Resonans 1.1 is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

reddust

15 Jul 2019

Cool, too bad I'm already buying it as a rent-to-own and it comes a little bit late for me but really recommendable synth

ab459

02 Feb 2020

Folks do anyone can reproduce audible work of Random (position randomness) knob ?
Just it seems i can't reproduce difference in sound even at maximum value (or it has a very very subtle impact, i'm not sure).
Some tip maybe ? Any way to increase affect of this knob ?
I mean, if i adjusting the Position knob (in any of three models) i can hear quite significant changes even thru small position steps, so, do not should maximum Random knob value cover full range of Position? (And I assume it should occurs with every Note On event ?)

Loque

02 Feb 2020

ab459 wrote:
02 Feb 2020
Folks do anyone can reproduce audible work of Random (position randomness) knob ?
Just it seems i can't reproduce difference in sound even at maximum value (or it has a very very subtle impact, i'm not sure).
I mean, if i adjusting the Position knob (in any of three models) i can hear quite significant changes even thru small position steps, so, do not should maximum Random knob value cover full range of Position? (And I assume it should occurs with every Note On event ?)
Looks like a bug. I tried different other settings and routings like Modmatrix+Random and CV INput and routed to Position and nothing changed. It seems, no modulation is comming through. You should report this bug.
Reason12, Win10

ab459

02 Feb 2020

@Loque Thanks for checking.
(About bugreport - i use just trial version now, and not decided about purchase yet, maybe someone who has license could do.)

Noiserunner

02 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Feb 2020
ab459 wrote:
02 Feb 2020
Looks like a bug. I tried different other settings and routings like Modmatrix+Random and CV INput and routed to Position and nothing changed. It seems, no modulation is comming through. You should report this bug.
When I turn the Random knob with the mouse, I can here the (sometimes subtle) difference.
The manual says:
Below the Position knob there’s a knob marked Random that determines the randomness of the position (offset from the knob setting) for each new note, from 0 to 100%. You can use this to make every note sound a little different, giving a slightly more organic quality to your patches.

Even with Random at 0% the individual notes sounds a little bit different (bouncing the same track a few times shows different waveforms).
With Random at a higher level, the differences for me are noticeable more.

Configuration for the test:
- reset Resonans
- a few long and short notes at the same pitch from a sequencer
- Random at 100%
- listening to a few bars, especially for the longer notes (1/4) the sound is different
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

ab459

02 Feb 2020

@Noiserunner
Anyway such subtle impact it seems abnormal.
Would be good to get some comment from author about this moment, to be sure that it's really works properly.

What's the point of making a handle with a full turn if its effect is barely distinguishable at 100%?

ab459

02 Feb 2020

Although I admit this is rarely but seen in other synths, I have never understood such an ideology.
Do not more logically to implement some two-position switch then ?
But still hope that this is bug.

Noiserunner

02 Feb 2020

ab459 wrote:
02 Feb 2020
Would be good to get some comment from author about this moment, to be sure that it's really works properly.
Using the words "little different" and "slightly more" in one sentence in the manual seems to me, that the actual behavior is in the intention of the developer.
I also own the Mutable Instrument Rings Module for Eurorack, which is in some part the hardware version of Resonans. I have to try out again, but I think the behavior is similar, when a random CV is feed into Position.
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

buddard
RE Developer

02 Feb 2020

Position Randomness seems to be working as intended when I test it: When at 100%, it chooses a new Position value anywhere in its range for each new note.

It's definitely quite a subtle effect because the Position parameter itself is quite subtle for most models. Changes are more clearly audible when you modulate it during the duration of a note (PWM/chorus effect). The Randomness is more a way to make it sound less static and repetitive.

ab459

02 Feb 2020

@buddard Thanks for reply,
buddard wrote:
02 Feb 2020
because the Position parameter itself is quite subtle for most models.
Though.. i checked Position impact a bit better now, it seems yes, the reason of subtleness during Random in, so to speak, "point" position selection, while during adjusting Position manually (smoothly in wide range) here appears some very audible panorama\timbral movements.
But mainly these movements has repeating character (in first two models), so, taked random "points" almost not distinguishable because of this.

But separate case in FM model - his Position in maximal level has pronounced difference (from all other range), so, at this model i finally could sure that Random is works.

Anyway, need admit that Random knob came out as pretty useless feature here. (But in general Resonans quite impressed me.)

ADDED Special thanks for not greed heh (or full freedom) in the Damping knob algo, this moment is definitely an incentive to buy this thing.

ab459

21 May 2020

Just thinks out loud (or request maybe), related to audio in: would be good to add some adjustment for "masking" incoming signal. Well, i mean, in many cases, incoming signal is present a much along "physical" interesting result, or even covers it. Mainly it observed in first two (modal and inharmonic) algos, while in Freq Mod algo we actually hear only "transformed" result.
Maybe there is some way to got similar impact in first two algos?

buddard
RE Developer

14 Jun 2020

ab459 wrote:
21 May 2020
Just thinks out loud (or request maybe), related to audio in: would be good to add some adjustment for "masking" incoming signal. Well, i mean, in many cases, incoming signal is present a much along "physical" interesting result, or even covers it. Mainly it observed in first two (modal and inharmonic) algos, while in Freq Mod algo we actually hear only "transformed" result.
Sorry, hadn't seen this comment before.

There is no dry/wet blending in Resonans, what you hear coming out of the model is what it produces.
Both Inharmonic String and Modal Resonator works by transforming the incoming audio, whether it's the built-in noise source, a user sample, or the audio input.
Inharmonic String will run the audio through carefully tuned delay loops (Karplus-Strong synthesis) with some filters in the feedback loop.
Modal Resonator is an array of parallel bandpass filters whose filters are tuned in different configurations.
So depending on the settings and the characteristics of the incoming audio signal, the source will be more or less recognizable in the output.
The FM model is different from the other two, since it only uses the amplitude of the incoming audio, the sound itself is generated by an internal FM synthesizer.

buddard
RE Developer

14 Jun 2020

A couple of days ago we released Resonans 1.1.1, which addresses a problem that started showing up on Windows in Reason 11: The Sample Editor window would hang and create a lot of copies of itself when trying to interact with it.
We're pretty sure that this is due to a bug in Reason 11 (since it's working fine in Reason 9 and 10, and also in 11 on Mac), but since we don't know when/if this will be fixed by Reason Studios, we decided to implement a workaround in the meantime.

We also improved the accuracy and performance of the LFO display somewhat.

Loque

14 Jun 2020

Wow. Ok. Thanks.
Reason12, Win10

ab459

15 Jun 2020

buddard wrote:
14 Jun 2020
ab459 wrote:
21 May 2020
Sorry, hadn't seen this comment before.

There is no dry/wet blending in Resonans, what you hear coming out of the model is what it produces.
Both Inharmonic String and Modal Resonator works by transforming the incoming audio, whether it's the built-in noise source, a user sample, or the audio input.
Inharmonic String will run the audio through carefully tuned delay loops (Karplus-Strong synthesis) with some filters in the feedback loop.
Modal Resonator is an array of parallel bandpass filters whose filters are tuned in different configurations.
So depending on the settings and the characteristics of the incoming audio signal, the source will be more or less recognizable in the output.
The FM model is different from the other two, since it only uses the amplitude of the incoming audio, the sound itself is generated by an internal FM synthesizer.
Hmm, ok got it, thanks.

• Information