[Shell rant] So who should buy the R studio?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Yonatan

01 Feb 2020

JiggeryPokery wrote:
01 Feb 2020
But yeah, anyway. Some beans+some beans is not just a small casserole. Reason Studios is run by Verdane.
Yes, that is a fact. And the thing that makes so many Reason users on the fence what is going on is just that fact of Verdane being an "active owner". If I remember correct, V got involved earlier but we was ensured that it just was an inflow of resources, and that all was as before with Ernst and PH going on as supposed but with a higher rate of capacity. That went into V more or less taking over and Ernst left as CEO. R11 suddenly comes out under another company name. And now what...and the Rack plugin thing made many wonder about Reason as a DAW. We all got reassurance that Reason will continue to be the core foundation. But all we see is about the Rack plugin and the RE market side. And we keep believing that "well, once they get that sorted out a bit and get more users onboard, RS will spend more resources on all so very needed updates to Reason as DAW.
But then comes something else, and something else...and then comes R12 with a few fixes again? :)

tumar

01 Feb 2020

Native Instruments: premium software matched with premium hardware. NI is good at DJ and performance stuff, but has no producer (DAW) platform.

https://djtechtools.com/2017/10/26/nati ... ment-next/

xboix

01 Feb 2020

<cough, cough> Apple <cough, cough>

Logic + Garage Band + Reason would sure sell a few more hardware boxes.

EnochLight

01 Feb 2020

JiggeryPokery wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Some beans + some beans!

But yes, anyway. Some beans + some beans is not just a very small casserole. Reason Studios is run by Verdane.
That's one bean to have on your bean casserole. It's nice to speculate. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

esselfortium

01 Feb 2020

Ableton and Apple already have DAWs. If they bought another one, it certainly wouldn't be with the intent to keep working on it as its own product.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Busta US

01 Feb 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
31 Jan 2020
Busta US wrote:
31 Jan 2020
This is really sad news....Was seriously considering completely switching to Reason...shoot....Didn't know the company has been bought...
I fail to understand why this would have to stop your plans? Despite the above I upgraded to Reason 10, bought heavily into several Rack Extensions and well... I'm good ;) Although I don't see myself upgrading to versions beyond Reason 10 I do see myself continuing to use Reason for many years to come.
In your example you mentioned a company was bought by Ableton to create Live Max. If the same happens for Reason then there will be no more Reason but some company taking over both the application and the user interface :( And I hope that's not going to happen.

Proboscis

01 Feb 2020

Busta US wrote:
01 Feb 2020
In your example you mentioned a company was bought by Ableton to create Live Max. If the same happens for Reason then there will be no more Reason but some company taking over both the application and the user interface :( And I hope that's not going to happen.
Don't worry about it, and buy software for what it is today, not for what it may be in the future.

Busta US

02 Feb 2020

Proboscis wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Busta US wrote:
01 Feb 2020
Don't worry about it, and buy software for what it is today, not for what it may be in the future.
I was replying to Shell's comment. And it's a very bad idea to buy a software for what it is today. You need to have a vision for the future brother. Music DAWs evolve and so do plugins and techniques. If you find yourself in a DAW that does not evolve with the current technology you'll find yourself using old methods. Not always bad, but you'd definitely be missing out.

Nocturn789

05 Feb 2020

ShelLuser wrote:
30 Jan 2020
I got a license to use 11 but... no thanks
If you don't want it, can I have it?
:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

kitekrazy

05 Feb 2020

People have their fantasies of a company being acquired by another and they tend to turn out to be nightmares. If one is bought by Gibson you know its over.
Magix bought the Sony stuff but they are a company that makes all sorts of software for different kinds of consumers.
DAW developers usually don't buy other DAW developers. That's too big of a responsibility.
The DAW software world has gotten so huge since the turn of the century and I doubt the profits are as large. Stuff I have now didn't cost near what it would cost in 2002.

I don't really have a primary DAW yet because I have too many of them. But it might FL Studio. I thought it was great to see an OctoRex thread. All DAWs have a uniqueness to them and you will have loyal followers no matter what is considered a better DAW. I think the racks and cables are the coolest thing about Reason.

When Cakewalk went under I took advantage of some deals. I got the bigger version of Tracktion. I eventually deleted that and wont upgrade since they like to push out paid versions and updates. I also got Samplitude. It is a fine DAW but that I can't do the upgrade prices. I'm done with Live Suite (only Live) because the hefty upgrade price doesn't really give you much. Last summer I got Cubase for $150. Now they want $60 for .5 upgrade. It sits on one system and there are some hassles with dongled software that is a DAW. That was a waste of money no matter how great it is considered. I like Reason's licensing.

I think it's more important to keep existing users than trying to gain new ones. With budget DAWs out there with Bandlab being free and Reaper at $60 the competition is tougher.

As for Reason I don't think it will ever decease because of the loyal users. If it got acquired (again?) I would tremble than celebrate.

Still watin on a deal for v11. The upgrade price isn't that steep but I'd prefer to get that 9-10 upgrade when I paid $80. BTW that was also when we got some cool stuff for free like Europa.

• Information