Ways of inserting (midi) notes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cinhcet

06 Feb 2020

Hi,

Does reason offer any note drawing/inserting methods except from recording or using the pencil tool?
For example, most music notation software have the option to enter notes by pressing keys on the keyboard for the inteded pitch and then a number on the computer keyboard for the corresponding note length. This way, one can enter notes in a precise and fast fashion.

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2020

navigate to the window drop down menu and select Show On Screen Keys. it does not have the note length input as you describe tho
- Certified Reason expert

cinhcet

08 Feb 2020

Thanks for your answer. I think you may have misunderstood me, since the word "keyboard" is a little bit overloaded.
I meant pressing and holding down keys on a piano/midi keyboard (the thing with black and white keys) to select the pitch and then the note length via the computer keyboard.
I never understood why the "natural" way one enters midi notes in a DAW is to record a life performance, only to quantize it later.

buddard
RE Developer

08 Feb 2020

Another option is to use a Rack Extension we developed called Sequences, it supports step time recording of up to 32 steps at a time.
You can't enter the note lengths numerically, but you can extend held notes by clicking on the Advance button.

When you're done recording you click on the "Send to track" button to write your pattern to the main sequencer (it will repeat itself between the L and R locators).

cinhcet

11 Feb 2020

This RE looks really interesting!
However, I think a sequencer of a DAW should have ways of programming notes apart from the pencil tool or recording...

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2020

cinhcet wrote:
06 Feb 2020
Hi,

Does reason offer any note drawing/inserting methods except from recording or using the pencil tool?
For example, most music notation software have the option to enter notes by pressing keys on the keyboard for the inteded pitch and then a number on the computer keyboard for the corresponding note length. This way, one can enter notes in a precise and fast fashion.
Which DAW has this option? So I can check it out to see what you mean

Jackjackdaw

11 Feb 2020

Back in the dark ages I used Cakewalk on a 100mhz Pentium PC and that had a notation editor built in. Maybe it still does?

cinhcet

11 Feb 2020

Music score editors have this, e.g. finale
goto 2:20 (maybe not the best video)

Cubase has something very close to this, it is called step input https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... put_t.html
which is also similar to the rack extension mentioned above.

• Information