn't have upgraded. Simple as that.

moneykube

12 Feb 2020

I missed the fact he bought it :o ... I took one look and said no to suite since I have most of what is offered already. The update to the daw was very small for the price asked... if you want it as a plug for another daw I guess it is worth it... not interested in that part of it... I can use rewire in 10 if a need to use 2 daws . (Like using video in another daw since reason does not support video play back)
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

blaasvaer

12 Feb 2020

Well, as said. Read the thread. I DID NOT BUY IT!
Closing on that ... over and out.

zoidkirb

12 Feb 2020

blaasvaer wrote:
12 Feb 2020
And just as a tip: please, read the entire thread if you wish to add constructively to the thread, as it seemed to go haywire at some point, taking it in a bit of a wrong direction. Kind of funny, though ; )
The way you worded your title was in the past tense ('ripped off') which led a few people to think you were claiming you'd been 'ripped off' and had hence already bought the thing.

blaasvaer

12 Feb 2020

Good point ... just can’t figure out how to ‘reword’ in this UI (on mobile, don’t know if it’s different on desktop).

moneykube

12 Feb 2020

blaasvaer wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Well, as said. Read the thread. I DID NOT BUY IT!
Closing on that ... over and out.
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: good I read it right then
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

OP, the way I read your post is:

“I was going to buy R11 Suite, but now I’m having second thoughts. The deal sounds nice at first, but on closer inspection it seems a little hollow. Am I off?”

That’s a perfectly reasonable and understandable post in my opinion. We often outsource problem-solving to the wisdom of the group. For those of us hoping for core improvements to Reason, this upgrade cycle did seem disappointing. I didn’t upgrade. You probably already know this but I’ll say it anyway for what it’s worth: You’re not alone and you’re not off.

blaasvaer

12 Feb 2020

And that makes me feel at least a little good, thanks ; )

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

Aha!!!! See now that you wrote "GET ripped off" and not "GOT" ripped off. Get it now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

pushedbutton

12 Feb 2020

Reason 11 Suite is an excellent upgrade... for Reason 8 owners.
I've got a tent on both sides of the fence. I have Reason 10 at home and there's no incentive to upgrade to 11, for me.
At work we had Reason 8 and while it was functional for most of the stuff we were trying to achieve there was enough of an incentive to upgrade to 11 and because I'd been a good boy we got the suite version. So in conclusion, if you're stuck with an older version of Reason and you can spend someone else's money, get Reason Suite.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jam-s

12 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
12 Feb 2020
That also taught me never to buy Props own REs again which is a shame.
That's exactly the lesson the ex-Props reinforce with their bundles (Suite + Rigs) and not offering a "complete your bundle" discount option at the same time (like for example Waves does).

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

No disappointment here. If I feel there is not enough new additions to justify the upgrade price, I refuse to reward them for a poor effort. I'm content to skip a version, maybe even two, and get a much better value out of it. Nobody's compelling me to have the latest & greatest
blaasvaer wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Could someone maybe shed some light of what I'm missing in this upgrade strategy being ok? Or are we all just happy supporters (blind religious people)
This is a big part of the problem - that people do support every new rollout, regardless of content. If we all stood together and said NO by not upgrading, then they might reconsider their offerings.

At the end of the day, the magic is in the user's creativity, not in the extra tools.

orthodox
RE Developer

12 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
This is a big part of the problem - that people do support every new rollout, regardless of content. If we all stood together and said NO by not upgrading, then they might reconsider their offerings.
Yeah, we should form a customer union and go on strike. United we stand!

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
No disappointment here. If I feel there is not enough new additions to justify the upgrade price, I refuse to reward them for a poor effort. I'm content to skip a version, maybe even two, and get a much better value out of it. Nobody's compelling me to have the latest & greatest
blaasvaer wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Could someone maybe shed some light of what I'm missing in this upgrade strategy being ok? Or are we all just happy supporters (blind religious people)

At the end of the day, the magic is in the user's creativity, not in the extra tools.
Reason 11 was pretty huge for me. I didn't own anything that it came with. Was on Reason 9 still.

Not sure why you think people support every rollout regardless of content.I certainly didn't with Reason 10.

"At the end of the day, the magic is in the user's creativity, not in the extra tools." absolutely.. no matter how many features they give us it's not going to help our music improve. When I open Reason I don't think about how limited I am or what features I need to make music, I just start gettin' jiggy with what I've got.

Remember, if Reason doesn't have the core features you "need" to make music, then there has got to be a DAW out there that does. No use in fighting that!

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Yea, same. Thats live. I do not buy any RS RE anymore.
Me too. I'm no longer prepared to support Reason Studios in any form, until I pay my final 'exit tax' to obtain the Reason VST and be gone from their stone-age platform and rudderless ship for good.

joeyluck

13 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
12 Feb 2020
MrFigg wrote:
12 Feb 2020

yeah, it’s a great deal, and a great (though unfortunate) “buyer beware” lesson. I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot because of it. it’s worth it for lots of folks, but wasn’t the most customer-friendly way to go about it.
I mean hey...if folks want to wait years for something to potentially be included in a bundle... I just buy stuff I want and need and try my best to time the sales. We all want to catch a sale. But the use I have gotten out of some REs far outweighs what someone gets waiting up to 6 years or so...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Feb 2020

joeyluck wrote:
13 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
12 Feb 2020

I mean hey...if folks want to wait years for something to potentially be included in a bundle... I just buy stuff I want and need and try my best to time the sales. We all want to catch a sale. But the use I have gotten out of some REs far outweighs what someone gets waiting up to 6 years or so...
Nah...I bought REB and RDK REs despite having both the refills already. Then they showed up in the Rigs bundle...so NOT years. Same year actually.

Edit: oh yeah...and now also in Suite.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information