List your ideas for "easy" upgrades to current modules

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
C//AZM

10 Feb 2020

Steedus wrote:
30 Dec 2019

Redrum - Add a 'mono' switch for forcing stereo samples to mono.
Wait...Doesn't only plugging in the Left cord give you the entire sound in mono, just like with HW instruments?

Steedus
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2020

Yeah but quite often I actually make a full rhythm in a Redrum and mix it using the device (level, pan etc) rather than breaking out each sound to it's own channel, so a simple button on the device would help get around having to break out a single hit just to make it mono. It's not a big deal, just something that would be handy every now and then.

C//AZM

11 Feb 2020

Steedus wrote:
10 Feb 2020
Yeah but quite often I actually make a full rhythm in a Redrum and mix it using the device (level, pan etc) rather than breaking out each sound to it's own channel, so a simple button on the device would help get around having to break out a single hit just to make it mono. It's not a big deal, just something that would be handy every now and then.
Ok, so you want a mono version of that redrum mix?

w1pl0c

11 Feb 2020

Mixer 14:2 > Add 2 more channels so we can use it with the Kong and not have to Chain to use all 16 pads.

And this isn't necessarily what you're asking but let me dream...

Pulsar > Add cv Graph that can be clicked and dragged into Arrangement.

Loque

11 Feb 2020

w1pl0c wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Mixer 14:2 > Add 2 more channels so we can use it with the Kong and not have to Chain to use all 16 pads.

And this isn't necessarily what you're asking but let me dream...

Pulsar > Add cv Graph that can be clicked and dragged into Arrangement.
I need more "sends". I always run out of sends if i am heavily experimenting. And having tons of parallel channels is cumbersome and confusing and feedback loops can get even more heavy. So just gimme 2-4 more sends and i am happy.
Reason12, Win10

Steedus
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2020

C//AZM wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Steedus wrote:
10 Feb 2020
Ok, so you want a mono version of that redrum mix?
Nah keep the stereo output, but have the ability to force a single channel on the redrum (or 2) into mono if I don't like the fact the sample is stereo. Changing the whole Redrum into mono would lose the stereo mix of the panning.

While I'm at it, why not also add a reverse button? ;) I use Redrum alot.

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2019
who wants to open up a giant-ass Thor unit to fudge around with when all they want is some noise?
Since this thread has been necro'd by others, I'll respond to something that was mentioned earlier (6+ months ago haha, but I know guitfnky is still an active member)..

Why not use the 'Giant Ass Thor' for stuff it's not primarily intended for, what's the burden in a project ? I often want to have an inline CV on/off switch, and using Thor's mod matrix + in/outs, I can do it. The only space it takes up is 1U when folded (not 2U, because there's no need for it to have it's own mix channel). And it's not taking up any CPU worth discussing.

Actually, I might often have a series of CV controls assigned to Combinator buttons or rotaries. So I could have eight CV on/off switches and other matrix-programmed controls full of Thors, all of which still takes up only 1U.

Loque

12 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2019
who wants to open up a giant-ass Thor unit to fudge around with when all they want is some noise?
Since this thread has been necro'd by others, I'll respond to something that was mentioned earlier (6+ months ago haha, but I know guitfnky is still an active member)..

Why not use the 'Giant Ass Thor' for stuff it's not primarily intended for, what's the burden in a project ? I often want to have an inline CV on/off switch, and using Thor's mod matrix + in/outs, I can do it. The only space it takes up is 1U when folded (not 2U, because there's no need for it to have it's own mix channel). And it's not taking up any CPU worth discussing.

