Let's build a DOOM Instrument in Reason!

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
supersplaron

07 Feb 2020

I watched this talk with Mick Gordon the other week and was super inspired to hear about how went about to create his sounds for the DOOM soundtrack.I figured that the Reason rack and especially the Combinator would be the perfect tool for building your own DOOM Machine.

Mick talks in detail about what types of pedals and effects he uses in his four different "arrays" and how everything is routed etc. I've started creating a Combinator patch which I'd be happy if you wanted to check it out, or just start building your own and we could collectively arrive at the ultimate Reason version of the DOOM MACHINE. :D I think it might also make more sense to have one Combinator per array and then sum them up in another rack mixer. Anywho.

Here's my first attempt. Do with it what you will.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8iintjoq7p8m ... 1.cmb?dl=0

So who's in? :D

BRIGGS

07 Feb 2020

Is only for reason 11.
r11s

Oquasec

07 Feb 2020

mick did work for this game in 2016
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

howtobecalm

07 Feb 2020

why use players that u have to pay for ? how can everyone join in ?

remo101

07 Feb 2020

I watched that GDC video all the way through - it's very inspiring.

Like a lot of people I too can't use the OP's combinator cuz I lack some of the RE's - but honestly people it doesn't matter: if you watch the first half of that video he explains how to make some truly awesome bass sounds, essentially by creating complex, semi-random feedback-networks of dynamic effects and then piping a very simple sub-bass through it....

....so if you watch a bit of the video you can get inspired to experiment for yourself even without being able to load the OP's combinator - cuz you can definitely achieve the same kind of results using only stock devices, even with old versions of Reason.

BRIGGS

07 Feb 2020

remo101 wrote:
07 Feb 2020
I watched that GDC video all the way through - it's very inspiring.

Like a lot of people I too can't use the OP's combinator cuz I lack some of the RE's - but honestly people it doesn't matter: if you watch the first half of that video he explains how to make some truly awesome bass sounds, essentially by creating complex, semi-random feedback-networks of dynamic effects and then piping a very simple sub-bass through it....

....so if you watch a bit of the video you can get inspired to experiment for yourself even without being able to load the OP's combinator - cuz you can definitely achieve the same kind of results using only stock devices, even with old versions of Reason.
:thumbs_up:
r11s

xboix

08 Feb 2020

It's interesting, but not a very usable sound!

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2020

howtobecalm wrote:
07 Feb 2020
It's the player that comes with Reason Suite. But I agree here, this player isn't even needed for something like this.

howtobecalm

08 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
08 Feb 2020
howtobecalm wrote:
07 Feb 2020
It's the player that comes with Reason Suite. But I agree here, this player isn't even needed for something like this.
i dont have suite

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2020

howtobecalm wrote:
08 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
08 Feb 2020

i dont have suite
Delete the missing player device and don't use it IMO

Loque

08 Feb 2020

supersplaron wrote:
07 Feb 2020
Lol Great stuff :cool: That really inspires me to go even farer and push sounds way byond their limits. And if everything sounds like sh!t in the end, sample it and put it into Grain.

Here is my try. I just used one audio path, because it was getting complicated, ran out of slots in the Combinator and not enough CV inputs on the back side and finally i thought, it sounds scary enough. And I always like to try a pluck version of my pads and sounds and it sounds really cool. So thanks again for that great video and ideas :thumbs_up:
Attachments
LoquesDoomDrone.zip
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

08 Feb 2020

supersplaron wrote:
07 Feb 2020
So who's in? :D

Really cool!

I took the idea and started from scratch instead. This really opened my eyes to the power of sweeper! Can never resist from using more than stock devices though :|
Last edited by aeox on 10 Feb 2020, edited 2 times in total.

SynthGang

09 Feb 2020

This video was a really great find! I fell asleep watching it last night (I woke up to it looping on my computer lol).. very inspiring and some of those original sounds he made were just DIRTY!!

joeyluck

09 Feb 2020

If you're looking for an instrument to complement your Doom-style song and sounds, check out UJAM's Carbon :)

supersplaron

10 Feb 2020

My combi patch was of course just a starting point and if you don't own some of the RE:s, just replace with anything else! My hope was to get our collective hive mind brewing with some ideas on how to achieve these sounds in Reason. :)

I'm going to check out your combis now! Exciting!

supersplaron

10 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
08 Feb 2020
supersplaron wrote:
07 Feb 2020
Lol Great stuff :cool: That really inspires me to go even farer and push sounds way byond their limits. And if everything sounds like sh!t in the end, sample it and put it into Grain.

Here is my try. I just used one audio path, because it was getting complicated, ran out of slots in the Combinator and not enough CV inputs on the back side and finally i thought, it sounds scary enough. And I always like to try a pluck version of my pads and sounds and it sounds really cool. So thanks again for that great video and ideas :thumbs_up:
Oooh. Currently enjoying this very much! Screechy and noisy - just as I like it!

decoder

29 Feb 2020

This is awesome!
I've already downloaded the patches, and I'm still on 10.4 and they work fine with some RE substitutions here and there.
These are refreshing because it makes me think in a different direction. Great video with Mick Gordon too.
Thanks, supersplaron and Loque!

chimp_spanner

07 Mar 2020

I watched most of this video today, finally. Super interesting. Change the process, change the outcome; is probably the single biggest takeaway for me. I keep trying the same old tired stuff and expecting different results, then getting despondent when no music happens. I've got unlimited possibilities here in the rack and this video definitely inspired me to experiment more. But also to examine what my actual process is, and why maybe...just maybe...it isn't working so well!

TheGodOfRainbows

07 Mar 2020

Loque wrote:
08 Feb 2020
That's a badass sound! Scary indeed. Pretty cool that all that's driving it is a sine wave. That video was a great watch. Thank's OP!

Loque

07 Mar 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
07 Mar 2020
Loque wrote:
08 Feb 2020
That's a badass sound! Scary indeed. Pretty cool that all that's driving it is a sine wave. That video was a great watch. Thank's OP!
Thanks! Glad you like it.
Reason12, Win10

Trefor

09 Mar 2020

Great video. What an inspirational guy Mick Gordon is. I thought I'd have a crack myself but just using stock Reason 10 devices and a couple of free RE's. This one is a bit rough and ready, but I'm going to try and improve on it by routing the various effects to the combinator properly.
Attachments
TW_Doom Snarl.cmb.zip
(4.43 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Loque

22 Mar 2020

Just wanted to try it with Complex-1. Quite some intersting results. Check out here:
viewtopic.php?p=492106#p492106
Reason12, Win10

• Information