Sold my MPC Live and picked up an Elektron Digitakt

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
cognitive

19 Jul 2019

I spent the time over the past few months and learned the ins-and-outs of using the MPC Live, but ironically given the name of the product, it just wasn't doing it for me as a live performance unit. I used it successfully as a hub for live performances, but most of the "magic" was coming from other devices like my Circuit Mono Station.

The gigs I've been doing with just a Digitone and a Circuit Mono Station have been much more lively sounding and have had a more flexible feel that when I include the MPC. My thought is that with the Digitakt, I can bring samples and a more dedicated drum sequencer back into the mix without losing the fun and mojo I've been getting from the synths.

So far, so good. It sounds bright, but beefy just like the Digitone, and I already know 90% of the workflow, so I'm already diving in and creating some stuff.

Blended together, the 'takt and 'tone are sounding really good and I'm loving the unified workflow of using two almost identical feeling but very different sounding devices.

Yep, I have definitely swallowed the Elektron kool-aid.

cognitive

20 Jul 2019

My current sweet, sweet live rig:

Setup_071919_small.jpg
Setup_071919_small.jpg (245.35 KiB) Viewed 7430 times

PhillipOrdonez

20 Jul 2019

Lucky! Now I want more things though... 😭

I'm curious to hear the stuff you make!

cognitive

20 Jul 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Jul 2019
Lucky! Now I want more things though... 😭

I'm curious to hear the stuff you make!
It's evolving. :D

However, I'm doing a live show tonight (a mood landing party) so I'll see if I can get a video or something.

Hopefully I'm done with electronic noisemaker purchases for a while. :oops:

jayhosking

20 Jul 2019

Can't wait to finally hear some of this altogether.

In our ongoing symmetry, I actually sold my Akai Force and recently picked up the Analog Four MkII. If you like the Digitone and you like subtractive synths, you really, really ought to give it a spin, because man alive the thing sounds huge. I like it so much that I picked up the Analog Rytm MkII; I'm not sure how much this one will be for me, as it's missing some of my favourite performance features of something like the DrumBrute Impact, but it's also got an insanely powerful analog drum engine, so I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.

cognitive

24 Jul 2019

jayhosking wrote:
20 Jul 2019
Can't wait to finally hear some of this altogether.

In our ongoing symmetry, I actually sold my Akai Force and recently picked up the Analog Four MkII. If you like the Digitone and you like subtractive synths, you really, really ought to give it a spin, because man alive the thing sounds huge. I like it so much that I picked up the Analog Rytm MkII; I'm not sure how much this one will be for me, as it's missing some of my favourite performance features of something like the DrumBrute Impact, but it's also got an insanely powerful analog drum engine, so I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.
Throwing gas on a fire here! :evil:

I have been eyeing that A4MKII ... I’ll probably wait though, until I really start maxing out the DT/DN/CMS combo. I have a ways to go there, especially now that I’m making legit music with the new Digitakt in the mix.

It’s so much quicker and more natural for me to get compelling drum grooves out of the Digitakt than it ever was the MPC. I don’t know why I always felt like I was fighting the MPC. The Digitone, and now the Digitakt both let me get to good lively sounding stuff without over-thinking.

I did “get” the DT right away, but it took a couple of days of really creating on it to get proficient with the way it manages and mangles samples. It’s great though because now I can take just about any sample that has some elements of what I need and then just mangle it until it’s exactly what I had in mind.

I can make entire tracks with either the DT or DN now, but both together playing to their strengths? :puf_bigsmile: Whooooooooo!

cognitive

27 Jul 2019

This is getting crazy in a good way.

To accelerate my music making process, I've managed to connect Reason's players to both the Digitakt and Digitone in one project. This setup allows me to record basic grooves and generative patterns into both devices, giving me some fantastic starting points for new material.

Here is a simple version with a Drum Sequencer out to channel 14 for the Digitakt and a QNG into channels 1-4 of the Digitone.

ReasonDigitaktDigitone.jpg
ReasonDigitaktDigitone.jpg (499.69 KiB) Viewed 7294 times
The MIDI out of my interface is going into the DT, and the MIDI Thru of the DT is going to the MIDI in of the DN. For this purpose, both devices are set to receive sync from Reason.

MIDI channel inputs 1-4 are disabled on the DT so that the QNG output will pass through to the DN without triggering anything on the DT.

Note that in this configuration, lanes 5-8 are muted on the Drum Sequencer because I like recording basic patterns, then leaving tracks 5-8 on the DT open for adding and creating other parts. But no reason you couldn't select sounds for all 8 lanes and record everything in a pattern.

The same can be done with the DT, just record 1 or 2 generated parts, then have another 2 or 3 tracks open for future creation and play.

