Akai announces new MPC ONE

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

15 Jan 2020

Well, I didn't see this coming. Nice that it's an entry level MPC, and it affirms my decision to buy an MPC Live last year (as this means the OS/firmware will continue to be supported and developed):

$699 USD

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-one

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

O1B

15 Jan 2020

ummm..... Y. E. S.

no question. Mine.
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2020
Well, I didn't see this coming. Nice that it's an entry level MPC, and it affirms my decision to buy an MPC Live last year (as this means the OS/firmware will continue to be supported and developed):

$699 USD

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-one

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0A-db-eUn0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzM38LNaBQU

EnochLight

15 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
15 Jan 2020
ummm..... Y. E. S.

no question. Mine.
Just some things to keep in mind, compared to the MPC Live (which retails for $300 USD more), the MPC One has some differences:
  • No battery (so it must always be plugged in to a power source)
  • Smaller pads
  • No phono pre-amp in for sampling a turntable
  • No ability to add a SATA drive (though it does have an SD port)
  • No Bluetooth (so no wireless MIDI controllers)
  • No WiFi (so Ableton Link must be obtained using the wired Link port in the back)
Still, if you're looking to save $300 USD over the Live yet get your foot in the door of the MPC, I'd say the One is a perfect gateway. And since the One, Live, and X all share the same OS (with the Force as well), it's guaranteed that it will continue to be supported with OS updates and firmware features for the next several years.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

15 Jan 2020

The design is a little too boxy for me. I guess inspired by the earlier models? It's such a large box and then a 3.5 mm headphone output?

Or if going for the blocky look, go all the way retro and make a white version :) Is there enough electronics inside this thing to constitute its size?

I do like the look of the MPC X (the contour of the sides and the slight slant that make it ergonomic sitting at a desk). I'd like to see a similar form factor used. A smaller, fixed position screen would be fine. Just reusing the overall aesthetic from the MPC X would be cool.

EnochLight

15 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
15 Jan 2020
The design is a little too boxy for me. I guess inspired by the earlier models? It's such a large box and then a 3.5 mm headphone output?
Funny enough, the MPC Live (which retails for $1000 USD) also has a 3.5 mm headphone ouput. I think Akai's reasoning is that the vast majority of people in the world all have earbuds for their phones, so a 3.5 mm jack just made sense. The X has a 3.5 mm jack along with a 1/4" (6.35 mm) proper, but that obviously stays put in home studios where most will have a set of cans.

I actually really like the MPC Live's boxy approach, but it's more a rectangle so I think it works better. I agree the One is pretty damn square - LOL! :lol:

O1B

16 Jan 2020

Many thanks for that List.

I have the MPC Live.

NO Battery or SATA Drive is unfortunate. But, it's a nice alternative to Digitakt - the MPC is actually Stereo
It's been a Great Year, so far!
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2020
O1B wrote:
15 Jan 2020
ummm..... Y. E. S.

no question. Mine.
Just some things to keep in mind, compared to the MPC Live (which retails for $300 USD more), the MPC One has some differences:
  • Smaller pads.
  • No WiFi (so Ableton Link must be obtained using the wired Link port in the back)
Still, if you're looking to save $300 USD over the Live yet get your foot in the door of the MPC, I'd say the One is a perfect gateway. And since the One, Live, and X all share the same OS (with the Force as well), it's guaranteed that it will continue to be supported with OS updates and firmware features for the next several years.

Ixus

16 Jan 2020

Dammit. I've been eyeing the Blackbox and Digitakt as an alternative to just making music in DAW. But what always stops me is the workflow that just doesnt look like its for me. This seems a bit easier to get into, maybe its the screen that does it, but i have som GAS building for sure!

I like the shape too looks great

I hope it has time stretch.

O1B

16 Jan 2020

I have the Black Box. Don't count it out as a Sound Module. It's incredible.

With the MPC One linked to the Black Box... that, would be a Killer DUO, for sure.
The Digitakt is not really 'playable' (chicklets) from my experiences. It's very 'Sequence'-able, though.
Ixus wrote:
16 Jan 2020
Dammit. I've been eyeing the Blackbox and Digitakt as an alternative to just making music in DAW. But what always stops me is the workflow that just doesnt look like its for me. This seems a bit easier to get into, maybe its the screen that does it, but i have som GAS building for sure!

I like the shape too looks great

Thanks again for the heads up. I don't Ableton or Wifi Audio - but I may - and, I rarely Phono, but I have modules for phono GAIN.

The Eight CV Ports make the ONE a Must Have for Drum sequencing ( :mrgreen: un-Quantized :mrgreen: ) Blackbox, RD-8, Modules..
. I carry the Drumbrute Impact daily (Love it!) - but, the ONE + BlackBox is about the same Footprint.
EnochLight wrote:
15 Jan 2020

• Smaller pads

EnochLight

16 Jan 2020

Ixus wrote:
16 Jan 2020
The One, the Live, and the X all have time stretch in standalone, but it handles it a bit different. You've got a high-quality non-realtime time-stretch option where you can stretch samples accordingly to match tempo or for various effects by rendering them out to new samples, and then you have a real-time warp option - which - in standalone - does NOT sound the greatest, IMHO. There are MPC-heads that swear by the current MPC "warp" sound, but coming from a proper DAW where audio warping usually sounds indistinguishable from the original audio (give or take a reasonable change in tempo or pitch) I feel it's grating. YMMV...

