What is the ONE feature you'd like to have in the future version of Reason ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

30 Jan 2020

guitfnky wrote:
30 Jan 2020
groggy1 wrote:
30 Jan 2020

+1

This is probably the top item that slows down my workflow: If I update one clip today (after making 20 copies), it's really hard to remember 5 minutes later which clip had the changes and which didn't. Or if I come back the next day, how do I even tell which of the 20 copies I had edited?
one thing I’ve had to rely on to keep track of my MIDI clips is clip coloring and clip labeling. if I need to edit something, I’ll color it red, and change it back to the track color after I’ve made my edits. depending on your workflow, maybe something like that could help. clip linking wouldn’t help me personally all that much (since I use Blocks pretty heavily), but it definitely belongs in Reason.
That's not quite the same thing though. I want not to have to repaste everything if I decide to change a note, colour or label if there is 20 + copies in my track.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

guitfnky

30 Jan 2020

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jan 2020
guitfnky wrote:
30 Jan 2020

one thing I’ve had to rely on to keep track of my MIDI clips is clip coloring and clip labeling. if I need to edit something, I’ll color it red, and change it back to the track color after I’ve made my edits. depending on your workflow, maybe something like that could help. clip linking wouldn’t help me personally all that much (since I use Blocks pretty heavily), but it definitely belongs in Reason.
That's not quite the same thing though. I want not to have to repaste everything if I decide to change a note, colour or label if there is 20 + copies in my track.
yep, I know what clip linking is. the question the user posted that I was referencing was:
if I come back the next day, how do I even tell which of the 20 copies I had edited?
obviously, in the long-run, clip linking would be the best way to solve the problem, but what do you do about it in the meantime? that's what I was answering.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

30 Jan 2020

groggy1 wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Creativemind wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Cloned / Linked / Mimic'd Clips.
+1

This is probably the top item that slows down my workflow: If I update one clip today (after making 20 copies), it's really hard to remember 5 minutes later which clip had the changes and which didn't. Or if I come back the next day, how do I even tell which of the 20 copies I had edited?
Yes. I'm with you. After using it in FL Studio 3 yrs ago, I thought going back to unique copying / pasting felt primitive. Bit like having a remote control for your tele then having to go back to getting up everytime to change channels lol!

As for your dilemma though, why do you (once editing a clip) not then cut and repaste all the now new clips into the places the old ones are?

It's that though (and it's a right pain in the ass) that makes me want this feature, you have to remember where all the places are for the clips. If it's a 3 minute song and you decide to change some midi info, it takes ages and what a time / effort saver this feature would be. Change it, all of them done.

Creativemind

30 Jan 2020

guitfnky wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Creativemind wrote:
30 Jan 2020

yep, I know what clip linking is. the question the user posted that I was referencing was:
if I come back the next day, how do I even tell which of the 20 copies I had edited?
obviously, in the long-run, clip linking would be the best way to solve the problem, but what do you do about it in the meantime? that's what I was answering.
Oh yeah sorry, colouring or labelling is the answer for now. I misread what you were responding to and to them as well lol!

Busta US

30 Jan 2020

Creativemind wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Care to explain further what you mean by that ? Excuse my ignorance, I'm sure I'll find it useful just curious of what it means exactly :oops:
Last edited by Busta US on 30 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Jackjackdaw

30 Jan 2020

I've changed my mind. Midi assignable pattern change on Drum Sequencer player would be the one thing. So simple!

SynthGang

30 Jan 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 Jan 2020
SynthGang wrote:
26 Jan 2020
+1 to track folders! I would also love to see a more fully-featured sequencer. I'll come out and say it too: I want a lot of the functionality that the FL Studio sequencer has.. like the ability to sequence automation at the note level without having to automate a knob somewhere, etc.
Recently got a license for FL Studio and cannot for the life of me figure it out. Tbh players fill in most of the gaps in the sequencer now. Not that it wouldn’t be nice to have it built in but the sheer amount of menus and lists in FL gives me anxiety haha.
Yeah actually me and my friends recently downloaded the FL Studio demo and, despite having once been quite familiar with FL, we were completely lost :lol: :lol: :lol: we were going to try and start a track in FL just for the fun of trying something new - that lasted all of five minutes when we realized we didn't know a single keyboard shortcut lol..

