Genesis Pro, a promising new synth out in Feb 2020

Discuss VST stuff here!
Steedus
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2020

I doubt most people are complaining about the price blankly. No doubt most of the complaints stem from not being able to run it on modern systems. In other words, they're not complaining that a 1 euro VST doesn't support certain features and therefore isn't good value, they're complaining that they won't be able to take advantage of it.

Sure it may be a very good synth. Absolutely it's a fantastic price. And it's definitely had a lot of work put into it. But at the end of the day, it's simply not compatible with most people's setups these days.

Despondo
Competition Winner

10 Feb 2020

32bit Windows only?!? 8 years wasted.....

WongoTheSane

11 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
09 Feb 2020
WongoTheSane wrote:
09 Feb 2020
32 bits only? Should be 50 cents.
I can spot you the other 50c if you're struggling, bro. :lol:
Well, I just figured half the bits, half the cents. Seems fair doesn't it?

realson

11 Feb 2020

There is a release date on March 12th :puf_smile:

Proboscis

12 Feb 2020

4 x better than 8-bit music.

adfielding

12 Feb 2020

I'm really curious about this. I'm not really in the market for new synths at the moment, but for 1 Euro I'll definitely be giving this a look. Getting it working in a 64-bit host might require a bit of finagling I guess, but I'm willing to give it a go.

faun2500

08 Mar 2020

Looking forward to trying this one
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

HeresJohnny312

08 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Feb 2020
Looks interesting. While i didnt really saw anything really revolutionary or heard any special character, i would considere to buy it for 1€.

While the dev shown the synths diagram to impress ppl, i just saw an imense bug potential 😂.

Well, as soon as its out and some more Info than the video is available, we will see.
Some people are so ungrateful for such a nice synth for only a buck, how cheap can people really be? Such Tremendous value for 1 dollar and people like you still find a way to complain. I have a feeling you have not even looked into how nice this sounds and how many features are actually quite nice. Anyway I wanted to say, I'd love to see you come up with something better, honestly if you were a dev or even a sound designer you would appreciate it a little more... :lol: we all know you can't. Complaining about 1$ I'd hate to see what your house or car looks like :D , j/k Anyway have a great day.

Loque

08 Mar 2020

HeresJohnny312 wrote:
08 Mar 2020
Loque wrote:
02 Feb 2020
Looks interesting. While i didnt really saw anything really revolutionary or heard any special character, i would considere to buy it for 1€.

While the dev shown the synths diagram to impress ppl, i just saw an imense bug potential 😂.

Well, as soon as its out and some more Info than the video is available, we will see.
Some people are so ungrateful for such a nice synth for only a buck, how cheap can people really be? Such Tremendous value for 1 dollar and people like you still find a way to complain. I have a feeling you have not even looked into how nice this sounds and how many features are actually quite nice. Anyway I wanted to say, I'd love to see you come up with something better, honestly if you were a dev or even a sound designer you would appreciate it a little more... :lol: we all know you can't. Complaining about 1$ I'd hate to see what your house or car looks like :D , j/k Anyway have a great day.
What is great for you, might not be great for others. Definition of great value is relative. I judged from what i heared and saw. I don't know that you could tried it at that time.

Interesting what "you all" know about me and how you move this discussion on a personal level. Have a great day too.
Reason12, Win10

HeresJohnny312

08 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
08 Mar 2020
HeresJohnny312 wrote:
08 Mar 2020

What is great for you, might not be great for others. Definition of great value is relative. I judged from what i heared and saw. I don't know that you could tried it at that time.

Interesting what "you all" know about me and how you move this discussion on a personal level. Have a great day too.
"You all" was nothing but a generalization (nothing personal, just formed by reading your comments) of the negative people who seem to contribute nothing however criticize the few who offer value to the music production community. Sorry if I hurt your feelings I simply was standing up for a seemingly great developer that was belittled with zero grounds and negative bias shielded behind opinion.
Smile its not even $1, its free!

tobypearce

13 Mar 2020

No Mac, 32bit only.
Weird when compared to the futuristic style of the marketing blurb....
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

adfielding

14 Mar 2020

I gave it a go, and in its current state it's sadly not a great experience in Reason.

There's an included jBridged 64-bit version, but it causes all kinds of crackles and pops in Reason despite being light on CPU use. People have supposedly had better results with wrapping the 32-bit version themselves. I wouldn't know - I'd experiment with it myself, but I'm not exactly enamoured with the sound of it. It takes quite a while to fire up an instance (I'm running it from an M.2 SSD here), and you have to run Reason (or whatever DAW you're using) with admin priveledges to use the 64-bit bridged version.

