New interface time?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EdGrip

31 Jan 2020

It looks like my dear old UR22 MK1 has died. It's been having trouble all week and today I couldn't get it to start at all. No amount of reinstalling drivers or trying different USB cables and ports has revived it. It just sits there with its light flashing. Poor thing. It might be my laptop dying, but I suspect it's the interface.

Anyway! If I have to buy a new interface right now it'll probably be a Motu M4 - UNLESS any of you has a better idea!
I almost never plug a mic in, but the ability to involve my pedal collection would be new and fun. Most important for me are driver stability and low latency. I have no use for anything above 48kHz but that's just a usage note not a restriction. Windows 10. Go!

guitfnky

31 Jan 2020

I’d just say be a little wary of MOTU. their hardware is solid, so you’ll probably be okay, but their customer service is terrible, so if you do run into problems, or have a question, you may end up with an unnecessary headache.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

xboix

31 Jan 2020

Try the interface on another computer before you spend cash on a new interface.

Is there any reason you would not buy another UR22? Similar interfaces at similar prices are available from Focusrite and Presonus. Both have good stable drivers and great support.

EdGrip

31 Jan 2020

I know it's daft, but I don't like to buy the same thing twice - I feel it's like buying the same car as your last one because it was fine. Life is short and the world is full of different kinds of cars that are different experiences.
There's a Windows 7 PC I can test it on - good point - I'll see what I can learn from that.

I'm also looking at the Presonus 26c - broadly similar spec and has the advantage of actually being in stock. The Presonus can do CV but I doubt I'll ever get round to playing with that. Both have very impressive low latency.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2020

Presonus can do CV out if you want to control HW/Modular, also very good sw bundle. Focusrite also has solid sw bundle, but I do not think they can do DC voltage out for CV control. I have Presonus.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

EdGrip

04 Feb 2020

Given that latency, stability, and output (rather than input) quality are my main concerns, I'm considering taking the plunge and getting a Babyface Pro. It would work for music making and listening, hopefully for a long time to come.

Presonus use generic class-compliant drivers, and the Komplete Audio 6 seems to be well-regarded for drivers (as it always has been).

Still no luck making the UR22 work - I'll email Steinberg.

EdGrip

06 Feb 2020

I just ordered a MOTU M4. I don't mind being an early adopter. Good converters, low latency and not too expensive. If it's a nightmare I'll let you all know about it!

The only drawback (for me) is that you can't set up a cue mix in headphones. But I figure if I ever start playing with Traktor properly I'll need to get one of NI's Traktor controllers, and they come with a cue mix headphone jack.

• Information