Keyboard connectivity problem

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Smiggy

07 Feb 2020

Hello

Just got a new PC (Windows 10) and I can't get it to talk to my keyboard.

It's a Novation Impulse 49 and it won't power up when connected. I've downloaded and installed what I think are the current drivers but no result at all.

Any suggestions welcomed.

pushedbutton

07 Feb 2020

Is there any indication from windows that the keyboard has been plugged in?
1)a) try a different USB port
b) try something else in that port.
2) try a different USB cable
3) try your keyboard on a different PC
If the keyboard isn't even lighting up when it's plugged in it's likely that it's not getting power. It shouldn't take much to get some sort of sign of life.
If it is lighting up but not talking to the PC it's possible that it's a driver issue but from what you're describing it sounds like a connection isn't being made.

Edit: when I got a new build one of the pins were bent on the usb interface on the front panel, so it wasn't working properly. Try one of the usb ports on the back and if you feel confident check for any miss-seated cables in your tower.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Smiggy

08 Feb 2020

Thanks, pushedbutton.

I've tried different cables and different ports to no avail and in despair I've got in touch with Novation. Still waiting a reply.

demt

09 Feb 2020

dam
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

decoder

04 Feb 2021

I too am experiencing Novation Impulse issues.
Once I upgraded to the latest version of Reason 11 suite (on windows 10) my Novation stopped communicating with the software.
The lights are on but nobody is home so to speak...
Deleted and reinstalled Automap 4.12 and booted the Impulse back to original factory settings.
I even switched usb cables and ports with no luck.
Beginning to wonder if my keyboard has gone to controller heaven, or if there is a bigger problem between Novation and Reason... :puf_unhappy:

Loque

05 Feb 2021

Is the keyboard listed in device manager?
What controller is set in Reason options? How is it configured?
Reason12, Win10

GlacierRays

06 Feb 2021

decoder wrote:
04 Feb 2021
I too am experiencing Novation Impulse issues.
Once I upgraded to the latest version of Reason 11 suite (on windows 10) my Novation stopped communicating with the software.
The lights are on but nobody is home so to speak...
Deleted and reinstalled Automap 4.12 and booted the Impulse back to original factory settings.
I even switched usb cables and ports with no luck.
Beginning to wonder if my keyboard has gone to controller heaven, or if there is a bigger problem between Novation and Reason... :puf_unhappy:
I am having the same problem but with a different USB MIDI keyboard controller, I'm using a Korg Triton Taktile 49 and since I updated to the latest version of Reason Suite 11 (Windows 10) a few days ago it just isn't communicating with the software at all, and it used to work perfectly. I've spent the last 2 days digging deep into driver settings etc and can't find anything that has helped (i've changed cables, switched USB ports, uninstalled and reinstalled countless drivers) - so now I've come here looking for solutions. I thought maybe the keyboard had broken, but when I connect it to my old Macbook Pro running Reason 7 it works just fine (even though I have to tell it it's a different Korg device because Reason 7 doesn't list the Taktile). In Reason 11 on my PC in the control surface section it just doesn't auto detect the surface at all, and if I try to add it manually it doesn't detect any of the in and out ports, so there's nothing to select.

Your comment makes me think maybe this is a new bug within Reason and/or Windows affecting a few of us, so hopefully this can get figured out and fixed soon.

[EDIT. After more testing I am even more convinced this is a new bug with Reason, specifically related to the *USB* MIDI connection, for the following reasons:
- If I connect my keyboard via MIDI cable to my audio interface, I am able to successfully add a control surface manually using "<Other> MIDI Control Keyboard" using the interface's MIDI input port, which detects the keys and all of the CC values. As a short-term workaround I can keep doing this, but I really want to use the USB connection so I can free up the MIDI on my interface.
- The device I'm using is the Korg Triton Taktile 49, which has an X-Y touchpad on it for controlling CC values. This touchpad can also be put into "Track Pad" mode to control the mouse on the computer it's connected to. And *this function still works*, so the USB connection is still working fine and communicating with the PC.
So I'm going to raise a technical support ticket with Reason as all signs point to this being an issue with their software, and I'll let you know if I hear back from them]

• Information