It's this weird combination of feeling bloated while still being light on the CPU. I really feel like it could have beneffited from a more narrow focus instead of what feels like adding features for features sake - I think this is best illustrated by the gamification stuff, which I find absolutely baffling in its inclusion. A lot of this stuff feels like the thought process was "oh, well I like X, I'll put that in!" without much consideration for how it'll all come together. I like Marmite but I've never felt a need to smear it all over my steak.

Still, all told - if it was more reliable I'd find it hard not to recommend for 1 Euro... but it's just not for me, and the audio instability is a total killer. An update to fix the 64-bit audio instability would go a long way to help here.

Loque

14 Mar 2020

No 64bit in 2020? I skip it. Not interested.
Reason12, Win10

adfielding

14 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
14 Mar 2020
No 64bit in 2020? I skip it. Not interested.
Honestly, it wouldn't have bugged me if the bundled jBridged version worked correctly. But it doesn't.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2020

600 mb download and you could download it only 500 times. :lol:

xylyx

14 Mar 2020

I was going to buy this and even got as far as the checkout page but then decided I didn't need another synth...I have more than enough of them that are underused already. So, I put the £1 I saved towards buying the discounted upgrade to Geist 2 instead (with two free expansions), as this offers me something I don't have fully covered in my plugin arsenal :puf_smile:

JRL1981

15 Mar 2020

I think it's an amazing synth, and much of the criticism really makes no sense. Sure, there are some bugs that needs to be fixed, but that happens to basically all pieces of software. The biggest issue I found was that the bridged 64-bit install didn't work very well in Reason, but Ummet Ozcan is working on improving it. The 32-bit install worked perfectly in Cakewalk, and I had no issues whatsoever there.

And people complaining about it being 32-bit only: I don't care how many bits there are as long as it makes great music! And Genesis Pro sure does. I think it was a well-spent €1.21, and I'm sure I'm going to be making a lot of great music using it.
Check out my music blog! https://lindbackmusic.wordpress.com/

FLVZ

16 Mar 2020

JRL1981 wrote:
15 Mar 2020
I think it's an amazing synth, and much of the criticism really makes no sense. Sure, there are some bugs that needs to be fixed, but that happens to basically all pieces of software. The biggest issue I found was that the bridged 64-bit install didn't work very well in Reason, but Ummet Ozcan is working on improving it. The 32-bit install worked perfectly in Cakewalk, and I had no issues whatsoever there.

And people complaining about it being 32-bit only: I don't care how many bits there are as long as it makes great music! And Genesis Pro sure does. I think it was a well-spent €1.21, and I'm sure I'm going to be making a lot of great music using it.
Yeah this bit snobbery isn't going to help anyone make better sounds, but Genesis will do more for you than not. The synth sounds great from the demos, rich in timbre and flexible. It might be the 32 bit synth out there, and if yall are still not interested after the 64bit patch is released then do what makes you happy...but can't knock what you've not tried

DonnieAlan

17 Mar 2020

A few years ago when Genesis came out, I was pretty impressed. I love the thick, fat, gritty sounds it produced and I found it fairly easy to program patches with. Then, we began to hear faint rumors that Ozcan was working on a "Pro" version. There was even an early vid that looked pretty cool and sounded decent. But a couple more years went by and we heard little. Fast forward to this year and suddenly the news was It was coming...and now its here. Best of all, it was only going to cost $1.30US or so. Not bad.

Then it was finally released. After waiting 6-7 years for it, like many I was pretty excited to finally get my hands on it.

Much as I hate to say it, I was so disappointed. Its not the format limitations -- 32bit, VST only, etc -- I could overlook all that if it sounded really stupendous. Only it doesn't. It sounds just okay to moderately good at best. I'm not saying it sounds crappy, that wouldn't be accurate or fair. Yeah, its easy to edit or design a patch from scratch and all that. But, I am just not impressed. To me it sounds like 100 other VI's already out there. I just don't hear or see anything all that special here, which makes the format limitations even more of a negative.

I like to design my own patches from default and normally I can get to something I like within a few minutes. Not with Gen-Pro. I just couldn't get to anything that sounded unique or intriguing or inspiring or different than dozens of other patches on other VI's I already have.

After all the hype and the very long wait, I was expecting more...way more. I'm not talking about features either. Its loaded with those. All to the good.
But I was anticipating something really special and instead got something fairly ordinary.

For those on a limited budget, or just starting out, this will be an excellent addition to one's "starter" gear. But for more serious sound design or music creation, not so much.

I know others will love it, and that's fine. There's no one "perfect" VI for sure. But, I for one am very disappointed.

tobypearce

28 Mar 2020

Hmm - an interesting review. I did wonder whether the marketing before the release was going to leave us disappointed with the end result.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

• Information