Editing Other people's music?...

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
plaamook

03 Feb 2020

Anyone here ever make edits or mixes of other people's music?

Example...You really like a song by whoever but you hate the mix or some stupid sound or passage in the midle of it, so you just make your own edit or mix or EQ what-have-you.

I figured this was an obvious thing to do with youre computer given our chosen profession/past time but having had some friends chuckle when I mention this, I figured I'd put it to the Reason forum to see just how off piste I actually am!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

BRIGGS

03 Feb 2020

No. I have enough work to do with my own music. :puf_smile:
r11s

Steedus
Competition Winner

03 Feb 2020

Believe or not I did this a few times back in the day on a portable Minidisc player. I was fascinated that it was kind of like a mix between a cassette tape (could record in real-time and was housed in a cartridge type case) and a CD (was disc based and could have tracks), and would record songs onto MD, and create "tracks" for various sections of the song, and could then move them around in the song. The Minidisc format was heaps of fun.

I don't think I've ever done this beyond that though, apart from to trying (and failing) to clean up an old Colombian album I found (just EQ, compressing etc).

plaamook

03 Feb 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Feb 2020
Woman: “I have 14 children, Groucho”.

Groucho: “You have 14 children? Why do you have so many kids?”

Woman: “Because I love my husband”.

Groucho: “I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while.”

Or here.

plaamook

03 Feb 2020

Well, when I'm not working on my next gesamtkunstwerk...

Especially now with things like RX and so on, shit man... I've gone and cleaned up old recordings of classical indian ragas, jacked obscure rips from youtube, deleted irritating sections of FSOL epics, you name it.

My most recent gag was giving The Orb's Democracy (Russian Tundra Mix)...the 19min version that's on the second iteration of Aunt Aubrey's Vol.2...a face lift cause it's a great track but the mix is so weak. So I went and sicked Trash2 on it's ass. Carved out a whole new dimension. Totally satisfied with myself over that one.

The problem is I'd kinda like to do this to EVERYTHNIG! Now that I've started thinking about it...there's all those shitty mixes from the 60's (he say's, ducking the odd cabbage aimed at his head) or the lack of compression in classical recordings...I have no shame man.
I even denoised Pärt's Für Alina to get rid of the friggin lorry in the recording!

But here's the catch...I can't really use things like spotify because I've got this growing library of things I've... corrected (he says with a wink, in his seedy caretaker voice)

Or here.

BRIGGS

03 Feb 2020

plaamook wrote:
03 Feb 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Feb 2020
Woman: “I have 14 children, Groucho”.

Groucho: “You have 14 children? Why do you have so many kids?”

Woman: “Because I love my husband”.

Groucho: “I love my cigar too, but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while.”
:sick: nobody wants to turn green?
r11s

DrGOA®

04 Feb 2020

Anyone here ever make edits or mixes of other people's music?
Yes, all the time (after I finished my own tracks)!

jutty P

19 Feb 2020

Absolutely! As a DJ this is a great thing to get into. I do edits on a lot of tracks by other artists to make them more mixable. Sometimes even full blown remixes. I find it good to for times where I am having writers block. It can open up creative ideas for your own tunes as well.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Feb 2020

jutty P wrote:
19 Feb 2020
Absolutely! As a DJ this is a great thing to get into. I do edits on a lot of tracks by other artists to make them more mixable. Sometimes even full blown remixes. I find it good to for times where I am having writers block. It can open up creative ideas for your own tunes as well.
Yeah, it is common practice to do your own edits to play out as a DJ.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Feb 2020

Steedus wrote:
03 Feb 2020
Believe or not I did this a few times back in the day on a portable Minidisc player. I was fascinated that it was kind of like a mix between a cassette tape (could record in real-time and was housed in a cartridge type case) and a CD (was disc based and could have tracks), and would record songs onto MD, and create "tracks" for various sections of the song, and could then move them around in the song. The Minidisc format was heaps of fun.

I don't think I've ever done this beyond that though, apart from to trying (and failing) to clean up an old Colombian album I found (just EQ, compressing etc).
Wanna send it over? What is wrong with it? (The Columbian album)

• Information