Hey quick question too by the way: are you THE Chimp Spanner? If so that is extremely cool!! I came across your/Chimp Spanner's music on the now-defunct 8Tracks app years ago in some Djent mix - stuff was awesome dude!!! I literally have listened to some of your songs for years now!!

As for the players I just don't find myself using them all that much although they are great, it's just it's more a matter of the little workflow things that are a nuisance to me in Reason. For me I didn't know what I was missing out on until I actually saw that there are better ways to do even the simplest things! To give you an idea of just the sort of thing I mean: when for instance back in version 7 or 8 (I'm still on 9) Reason introduced the ability to extend notes from the left :lol: THOSE types of things drive me crazy lol

Creativemind

30 Jan 2020

Busta US wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Creativemind wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Care to explain further what you mean by that ? Excuse my ignorance, I'm sure I'll find it useful just curious of what it means exactly :oops:
Yeah in FL Studio they're called Cloned (I think), in Cakewalk they're called Linked and in Logic (according to the following video they're called Mimic'd Clips). The video explains all. In fact in Logic it's called Follow Track or is it Alias or Aliasing Clips?

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2020

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Busta US wrote:
30 Jan 2020

Yeah in FL Studio they're called Cloned (I think), in Cakewalk they're called Linked and in Logic (according to the following video they're called Mimic'd Clips). The video explains all. In fact in Logic it's called Follow Track or is it Alias or Aliasing Clips?

It's officially called an "alias" and Logic is so awesome yay.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Busta US

31 Jan 2020

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Busta US wrote:
30 Jan 2020

I was wondering how to do that in Reason !!!!! YES!! THIS!! SO MUCH!! Can't believe this can't be done yet!!

+1 !!

Proboscis

31 Jan 2020

So does Logic & Cakewalk allow that cloning to happen horizontally, as in the same track ? That's how I interpreted the original suggestion.

The suggestion itself as a feature request is brilliant, and something that would be a major and most powerful addition to Reason. Many of my tracks will be structured with four clips in a verse, with the first & third identical, and the second & fourth with slight variations. That section is then repeated many times, and its a total pain in the ass to change a single note across many instances. Maybe I will revisit blocks, because that will help a bit, but I really don;t love how that feature has been implemented overall.

I've always begrudgingly accepted what I perceive to be slow feature rollouts, and been resigned to stay with Reason forever. But the more I read and find out about standard features of other DAWs, I've lately started to wonder if my position may change. I'm beginning to mentally prepare myself for a DAW change when Reason 12 comes out (for now Im sticking with R10). If all the instruments and FX I love about Reason, and the back-of-rack wiring, is now able to be migrated over to another DAW, and what I have to gain is better sequencer workflow, then I'm struggling to find justifications in being Reason-exclusive.

So in 2021 I may well pay a final $129 'exit tax' and say goodbye. Apart from the Combinator, of which has never received critical design revisions, what does Reason offer that other DAWs don't, now that the Rack is a VST (and therefore a kind of combinator in its own right, with each instance in another DAW) ?

Proboscis

31 Jan 2020

On this talk of managing clips - being able to group clips together is something that's very powerful in video editing software I've used. Basically selecting a bunch of clips, assigning them to a group, then any time you move a section, all clips across various section move together. It would be far superior to having to highlight everything, and drag it, when you often miss parts of clips, or inadvertently deselect and have to do it over again. A major frustration with Reason's sequencer that feel like it could be easily solved by adopting the workflow of other software.

Just checking Reaper, this also has the function I'm referring to. Maybe this is another case of 'every other DAW has this feature, but not Reason' - can readers confirm if your other DAWs have this function ?

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2020

I’d be happy if duplicating devices didn’t add “COPY” every time. :lol:

But seriously, a revamped Combinator is long overdue. I think Reason’s biggest strength is the CV system and more should be done to embrace that side of things. A new Combinator with user-definable macro types and an expanded mod matrix would be a huge step in the right direction.

Somewhat related, I also think CV cables should each have their own internal “mapping” as well. Probability, inverting, splitting/merging, quantization, bit resolution, rectification, unipolar/bipolar, min/max range and other logic rules should be embedded in the cable, or at least at the jack point.

Someone may object that all this is too nerdy for the average user and so wouldn’t be profitable. But I don’t think that’s true, because the nerds will create stuff that is only available in Reason that will attract the average user.