With Reason and the Elektrons synced, I can press REC on either or both devices, then press PLAY in Reason and the MIDI gets recorded to the boxes, then later in standalone I can modify, add parts and do live performance with the material.

This is a fun way to accelerate and jump-start musical ideas on the hardware.

jayhosking

27 Jul 2019

Wow, this rabbit hole goes deep! I love it.

Sterioevo

27 Jul 2019

cognitive wrote:
27 Jul 2019
This is getting crazy in a good way.

To accelerate my music making process, I've managed to connect Reason's players to both the Digitakt and Digitone in one project. This setup allows me to record basic grooves and generative patterns into both devices, giving me some fantastic starting points for new material.

Here is a simple version with a Drum Sequencer out to channel 14 for the Digitakt and a QNG into channels 1-4 of the Digitone.

ReasonDigitaktDigitone.jpg

The MIDI out of my interface is going into the DT, and the MIDI Thru of the DT is going to the MIDI in of the DN. For this purpose, both devices are set to receive sync from Reason.

MIDI channel inputs 1-4 are disabled on the DT so that the QNG output will pass through to the DN without triggering anything on the DT.

Note that in this configuration, lanes 5-8 are muted on the Drum Sequencer because I like recording basic patterns, then leaving tracks 5-8 on the DT open for adding and creating other parts. But no reason you couldn't select sounds for all 8 lanes and record everything in a pattern.

The same can be done with the DT, just record 1 or 2 generated parts, then have another 2 or 3 tracks open for future creation and play.

With Reason and the Elektrons synced, I can press REC on either or both devices, then press PLAY in Reason and the MIDI gets recorded to the boxes, then later in standalone I can modify, add parts and do live performance with the material.

Yes I also find this type of arrangement an easier approach when working with chords and for synth type samples in the digitakt and octatrack. Midi CC control to the Elektron's from Reason is enjoyable as well - LFO everything :).

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2019

cognitive wrote:
27 Jul 2019

Does them record the triplets also?
Have you tried add delay to midi and record it?
Does them record those delayed too or they "snap to bar"???
Can you export the midi from them?

Pretty cool devices..

(I use this tecnique on my volca's, but they all snap to bar)

PhillipOrdonez

16 Jan 2020

Got a takt for Christmas, incredible machine!!!!

Being a complete layman when it comes to the possibilities and workings of and hardware, does anyone with a digitakt know if I can use more than one midi track to sequence different Reason services at the same time? The sequencer is amazing and I want to be able to squeeze as much as possible from it. I know it can control hardware and software from each of the 8 midi channels, but not sure Reason devices can handle separate midi channels at once? Any help would be appreciated. Bonus q: can Reason handle program changes?

:)

O1B

16 Jan 2020

Very Impressive Stuff.
cognitive wrote:
27 Jul 2019
This is getting crazy in a good way

VariableX

16 Jan 2020

Ha yep awesome stuff!
Ive been controlling my digitone from Reason too (quad note, chords, etc). Using the digitone as an audio interface also. Recording the four digi tracks back into Reason simultaneously, while the midi is sent from Reason. I didn't realise i could hit record on the digitone and it will record the midi in the digitone sent from Reason? I also have the OPZ plugged into the digitone and record that too but if im using overbridge i have to hit play similtaniously for it to sync as overbrige is using the usb to pc... i think i need a usb hub if I was going to automatically sync opz and digitone whilst using overbrige and syncing with Reason.

Ixus

30 Jan 2020

I think I am going crazy, Ive been so hyped up for the mpc one but looking more the digitakt i really start to want one!
I've always used Reason for music making since v3 at the beginning of my music journey. I've wondered if getting away from the screen and dig into hardware might be a good move. Sometimes opening up a new project is just daunting.
Doesnt help watching amazing people on youtube jamming either :D

Mpc one seems a bit like a DAW in a box while the digitakt is just more different from anything Ive used.

jayhosking

31 Jan 2020

Switching to a hardware setup is the most productive change I ever made for my music. If you think the Digitakt might work for you, I say just dive in!

Jackjackdaw

31 Jan 2020

I picked up MPC software when it was on sale for $40 here http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info ... ts_id=3219

Wanted to check it out before buying a Live. I like it but not sure it convinced me to buy one.

Ixus

06 Feb 2020

I just ordered a Digitakt... whoops!

Looking forward to it :)

PhillipOrdonez

06 Feb 2020

Ixus wrote:
06 Feb 2020
I just ordered a Digitakt... whoops!

Looking forward to it :)
Welcome to the club!

Ixus

15 Feb 2020

Had if for a few days now and it been a blast! First time in a while i've actually been excited about making music :)
Got overbridge working without much hassle and sampling via usb is just 1 button press away!

• Information