Best options for stream-only sharing of drafts?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

30 Jan 2020

I really wish Google Drive had an option to share streams only. Unless I'm overlooking that option somewhere. That would make things easier.

To be clear, this isn't for security, but more for organization. People can certainly record, convert, or download the source of streams in many cases...

This is for when I'm sharing drafts with a production team and director, that constantly change and get updated. A problem I encounter is then I have multiple variations of something floating around (and never a good feeling having a multitude of rough drafts floating around). And then the next thing you know, somebody is referencing the wrong file, rehearsing with the wrong file, giving notes based on something not up-to-date, etc. No matter my naming convention, my notifications of updates I give via email, the removal of the old files; when files are made available to a large team to download, it seems mixups are bound to happen.

Soundcloud is what I tend to use, but it's got its quirks and it's not as easy to organize and it's a bit busy. Google Drive is a great simple interface to look at, but I can't prevent people from downloading files. I can tell them to avoid downloading and stream in their browser, but that's not likely what will happen.

Anybody else have this issue and have a good solution for sharing drafts?

Proboscis

30 Jan 2020

You can change sharing settings in Google Drive from the web portal by right clicking>share>advanced>who has access. So as you upload a new version, you can stop the old one from being accessed. You can also try ticking the 'disable options to download' so they never have the opportunity to download in the first place. This works for documents I share, but I'm not sure if would still allow one to play only.

>
owner_settings.PNG
owner_settings.PNG (5.99 KiB) Viewed 441 times

joeyluck

30 Jan 2020

Proboscis wrote:
30 Jan 2020
You can change sharing settings in Google Drive from the web portal by right clicking>share>advanced>who has access. So as you upload a new version, you can stop the old one from being accessed. You can also try ticking the 'disable options to download' so they never have the opportunity to download in the first place. This works for documents I share, but I'm not sure if would still allow one to play only.

>
owner_settings.PNG
Thanks. Yeah unfortunately when choosing this option, it prevents access.

Proboscis

30 Jan 2020

That's a shame. I'm interested enough to look into this further (with Google Drive), but if you come up with something in the meantime, please share your results.

It's also a pity that the single click upload with that Alihoopla is gone, I found that to be a brilliant way to quickly & easily share bits of tracks.

• Information