And if it was possible to hide the internals of new Combinator patches upon saving, it would become a kind of visual SDK for those who aren’t as familiar with coding. I think Audiomatic was more or less made this way. Then users could sell them as rack extensions or refills which would give everyone an incentive to compete.

zoidkirb

03 Feb 2020

Mucrafta wrote:
03 Feb 2020
Steprecording!!!
They already implemented that, just pop over to the Reason shop and drop $69.99 on their Polystep Sequencer.

dstreets

03 Feb 2020

One darker skin option for the SSL mixer. The thing is so bright that a darker option would really help for those late nights.

Improved metering (ie Cubase) would be welcomed.

Assignable markers for various song points.

Re8et
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2020

Clips: Midi Note, Midi CC and Audio. Perhaps Player Clips.
New Sequencer Clip section.

Upgrade blocks, the fabric is there... skip at 4:54, you'll see the upper layer works as blocks, a split view opens up the entire block scene on the right, but then all individual clips are interchangeable between the two sides. :geek:
Last edited by Re8et on 04 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

04 Feb 2020

dstreets wrote:
03 Feb 2020
One darker skin option for the SSL mixer. The thing is so bright that a darker option would really help for those late nights.

+ 1 for this along with my aliased / linked clips. Midi Chase, Undo History, time markers, tempo detect of audio and sync'd browsers and windows on the fly are all up there for me. Track Folders, grouping tracks and merge / consolidate clips in the Bounce In Place. Those would be my top 10 and would seriously enhance / speed up Reasons workflow.

Busta US

04 Feb 2020

Creativemind wrote:
04 Feb 2020
dstreets wrote:
03 Feb 2020

+ 1 for this along with my aliased / linked clips. Midi Chase, Undo History, time markers, tempo detect of audio and sync'd browsers and windows on the fly are all up there for me. Track Folders, grouping tracks and merge / consolidate clips in the Bounce In Place. Those would be my top 10 and would seriously enhance / speed up Reasons workflow.
+1 for literally everything Creativemind has mentioned...plus improving adding and removing notes in the sequencer (in one click instead of a double click) like I have posted countless times...pleeeeeeeeeeease

ltbrunt00

04 Feb 2020

The ability to score to video directly within reason.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

chimp_spanner

04 Feb 2020

Hey, imagine if the video player...was a device. That loaded FFGL plugins. And they could be controlled by CV. And Reason could export the video.

AHHHHH.

Creativemind

04 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
04 Feb 2020
Creativemind wrote:
04 Feb 2020

+1 for literally everything Creativemind has mentioned...plus improving adding and removing notes in the sequencer (in one click instead of a double click) like I have posted countless times...pleeeeeeeeeeease
Yeah left click adds and right click deletes on notes and clips would be awesome.

kitekrazy

05 Feb 2020

I want to audition patches in the browser. Didn't they have that before.
Audition midi clips in the browser.
Safely store DATA on a separate drive.
Improvements to NN-XT - which is almost pointless since there are better options via VST.

thedjjudah

05 Feb 2020

Proper automatable pitch shifting in the sequencer.

They've also got to step up the Combinator too. It was a really unique feature of Reason when it first came out, but now Bitwig and Live both have macros (and there are more DAWs, I'm sure, that I don't know of).

Proboscis

05 Feb 2020

kitekrazy wrote:
05 Feb 2020
I want to audition patches in the browser. Didn't they have that before.
That browser revamp was two steps backwards, in my opinion. Even scrolling synth patches is a pain in the ass that I've never gotten used to. I despite the whole 'change for the sake of change', rather than 'for the sake of improvement' mentality that permeates the minds of some folks (i've have had to deal with this sort of shit in the workplace over the years, and usually tell said persons to stick their job where the sun don't shine. And why isn't the alt+click function carried over to the browser ? It's rather annoying to have to fold everything up after some patch surfing. Why are we stuck with that 'Showcase' shortcut ? Or the 'Song Samples' I don't give two hoots about what they decide what customers will use. Give us the real estate back !

While on the topic of dumb backwards steps in the name of 'improvement', why is the TAP on the transport so small ? Who on earth came up with the grand idea to make it a fraction of it's former size ? Is there a mission statement that says 'no more backwards compatibility, just backwards development' ? And as far as I know, despite having better theme colours (with a weird gray and a weird BLUE) for extended session, R11 still thrusts a WHITE console into our eyes. Switching between modules is like Clockwork Orange therapy.

OK, that's all for now, my soapbox is creaking under the strain. :lol:

• Information