Saturated Compressors?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
orthodox
RE Developer

09 Feb 2020

I am considering adding a saturation feature to a previously clean compressor, but having doubts if that is what people need. I'm not going to try to emulate any hardware, just add some ad-hoc mechanism and a couple of knobs (like 'Amount' and 'Drive').

What's your opinion on the subject? Are they really in demand? Would the saturation feature constitute a big advantage over a clean compressor?

retreed
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2020

People who bought a good amount of REs over the years will most likely have a good amount of stuff from that list:

Audio Damage RoughRider
Devoloop DYNARAGE Tube Compressor
Bassment The Lotus Compressor
DCAM ChanComp
DCAM BusComp
DlogB SPLEX Crossover Compressor
Forgotten Clank BuddyComp
kHs Compressor
Kuassa Efektor CP3603 Compressor
LAB:ONE RECORDINGS Mace Professional Compressor
Makeshift Design Extreme Dynamics
Red Rock Sound C1-Alpha Compressor
Red Rock Sound C1-L1 Vintage Compressor
Red Rock Sound C1-Sigma Compressor
Red Rock Sound Multiband Compressor
Reason Studios COMP-01 Compressor
Reason Studios Master Bus Compressor
Reason Studios MClass Compressor
McDSP Moo Tube Compressor
McDSP FRG-4RE Compressor
McDSP C670 Compressor
Softube FET Compressor
Softube Dyna-Mite
Softube Tube-Tech Channel
Synapse RE-160
Turn2on AngryComp Overdriven Compressor

While this list does not attempt to be complete, I think this gives a good overview for a start.
A good amount from that list is not clean already. It shows that the RE compressor market is very much saturated.
The question for a new/different product would be the question, what will make it stand out from the list above.

(and we did not take VSTs into account yet)

Loque

09 Feb 2020

I like it, when it can be disabled and it always depends on the saturation algorithm (pre, post, with additional EQ mixed in, only to the added signal, and so on...). If it does not offer something special or unique or simplifying a work, i dont need it.
Reason12, Win10

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
09 Feb 2020
I like it, when it can be disabled and it always depends on the saturation algorithm (pre, post, with additional EQ mixed in, only to the added signal, and so on...). If it does not offer something special or unique or simplifying a work, i dont need it.
You will be able to disable it. When the 'Amount' knob is set to zero, the compressor will maintain backwards compatibility. The saturation algorithm that I'm planning will not be the one that could be achieved by adding a pre or post saturator. It will depend on the gain amount the compressor is applying. I'm not planning to add any EQ elements.

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Feb 2020

retreed wrote:
09 Feb 2020
The question for a new/different product would be the question, what will make it stand out from the list above.
That's what I am asking. How important is the saturation feature, and will it be the one that helps a device stand out more than it does now? Since it is on the list already, it's too late to consider the overall compressor market saturation.

PinkSlime

09 Feb 2020

I think it is a useful option to have within the plugin

retreed
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
09 Feb 2020
retreed wrote:
09 Feb 2020
That's what I am asking. How important is the saturation feature, and will it be the one that helps a device stand out more than it does now? Since it is on the list already, it's too late to consider the overall compressor market saturation.
Being able to switch a saturation circuit on/off in the same device is handy, especially when it comes in combination with a gain compensation to reveal the true power of the saturation added.

orthodox
RE Developer

09 Feb 2020

retreed wrote:
09 Feb 2020
orthodox wrote:
09 Feb 2020

Being able to switch a saturation circuit on/off in the same device is handy, especially when it comes in combination with a gain compensation to reveal the true power of the saturation added.
Yeah, I'm thinking of the knob for gradual transition from uniform gain reduction mode of a clean compressor to the same gain reduction as a result of saturation.

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2020

Sounds like you're thinking beyond just "pre/post saturation" (like with most EQs etc), which is great because you can already easily add pre/post saturation with any saturation device. To make this feature truly useful would be to integrate it with the compression effect, such as adding the possibility to saturate the side chain signal, to saturate the feedback loop (assuming it's a feedback rather than feed forward compressor), and to blend saturation with a dry/wet control in addition to any dry/wet control for compression. Lots of possibilities here beyond simple pre/post saturation, can't wait to see what you come up with! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Stygian Abyss

09 Feb 2020

Orthodox, I own your device and find your ideas and Selig's additional suggestions very interesting. (And I like your avatar too, can it be found somewhere in higher resolution ? :puf_bigsmile: )

DJMaytag

10 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
09 Feb 2020
What's your opinion on the subject? Are they really in demand? Would the saturation feature constitute a big advantage over a clean compressor?
I generally look to VST’s for this sort of sound, but if you can make one, with plenty of CV control, that sounds amazing, I’d be interested.