Ixus

16 Jan 2020

Alright thanks!

I've been watching more videos and now I REALLY want one haha!

jayhosking

16 Jan 2020

I really didn't get on with the Akai Force when I had it, but despite being essentially the same OS, the workflow here seems much faster and better. I might give this one a shot.

EnochLight

16 Jan 2020

Looks like a new Drum Synth plugin is coming to the Live (One, X, Force) in standalone! I'm willing to wager it's based on Air's DS 500 plugin:

IMG-0051.jpg
IMG-0051.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 36042 times
https://www.musictech.net/reviews/softw ... synth-500/

O1B

10 Feb 2020

... loloop

EnochLight

10 Feb 2020

O1B wrote:
10 Feb 2020
... loloop

Just watched that last night. It's actually a good guide for those even interested in the MPC Live and X, though the shortcut keys are different (or in the case of the Live, only accessible via the main menu). Loopop's channel is awesome.

O1B

11 Feb 2020

Loloop has been quite helpful to me, as well. You, too, Cuckoo.

This looks to be the One for me. Pity about the Battery,
- but I needs some MPC - PLAY :puf_smile: and PLAY START :puf_bigsmile:
EnochLight wrote:
10 Feb 2020

Just watched that last night. It's actually a good guide for those even interested in the MPC Live and X, though the shortcut keys are different (or in the case of the Live, only accessible via the main menu). Loopop's channel is awesome.

EnochLight

11 Feb 2020

O1B wrote:
11 Feb 2020
This looks to be the One for me. Pity about the Battery,
- but I needs some MPC - PLAY :puf_smile: and PLAY START :puf_bigsmile:
Hahah! Yeah, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a fun little machine and a great sampler/sequencer. And the bonus? It just keeps getting better as Akai releases regular firmware updates throughout the year adding more features - all for free. They don't even charge for their major version releases.

PhillipOrdonez

11 Feb 2020

Looks interesting. Makes me regret buying maschine mk3.

Jackjackdaw

11 Feb 2020

Just discovered complex keygroups last night in MPC software . The manual is very vague on the subject and the gui makes it hard but you can use them to create more than 4 velocity layers if you need to. Just thought I'd share that!

selig
RE Developer

11 Feb 2020

Ohh, and CV gate outputs too, something MPC Live doesn't even have! Need to check this guy out further…
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

12 Feb 2020

When that thing is STANDALONE.. It will be mine... Again.
I loved the MK2 but couldn't stomach the tether with the MK3. come on MK4.
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Tracking says it'll be delivert tomorrow from Musician's Friend. "In Stock & Ready to Ship"
I thought I'd have to wait until mid- April - like for the Keystep PRO. But, it's out!

The SonicState video @19m16s, cues up the NYX for CV play and audio in (FX).
I'm very interested the CV. It's my Gamble for now, giving up LIVE.
selig wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Ohh, and CV gate outputs too, something MPC Live doesn't even have! Need to check this guy out further…
I hope to read INTRO pg 1-10, MPC ONE pp 21-24, and OPERATIONS pp 55-104 in full - by Tomorrow.
Modes (Main, Audio, Sample Edit, and Program Edit) pp 109-234 by Friday.

If this works, I may go... X

PhillipOrdonez

12 Feb 2020

O1B wrote:
12 Feb 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Indeed. I do not like the tether.

Currently it is being used as an oversized soundcard and nothing more. Not even collecting dust cause I got the decksaver 😂

EnochLight

12 Feb 2020

O1B wrote:
12 Feb 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Feb 2020
Indeed. I do not like the tether.

Currently it is being used as an oversized soundcard and nothing more. Not even collecting dust cause I got the decksaver 😂
The problem with making Maschine fully standalone is that it relies on such a robust software suite that requires desktop/laptop class processing, RAM, and performance to function. If they make a truly standalone Maschine, they'll need to really invest in making truly standalone desktop/laptop class hardware to run it - which I would imagine won't be cheap and won't be easy to engineer. Or they'll need to scale down the software to make it run light, which will likely come at a features cost.

The MPC's all run on ARM-class mobile CPU's and small amounts of RAM.

Jackjackdaw

12 Feb 2020

But the USP of new MPCs is that it can be stand alone and hybrid. That's the appeal of the platform to me. Surely Maschine could go the same route?

EnochLight

12 Feb 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
12 Feb 2020
But the USP of new MPCs is that it can be stand alone and hybrid. That's the appeal of the platform to me. Surely Maschine could go the same route?
Perhaps, but the new MPC's obtain this standalone/hybrid mode by making the Touch User Interface OS the exact same, feature-wise, as when it's tethered - with the exception of giving you access to a better Warp quality and allowing you to load VST's and have unlimited audio tracks when tethered to a computer running the desktop MPC Software.

Maschine will need to work backwards to make sure all of the core features and things that Maschine users expect to be able to run 100% on a scaled-down mobile CPU platform. At least, that's my take.

demt

12 Feb 2020

now its been upgdated for the same sort of price 2nd hand
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information