deLux' X-Touch Remote Script

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Nocturn789

06 Feb 2020

Hello People

First of all:
  1. This is probably only interesting for Owners of a Behringer X-Touch
  2. Might contain non-native english speaker's langauge errors

For the last few days I have been working on a new Remote Script for Behringer's X-Touch DAW Controller.
I am doing this because the default Script (Mackie Control) is, at least for this Surface, far away from perfect and as I think not really intuitive.
There is this guy "Mixer Jäexx" who made an editted version of it to fix some things here and there, which is definitely better but it still has a lot of issues and doesn't fit my needs, so i made a fresh Script from Scratch that does everything I want.

Speaking of my needs
The most important thing is, while locked to the Main Mixer (Scope "Reason Master Section"), to be able to access the same Knobs and Buttons of all Mix Channels at the same time. For example, each Encoder controls "Rorary 1" of its related Mix Channel, or each Encoder controls "Input Gain" of its related Mix Channel (all depending on the current selected Group, i will discribe that in a Guide when i release it).

Within Reason, the Channel "Rec" Buttons of the Controller don't make much sense as Record Buttons, since Reason has a Record functionality per Sequencer Track, not per Mix Channel. So these Buttons are, like the Encoders, used as flying buttons for Group-dependent functionality. For example, HighPass Filter On/Off.

So per Channel, I have 2 flying Items (actually 4, but that is something for later explanation in the Guide) and because these do multiple things (again, group-dependent), the LCD Scribbles will display their current Values. So the Channel 1 LCD Row 1 will tell me what the Remote Item and Value of the Channel 1 Encoder is. The Channel 1 LCD Row 2 will tell me what the Remote Item and Value of Channel 1 Rec Button is and so on.

While the Surface's "Name/Value aka Display" button is hold down, the LCDs will show the Names of the Channels and their Number (left-most is 1, naturally). The names will also be shown for 2 seconds when changing the Remote Base Channel, so I don't get lost.

The actual reasons why I post this are:
  1. Maybe other people are as well not happy with the Default/Jäexx Script and might want to try this one.
  2. People that would like to use it can share their wishes or ideas. We can then discuss about them and I implement it.
    If you would like to share your wishes / ideas, you should know that:
    1. ATM I have only a Mapping for the Main Mixer.
      This means, I am really open to anything what is related to some other Reason Devices.
      But it does not definitely mean that there is no room for your Main Mixer wish / idea.
    2. There are some limitations, which are:
      1. My Fault: I have only the normal "X-Touch", none of the others like the "X-Touch Extender". So i can't test and debug a combo setup. This Script is only for the standalone "X-Touch". (If you are rich and too kind and send me one or two, then I would do that :p)
      2. RS/Behringer's Fault: The LCDs can not be colored.
      For this, Behringer would have to make a firmware update which adds Color SySex Support for the MC protocol.
      Also RS would need to add some Remotable Items for the Channel Color, but I could do a workaround by using a color code suffix in the Channel Name, which is ugly but yeah. Anyway without Color SySex Commands in the MC protocol, this will never work.

The first version should be ready in the next week.
So what do you guys think? Already some questions or stuff?

Cheers
Nocturn789 (aka Ben deLux on other places)
:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

DJMaytag

11 Feb 2020

Following this. I too have a standard X-Touch and am interested in adding an X-Touch Extender.

Can any other DAW light up the colors on the scribble strips, or is this just a Reason problem?

Nocturn789

12 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
11 Feb 2020
Can any other DAW light up the colors on the scribble strips, or is this just a Reason problem?
Hey DJ Maytag
The scribble strips can only be colored if the X-touch is set to XCTL mode which is AFAIK only supported by a few DAWs, but i can't tell you which exactly.
Most of the DAWs use the MC protocol. Later I will do some more research to find out if i might be able to rewrite my script so I could use XCTL as well.

Cheers,
Ben

turbopage
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2020

interesting

my personal wishlist:
- scribble strip color
- F5 F6 F7 assignable to function keys

thanks
Music Will Save Us

Nocturn789

13 Feb 2020

turbopage wrote:
12 Feb 2020
my personal wishlist:
- scribble strip color
- F5 F6 F7 assignable to function keys
hey turbopage

as described im my first post, the scribble strips can not be colored, since this is not part of the MC protocol, sadly. I had a look at behringer's forum where they were talking about an x-touch firmware 1.16 that adds this functionallity, but they keep silent since 2 years. I wrote them about any news on that but no response from their side. I lost hope on that but I will do some experiments on making an updated version of my script to use the XCTL protocol. If this works, we will get colored scribble strips.
(Also as mentioned before, if this could work, you would have to add a color code suffix to the channel name like "Clap r" (for red color) which is ugly but the only solution since there is no remotable item for the channel color)

Bad news for the F5 F6 F7 ... function keys as well, sorry. Those are not accessable by Remote. Currently I use the "F1", "F2" buttons of the X-touch as Subgroup selectors. FYI the "Encoder Assign" buttons will select the main group, like Input, Eq, Pan ... (on the main mixer basically the channel sections). The "F1" ... buttons will then select for example the HPF, LF, LMF ... subgroups, if the main group is "Eq".

A tip for you, if you go to the Options tab and hit "Remote Override Edit Mode" you will see an overlay with all remotable input items. outputs like volume meter leds will not be visible but it is at least a good overview for all things than can be made controlable.

