Midi mapping Player patterns

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stega

30 Jan 2020

Hi,

I have been trying to remote map the patterns in Drum Sequencer to buttons on my midi controller, with the aim of being able to swap between patterns live. But it looks like you can only map a single control to all the patterns, and that control will just cycle through them. Is this the only way it works, or am I missing something?

The only work-around I could think of was to put it in a Combi, and map the Combi buttons to individual patterns. But then you are limited to 4 buttons / patterns.

Does anyone have any suggestions for work-arounds? Or maybe it's possible to add more buttons to a Combi somehow?

Ta!

Tweak

30 Jan 2020

This is a seriously broken implementation, and one which is cloned through all the player devices that work with patterns. I can only hope that a universal solution is in the works because in my opinion this is poor.

Jackjackdaw

30 Jan 2020

+100 This drives me bonkers.

stega

31 Jan 2020

Thanks for the replies. That is a shame, and does seem like a bit of a cock up - to provide patterns, then to only allow changing them in the sequencer or with the mouse just seems a bit daft to me. Hopefully they will get it sorted at some stage.

I have been considering moving over to Reason for performing live. My Elektron keyboards (Digitone/Analog Keys) have been brilliant for live work, but the players offer something special for the way I perform, especially when teamed up with some of my rack extensions/vsts. Still, theres a lot to be said for dedicated hardware.

I guess another alternative could be to use the rack plugin in Ableton and have different clips playing the different patterns. Will have to have a play around.

Jackjackdaw

31 Jan 2020

The best I have come up with is mapping the pattern select to a knob, at least you can scroll through forwards and backwards. But it's still crap. I put all my patterns on to a Beatstep Pro for performance stuff. I managed to replicate probability and stuff with Delta. It is a really cool setup. But a massive workaround for would should be so simple!

Jackjackdaw

05 Feb 2020

Just wondering , Does Kompulsion allow midi mapping of the pattern select?

chimp_spanner

05 Feb 2020

Only in as much as you can map a control to the entire pattern selection, so if it's a knob it just kinda scans/cycles through the patterns. I would guess because the pattern track needs to see it as one value between 1-8, there's no way to address each of those buttons individually. Maybe. I might be talking out my butt!

Jackjackdaw

05 Feb 2020

Same thing as Drum Seq then, must be a Player thing.

Nocturn789

05 Feb 2020

stega wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Hi,

I have been trying to remote map the patterns in Drum Sequencer to buttons on my midi controller, with the aim of being able to swap between patterns live. But it looks like you can only map a single control to all the patterns, and that control will just cycle through them. Is this the only way it works, or am I missing something?

The only work-around I could think of was to put it in a Combi, and map the Combi buttons to individual patterns. But then you are limited to 4 buttons / patterns.

Does anyone have any suggestions for work-arounds? Or maybe it's possible to add more buttons to a Combi somehow?

Ta!
That's exactly what I want since years.
Somewhen when I get into RE development this will be the first thing I do.

Anyway my current workaround is to link a CV Control Board to multiple Pattern Sequencers. With this, you can swap between multiple (parallel) patterns live, but since your midi device will be locked to the control board, it can't be used anymore to manipulate the patterns itself. Sad, but it's something
:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2020

I would use Aftermath Audio’s CV8X4 and Robotic Bean’s CV Select Switch. Both are free.
  • Put your Drum Sequencer inside a Combinator.
  • Route the CV output of the CV Select Switch to a Combinator CV input, set that input to unipolar, and use that input to control the Drum Sequencer Pattern select.
  • Connect a cable from each output of the CV8X4 to the CV inputs on the CV Select Switch.
  • Use the 8 knobs on the CV8X4 to set values that change the Drum Sequencer pattern when that channel is selected from the front panel of the CV Select Switch.
  • Switch the quantization off.
Now you can use your MIDI keyboard (white keys C3-C4) to change the current pattern by enabling "Receive Notes" in the Combinator, or you can set Remote Overrides for each button on the CV Select Switch!

EDIT: I just discovered that the buttons on the CV Select Switch do not receive their own Remote Override address, so it isn't possible to remote control each button. The MIDI key method seems to be best option here.

artotaku

05 Feb 2020

Timmy Crowne wrote:
05 Feb 2020
I would use Aftermath Audio’s CV8X4 and Robotic Bean’s CV Select Switch. Both are free.
  • Put your Drum Sequencer inside a Combinator.
  • Route the CV output of the CV Select Switch to a Combinator CV input, set that input to unipolar, and use that input to control the Drum Sequencer Pattern select.
  • Connect a cable from each output of the CV8X4 to the CV inputs on the CV Select Switch.
  • Use the 8 knobs on the CV8X4 to set values that change the Drum Sequencer pattern when that channel is selected from the front panel of the CV Select Switch.
  • Switch the quantization off.
Now you can use your MIDI keyboard (white keys C3-C4) to change the current pattern by enabling "Receive Notes" in the Combinator, or you can set Remote Overrides for each button on the CV Select Switch!

EDIT: I just discovered that the buttons on the CV Select Switch do not receive their own Remote Override address, so it isn't possible to remote control each button. The MIDI key method seems to be best option here.
Another similiar workaround solution is to use Volt SL1 CV Selector.
Advantage: only one device needed, syncable, remotable items for each knob spanned across multiple sets, CV out for the selected set to control the selected player pattern.
Disadvantage: costs money but the device is worth it since you can use it for other cool stuff as well.

lowtom

05 Feb 2020

Actually You can skip steps below if you will connect CV Select Switch using CV Select (0-1 V) Out. It already have values set correctly to cycle through 8 patterns.
Timmy Crowne wrote:
05 Feb 2020
[*]Connect a cable from each output of the CV8X4 to the CV inputs on the CV Select Switch.
[*]Use the 8 knobs on the CV8X4 to set values that change the Drum Sequencer pattern when that channel is selected from the front panel of the CV Select Switch.
Shame it does not let you map buttons directly. I use it with a rotary encoder on my Allen & Heath Xone K1.

Other workaround is to use Matrix and route CV Curve output with correct values set for patterns.
With Matrix you can map Pattern selector to buttons.
Check the attached Combinators and let me know if you have any questions.
Attachments
_Matrix Select Example.cmb.zip
(3.74 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
_CV Select Example.cmb.zip
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
:reason: :refill: :re:

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2020

artotaku wrote:
05 Feb 2020
Another similiar workaround solution is to use Volt SL1 CV Selector.
That is a beautiful device! Might have to grab that one.
lowtom wrote:
05 Feb 2020
Other workaround is to use Matrix and route CV Curve output with correct values set for patterns.
With Matrix you can map Pattern selector to buttons.
This is a genius solution. Much more elegant than mine. And great point about the CV Select Switch having preset values for pattern switching. Threads like these are what I like most about this forum.

electrofux

05 Feb 2020

-take a cv-gateway https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... v-gateway/
-connect 8 knobs to the cv-in 1s and 8 buttons to the gate ins
-Connect the cv-gateways out to the combinator cv-in controlling the pattern of the pattern device.
-adjust the values of the 8 knobs to affect the 8 patterns
-Remote Map the 8 buttons.

P.S. just read the Matrix solution. Thats the best one.

stega

05 Feb 2020

Some really interesting work-arounds here - thanks guys!
Will give the matrix one a go tomorrow, sounds like that could work well.

• Information