Music as therapy

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
scratchnsnifff

10 Feb 2020

The past few days have been the hardest time of my 26 years on this earth.

My best friend that I grew up with had an accident and is now gone :/

Basically he was the only person there for me when ever needed. He had moved a few states away and had an office setting job.
This job was a big part in his downfall, I do not want to give any actual details. But there was a terrible incident and my world just doesn’t Make sense anymore.

But as the title of this thread goes. I have been messing with Reason when I find it in me to do so. It’s helpful to an extent, but at the same time I find myself just zoning out thinking of times with my friend.

I’d like to know if anyone can shed some light on this topic. Does making or listening to music just push momentary emotional buttons? Or is it something that can help?

Any insight is welcome.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

aeox
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2020

Sorry to hear about your loss .

Making music is very therapeutic for me. Once I get in the zone it takes my mind away from everything else in the world.

scratchnsnifff

10 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
10 Feb 2020
Sorry to hear about your loss .

Making music is very therapeutic for me. Once I get in the zone it takes my mind away from everything else in the world.
It’s a weird thing for me. It helps in a way for sure!

But when i play keys, and embrace the more musical side. That’s when I get off course.

I find the topic interesting either way, thanks for the response.

Noiserunner

11 Feb 2020

What I have learned for myself from my own experience is that all I have done to deal with problems has often only led to the fact that sooner or later I have suppressed them.
I think music can be an outlet, but it can also be a distraction.
The only solution that helps me is to let go. In difficult situations I rarely succeed, but since I firmly believe that this is the chance to live my life, I try to improve this for myself.
Apart from that, I think music is a good way to develop oneself.
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2020

You’re going to think of your friend no matter what man. Of course you are. Just do it. Think of him. Allow yourself to feel whatever it is you feel and recognise it and accept it as a feeling. I don’t mean to sound like some sort of new age therapist but being in the feeling and accepting it for what it is may help to lessen the pain at least over time.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

11 Feb 2020

Sorry that you've lost a friend.

Acceptance will take a while but it will be shorter if you don't suppress your feelings too much. For me music can intensify or distract my feelings depending on the type of music. When my friend died I allowed myself to have times when I listened to the music we liked in common but if I got too emotional I would back off.

scratchnsnifff

11 Feb 2020

Zac wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Sorry that you've lost a friend.

Acceptance will take a while but it will be shorter if you don't suppress your feelings too much. For me music can intensify or distract my feelings depending on the type of music. When my friend died I allowed myself to have times when I listened to the music we liked in common but if I got too emotional I would back off.
I basically exploded when my girlfriend put on a song in the car. I don’t really listen to her jam band stuff all that much so she put her phone on random. And a song that reminds me of him happened to come on.

Lol damn water works came right on, but I do agree it’s making this easier to just let it out.

Unfortunately while I’m dealing with this because I was very close with my friend, now it’s becoming “small town gossip”

So I’m kind of waiting floods of Facebook messages etc.

In the few days Iv taken off I’m finding that I’m just doing random projects with no goal
It’s helping, but that terrible feeling is just there.

I know time will make it better, but god damn it’s rough.

scratchnsnifff

11 Feb 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Feb 2020
You’re going to think of your friend no matter what man. Of course you are. Just do it. Think of him. Allow yourself to feel whatever it is you feel and recognise it and accept it as a feeling. I don’t mean to sound like some sort of new age therapist but being in the feeling and accepting it for what it is may help to lessen the pain at least over time.
I can absolutely agree with this
And that’s kind of how it’s been going. As I said in another reply, it just kind of comes out when a song is played or when I’m zoning.

One part of all of this that makes it terrible, is that other parts of life don’t stop.
Schoolwork is still due
Rent is still there.
This happened on the weekend after a snow day, so I’m having to do some side gigs for money. It’s all just a mess.
Not trying to just throw all my problems out there, but this situation really shows me how complicated life can be. And life doesn’t really care about ones feelings lol.
Been down in the dumps the past few days, but like I said real world problems don’t want to wait.

(Not really trying to rant or what ever, just sharing my experience)

• Information