Cheers

Nocturn789

15 Feb 2020

Okey small update.
I will need some more days to finish this because it seems like everyone wants to be able to color their channel strips.
So I switch to XCTL protocol and therefore I have to change some things a bit.

This means you have to get a USB <-> MIDI cable (like this one). XCTL does not work over the USB port.

Happy coding and cheers,
Ben

DJMaytag

15 Feb 2020

Nocturn789 wrote:
15 Feb 2020
This means you have to get a USB <-> MIDI cable (like this one). XCTL does not work over the USB port.
Would a regular MIDI interface work? I have an iConnecticity mio4.

Nocturn789

16 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
15 Feb 2020
Yes that will work too ;)

DJMaytag

16 Feb 2020

Nocturn789 wrote:
16 Feb 2020
DJMaytag wrote:
15 Feb 2020
Yes that will work too ;)
Cool. I generally hate using USB MIDI anyway.

Nocturn789

16 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
16 Feb 2020
Cool. I generally hate using USB MIDI anyway.
hehe ye then there you go ^^
I think i will get this done soon. colored scribbles are awesome af
Attachments
20200217_003240.jpg
20200217_003240.jpg (293.79 KiB) Viewed 11395 times

Nocturn789

20 Feb 2020

Okey another update:

It took me now about one more weeks because the Script makes now use of the XCTL Protocol.
That's why I had to refactor the whole thing since the Volume Bars, the Scribble Strips, the Encoder LEDs and the Timecode Display behave completely different, but mostly to the better. Except the Volume Bars had a cool feature on MC Protocol that let's the upper Clip Leds stay until you tell them to turn off. On XCTL all of those LEDs decay in the same way. Kinda sad but easier to handle. So meh.

Currently I do the last implementations for the Timecode Display. After that, the script is basically ready to use.
If anyone wants it then already, you can do the Mapping yourself, or you wait for me to do this. It shouldn't take me more than a day.

Anyway, with this script you will finally be able to color your scribble strips. Yeyyy

Cheers
Ben

turbopage
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2020

Thanks Nocturn!
I can't wait to see your work :thumbs_up:
Music Will Save Us

DJMaytag

20 Feb 2020

Dope! The clip LED thing is annoying AF, so that’s totally fine if that decays away as it should.

Nocturn789

03 Mar 2020

Heh, somehow on ReasonTalk I get this super meaningful error message "Error - Http error" when trying to upload a file ...

Anyway here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv858f152uzh9 ... 0.rar?dl=0

Remember, this is the first version.
See this as some kind of "Beta Phase" now. Whenever you notice a bug or you are not sure about something, tell me here.
But first, happy mixing ;)

Cheers
Ben

Nocturn789

03 Mar 2020

OOpppss I just remember I totally forgot to mention how to color your scribble strips in the guide.

I am too tired to add this now properly but for now:
Add one of the following suffixes to your channel names for the corresponding color:
r - red
g - green
y - yellow
b - blue
p - pink
c - cyan

Eg: "Kick y"

Since the X-Touch only has 7 colors (including white), i recommend only coloring Bus channels and keeping the rest white

DJMaytag

04 Mar 2020

EDIT: never mind.

LorDystopia

05 Mar 2020

This is great. I use an X-touch One w/ an extender. I will see how this does on those and let you know.

Nocturn789

10 Mar 2020

LorDystopia wrote:
05 Mar 2020
This is great. I use an X-touch One w/ an extender. I will see how this does on those and let you know.
Sorry to tell you but this will probably not work :/
This script if for the 'normal' X-Touch, as it is written specifically for it's SySex commands and since it is the only model I have, i can not add support for other models.

atwoodmk

07 Apr 2020

Nocturn789, This is great work and I am hoping you might be able to help. I have been struggling with the ‘Keep Alive’ message and getting rid of the ‘No Link’ message on my X-Touch.
Currently, I have my x-touch connected via an ethernet crossover cable to my Mac. I can ping the x-touch so I know the crossover cable is working. Using both Max/MSP and Wireshark I can confirm that I am receiving the x-touch request { 240, 0, 32, 50, 88, 84, 0, 247 } per line 260 of your code, on port 10111, about every 2 seconds.
I am sending back { 240, 0, 0, 102, 20, 0, 247 } on the same port but am having no success. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-up: Please disregard. I have figured out what I was doing wrong. I misunderstood that even while in Xctl mode, the sysex strings have to be sent to the physical midi port.

Nocturn789

14 Apr 2020

atwoodmk wrote:
07 Apr 2020
Follow-up: Please disregard. I have figured out what I was doing wrong. I misunderstood that even while in Xctl mode, the sysex strings have to be sent to the physical midi port.
Sorry for this late response but I didn't really have time to work on my script or check whats going on on reasontalk. But yes that's the sad thing, the physical port seems to the the only option to make use of the Xctl mode :/
But hey at least you found a way :)

Jyrx

15 Apr 2020

Would really like to have the "Global view" button stay on to see the ch names.
Otherwise awesome job!

fullforce

15 Apr 2020

Does this work on a compact?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

DJMaytag

15 Apr 2020

fullforce wrote:
15 Apr 2020
No, as Nocturn only has a standard X-Touch to test this with.

fullforce

16 Apr 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
15 Apr 2020
fullforce wrote:
15 Apr 2020
No, as Nocturn only has a standard X-Touch to test this with.
That he can't test it doesn't mean it doesn't work. Duh.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information