Actually, I might often have a series of CV controls assigned to Combinator buttons or rotaries. So I could have eight CV on/off switches and other matrix-programmed controls full of Thors, all of which still takes up only 1U.
Well, i ignored guitfnky's comment. Just one thing to say: Before RS re-implements a existing feature, they should focus on important missing things and Thor has lots of noise generators, which can be dramatically manipulated directly in Thor -> Perfect noise generator!
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

12 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
12 Feb 2020
guitfnky wrote:
19 Jun 2019

of course you can use it for that if you want, but that’s hardly the point. this ignores most of the rest of what I said:
who wants to open up a giant-ass Thor unit to fudge around with when all they want is some noise? Thor’s fine as a synth, and it can obviously do a lot of other stuff, but it’s ugly and unwieldy, if you’ve neither the time nor inclination to learn it—I would much rather use just about anything else if I can help it, in pretty much any scenario. shouldn’t have to RTFM to figure out how to use a Thor just to generate some noise that could (should) be easily achieved in another simpler stock device. ART would be a natural fit.

sorry for the rant, I just can’t stand the “just use Thor” one-size-fits-all solution. 😆
there are a lot of devices in Reason that can be repurposed to do other things. the point I was making is that using Thor to *only* generate sound is like using a fire hose to fill your water bottle. it’s overkill, plain and simple.

it’s not a great solution if you’re not already familiar with Thor. you shouldn’t have to RTFM, or pull up a Youtube video just to figure out how to get a bit of noise out of the thing, and if you’ve never used Thor, there’s a good chance you’d need to. I suppose this would be the “burden” you’re asking about.

I had responded because someone dismissed the idea of adding noise to ART, which seems silly, since much of that device’s purpose is to add grit and noise to a sound. it would be a perfect fit. sillier still, because the ask is really nothing more than a thought experiment. we all know there’s never going to be a noise generator added to ART.

I don’t get the point of dismissing good suggestions because “you can do it with Thor” (or insert other workaround here). I think we can all agree there are too many workarounds in Reason as it is.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

demt

12 Feb 2020

ive oft said this yet will you remember the tricks or become swamped by choice 1000 pg manual

and counting is a tad diff to keep an i on
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2020

For legacy devices:

Kong: More FX slots: 8 per pad, and 4 for bus and master. Add FX from RV7000, Audiomatic, Scream, etc. Bring pretty much all Rack FX into Kong, and it would stand out. Now it is good, but most DAWs have an equivalent. This would bring it back to be a leader.
Thor: FXs like Europa, modern OTA filter, Unison w stereo, Supersaw osc, User w-table osc.
VST: midi out (obviously), they idea above was great, 8 assignable macros to attach to multiple VST parameters, AND a default setting that will be remembered per VST, so every time I drag in my U-He Diva, those 8 macro knobs are assigned as default.

I don't use Maelstrom or Subractor much at all, but it seems some still do, so:
Maelstrom, and FX section
Subtractor: curved envelopes (analog style that is, as opposed to the digital linear mode they have now)
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Creativemind

01 Mar 2020

Boombastix wrote:
26 Feb 2020
For legacy devices:

Kong: More FX slots: 8 per pad, and 4 for bus and master. Add FX from RV7000, Audiomatic, Scream, etc. Bring pretty much all Rack FX into Kong, and it would stand out. Now it is good, but most DAWs have an equivalent. This would bring it back to be a leader.
Thor: FXs like Europa, modern OTA filter, Unison w stereo, Supersaw osc, User w-table osc.
VST: midi out (obviously), they idea above was great, 8 assignable macros to attach to multiple VST parameters, AND a default setting that will be remembered per VST, so every time I drag in my U-He Diva, those 8 macro knobs are assigned as default.

I don't use Maelstrom or Subractor much at all, but it seems some still do, so:
Maelstrom, and FX section
Subtractor: curved envelopes (analog style that is, as opposed to the digital linear mode they have now)
I don't use Maelstrom either, that's 'cause it's called Malstrom. Anyway, the envelopes you describe I think are exponential envelopes. Both Thor and Subtractor should allow you to switch from linear to exponential.

Thor btw has a supersaw oscillator, it's called the Unison Oscillator. Works very well. I would like to see a vintage analogue oscillator and a sub-oscillator oscillator types and like others have said, more wavetables for the wavetable oscillator.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

01 Mar 2020

Spaceship wrote:
06 Jun 2019
The Echo - Add CV outputs for its internal modulators (LFO and Envelope)

Europa - Add individual outputs for its oscillators, audio inputs, and the ability to use audio sources as modulators in the mod matrix.