Switchable pre-comp/post-comp saturation would be really nice. Any thoughts on soft-clipping? I just scored a Plugin Alliance Alpha Compressor specifically for using its really effective soft clipper. It’s CPU heavy though, so an efficient RE would be amazing.

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Feb 2020
I generally look to VST’s for this sort of sound, but if you can make one, with plenty of CV control, that sounds amazing, I’d be interested.

Switchable pre-comp/post-comp saturation would be really nice. Any thoughts on soft-clipping? I just scored a Plugin Alliance Alpha Compressor specifically for using its really effective soft clipper. It’s CPU heavy though, so an efficient RE would be amazing.
It's not going to be a pre/port saturation, rather an internal one. Soft-clipping is basically the same thing as saturation. You can find an effective soft clipper in the MClass Maximizer device if it sounds good to you. I'm not really going to compete with Elysia emulations, that's a sort of mastering oriented compressor, mine is a general purpose one for use in modular designs where you can add EQs, pre/post saturators, Dry/Wet controls on your own.
Stygian Abyss wrote:
09 Feb 2020
Orthodox, I own your device and find your ideas and Selig's additional suggestions very interesting. (And I like your avatar too, can it be found somewhere in higher resolution ? :puf_bigsmile: )
(Avatar, I stole it somewhere on the internet, it was in that resolution already)

This will be a free upgrade for existing users. What I'm after is new customers, that's why I wonder if the saturation feature could attract more people.

DJMaytag

10 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
10 Feb 2020
This will be a free upgrade for existing users. What I'm after is new customers, that's why I wonder if the saturation feature could attract more people.
If it sounds good, I could become a customer. I’m not often very active on here, but I am vocal in supporting what people are doing with RE’s to help keep this format alive and kicking. Just please be sure it’s got a good bit of CV I/O for external connections.

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Feb 2020

I'll add that. I'll need a week to meditate on the idea and another week to implement it.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

apoc123
RE Developer

22 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
09 Feb 2020
I am considering adding a saturation feature to a previously clean compressor, but having doubts if that is what people need. I'm not going to try to emulate any hardware, just add some ad-hoc mechanism and a couple of knobs (like 'Amount' and 'Drive').

I particularly love subtle saturation (I see a clear advantage and demand if you do it right) and the smooth 3rd order harmonics on compressors that seem to smooth out and analogify voice and certain drums. I think if you do add saturation, make it subtle yet pleasing to the ears! An example of subtle harmonics (I know you aren't going to do an emulation but...) I love the LA 610 mkII preamp, it has I believe 4 or 5 tubes for the preamp and compressor and it actually does wonders to voice with the vintage subtle tube saturation. Neve has wonderful solid state harmonics Ive heard from their equipment too but well analog is analog, I can talk about gear all day but the truth is were at an age where digital is very close if not tied at processing current music material, anyway that was my rant, I say go for it but not a destructive saturation more of a smoothing warming harmonic saturation!

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

What RE are you all talking about?

Copmpressor market is very saturated, but with nice saturation on compressor, it might indeed lead to more attention. So it is a good move. Good luck.

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Feb 2020

Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Copmpressor market is very saturated, but with nice saturation on compressor, it might indeed lead to more attention. So it is a good move. Good luck.
This one: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dynamics/

I'm going to update it next week. Changed the UI a bit as well.

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

orthodox wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Yonatan wrote:
22 Feb 2020

This one: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -dynamics/

I'm going to update it next week. Changed the UI a bit as well.
That looks very nice! Saturation on that looks tempting. What strikes me is that I have never ever seen it in the shop and I go in and look several times a week. I think RS Shop and webpage in general heavily needs like a "get notifications" buttons so that one can get notifications to email or other on what gets added, updates, upgrades, sales etc.

• Information