Please help! "Some Reason songs were not closed properly"

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
alzado

09 Feb 2020

I am in desperate need of your help. I've been working on a song for weeks and had an offer to use it in a commercial. The client wants me to make a few changes to fit the format of the spot. Imagine my horror when I go to open the Reason project file and it won't open. Aaaaargh!

Here's what happened:

I wrote the song on a macbook running macOS Mojave and using Reason 10.4.1. When I reopened Reason (it opens to my default track setup), I noticed the download update prompt in the sequencer so I clicked download/install and updated to 10.4.1d. After it updated, I attempted to open my project file and I received the error message below.

After seeing the error, I looked up what the Reason update was all about and it said that it provided macOS Catalina support. So, I bit the bullet and updated my mac to Catalina thinking that would solve the problem. But when I tried to open the project file after updating to Catalina, Reason just shuts down. No error message. Nothing. It just shuts down.

Has anyone else experienced this? Please help! I've reached out to customer support too but while I wait for a response, I thought I would check with you folks too. If I lose this track I will be crushed. Anyone insight you folks might have would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Attachments
Image 2-8-20 at 11.13 AM.JPG
Image 2-8-20 at 11.13 AM.JPG (53.15 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

boesOne

11 Feb 2020

Yes, It happend when i updated to 10.4.1d. I didnt update to Catalina but got the same error. Files using Ozone8 plugins didn't open anymore and threw the same error as you get. Other files opend fine. So i think it might be a misbehaving VST.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2020

I would have gone the other way and downgraded Reason back to 10.4.1

alzado

11 Feb 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
11 Feb 2020
I had that thought but didn't think it was possible. How would I downgrade back?

alzado

11 Feb 2020

boesOne wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Yes, It happend when i updated to 10.4.1d. I didnt update to Catalina but got the same error. Files using Ozone8 plugins didn't open anymore and threw the same error as you get. Other files opend fine. So i think it might be a misbehaving VST.
I don't have Ozone8 but I do have Izotope vocalsynth running in this track. I wonder if that's the culprit? Did you find a fix?

alzado

11 Feb 2020

I can't try this until I get home tonight, but John from Reason Studios says:
Try the following and let me know if it helps:

Open macOS "Security & Privacy" system preference and check that that Reason is allowed access suggested folders, in Privacy/Files and Folders.
Also enable Reason in "Full disk access". Now, try launch Reason 10.4.1 stand-alone once, then quit it. No launch your session again. Any difference?

boesOne

11 Feb 2020

alzado wrote:
11 Feb 2020

I don't have Ozone8 but I do have Izotope vocalsynth running in this track. I wonder if that's the culprit? Did you find a fix?
No. I finished the track on my win10 machine and reinstalled the macbook. Also i could make reason crash repeatedly by dragging in the Izotope Ozone 8 vsts, so that's why i assumed those were the culprits, together with the obervation that projects without these loaded fine. Ozone 9 works fine after reinstall on the macbook.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

alzado wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
11 Feb 2020
I had that thought but didn't think it was possible. How would I downgrade back?
You can get back to old versions here...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

I always keep a local copy of the current version so if I have any issues with a upgrade I can go back.

alzado

12 Feb 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
12 Feb 2020
You can get back to old versions here...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/updates

I always keep a local copy of the current version so if I have any issues with a upgrade I can go back.
This is awesome. Thank you!

alzado

12 Feb 2020

An update from Reason Studios:
Hi,

I'm with you that it's likely to be Catalina (or Mojave) related, where Apple has tightened a lot of permissions audio apps need.
We've only had a handful of reports, so it's not Catalina/Reason in general. Reason 10.4.1 was the Catalina-fix, nothing showed up during testing and for most users it does work.
One thing you could try is to manually remove any Reason components, then re-install 10.4.1. Here's what to remove:

Applications:
Macintosh HD/Applications/Reason 10
Macintosh HD/Applications/Authorizer

Sound Banks, Remote, ReWire:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/

License agreement:
Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/Reason License Agreement.dat

Template Songs and Optional Content:
~/Music/Reason
~/Music/Propellerhead Content

The user library folder (~/Library) is hidden by default. To open it, press the Option key while opening the "Go" menu in Finder, then select "Library".

Cache and default Scratch Disk:
~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/Reason

Preferences:
~/Library/Preferences/Reason 10 Preferences
~/Library/Preferences/se.propellerheads.reason.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ReasonStableUpdateCheck.prf
~/Library/Preferences/Reason Plugin Folders.prf

Application support data (including Rack Extensions, backup these manually if you don't want to re-download):
~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/

That said, I will ask R&D to investigate this, as it could most like be resolved in Catalina by fixing permissions/entitlements etc, without updating the Reason 10 application again (which there are no current plans for).

All the best,

John
Product Support
Reason Studios

• Information