Redrum - Add the ability to copy a pattern's steps 1 - 16 to steps 17 - 64.
Or even better, the ability to open up ReDrum to show a step sequencer (Like in FL Studio) for all the sounds.

Europa - add a loadable user wavetable for all 3 engines.

The Echo - An output gain parameter at the end of the signal chain (on the far right) to be able to adjust the volume as it often lowers the volume so you may want to adjust back. An Auto function would be good too to automatically put it back to the volume it was at the start.

dioxide

02 Mar 2020

Mixer 14:2: and Line Mixer display values in db as tooltips. Also for Redrum's volume levels. Maybe for legacy instrument Main Volume also.

Redrum seq, Matrix, RPG and Thor seq as Players.

Single Redrum and Kong drum devices. I work with individual drums in Combinators, and often only use a single slot in a Redrum or Kong when I am creating a drum patch.

dioxide

02 Mar 2020

Turn the pad section of Kong into a Player so it can be used with keysplit Combinators or other drum devices. Allow each pad to have its own Players so you can insert repeats or other Players per pad.

EdwardKiy

14 Mar 2020

OCTOREX: sample length editing window, like in the NNXT

Creativemind

14 Jun 2020

scratchnsnifff wrote:
11 Jun 2019
Scream 4- a few extra distortion modes. But honestly I think it makes more sense for them to just make a waveshaper with drawable XY curves

Thor- more wavetables or oscillators
Even new filters are doable

There is a lot of proof that stuff can be added without breaking backwards compatibility. But in my opinion I can’t remember the last time I opened a Reason 5 project. Or even a reason 8 project. It’s all quite pointless (in my case) when Reason 10 and beyond has more and more.
Yeah clip distortion and as long as no parameters or things are removed, no device updates will lose backwards compatibility.

Maybe they could update Scream (a Scream 5 so to speak) and add a waveshaper module in it, they could also add a transient shaper, an exciter, saturation and haas maybe? make all parameters readings in something that makes sense too. One of the things that bugs me in Reason that.

NDKay

15 Jun 2020

There are already some good ideas !

Synchronous - Give it patterns, give it more rates, add the "paint envelope" functionality like in europa or grain and add a mod matrix
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

djsmex

15 Jun 2020

I'd like to see browser control added to the document scope of remote. Things like expand/collapse folders, up-one-level, preview play/stop and text output of folder/file names. This would greatly extend how much external controllers can do and if linked up through accessible web browser interfaces, could greatly improve accessibility of Reason to blind and other users. A little like how the native-instruments Kontrol keyboards were made accessible.

deeplink
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2020

- Rack - An option to dim or grey scale all the devices in the rack besides the one that you've selected and its signal chain that would be great.
- Rack - selecting multiple mix channels and adjusting levels, mutes will effect all selected mix channels (as with the main mixer)
- Rack - provide number metering to mixer level display - or atleast show where the red bit will start...
- Mixer - midi focus from mixer window
- Mixer - give peak indicator on individual tracks, including in rack view
- Spectrum EQ - instead of 'F2' just showing the spectrum EQ, let it show and give a visual illustration of all mix channel settings. or perhaps just the gain and compressor/gate settings.. if you could adjust the settings on these without switching to the main mixer i think (like with the eq) i think it could speed up the workflow tremendously.
- Combinator - 4 more combinator knobs and buttons, and more slots - including the mix channel
- Kong - 'quick select' for Kong drum outputs
- Kong - on/off toggle for rex loops for endless/live looping
- RV-7000 - dedicated HP/LP filters and spread
- Mclass EQ - gain output
- All effect devices visual/numerical incoming level and outgoing level indicators
- [bAll effect devices[/b]- A bigger bypass/on/off switch button on effect devices
- All devices set your own default patch
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

mjxl

14 Jul 2020

Re8et wrote:
30 Dec 2019
I would like to see copy - paste of patterns in the Drum player
Super late, but you can actually do this :P
Not sure if you found that out already

• Information