No more NDA!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

29 Jan 2020

Reason Studios have finally released the RE SDK under a public license!
So we're no longer bound by the NDA, and can now freely discuss features and limitations of the RE SDK, publish tutorials and code examples, etc.

Excerpt from the new license:
Reason Studios hereby grants to you a royalty-free license to study, amend and use the Rack Extension SDK in order to (i) develop Rack Extension products for Reason Studios Shop and (ii) develop, publish and distribute user tutorials, manuals, graphical user interfaces, add-ons and other software for use in connection with development of Reason Studios Rack Extension products.
The new developer portal is here: https://developer.reasonstudios.com

dioxide

29 Jan 2020

This is fantastic news :D

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

Smart move

Jackjackdaw

29 Jan 2020

This is great news!

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

ill be casually checking this out, but mostly looking forward to see a new RE devs in the shop

thumbs up
- Certified Reason expert

Loque

29 Jan 2020

Indeed a smart move. Now if i have a bit free time (:-D), i can have a look how to do it and maybe code some sh!t...Or maybe we see some open source stuff on Github...

Downloading...fast as the slowest snail :-D
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (79.08 KiB) Viewed 12626 times
Last edited by Loque on 29 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

chimp_spanner

29 Jan 2020

Super cool! I don't know if it's possible within the current SDK but I'd love to see a drum machine with time stretching and formant controls. I know it's possible(ish) to do using the current tools but just to have it all in one tidy package would be super.

**Edit: nvm, made one with Grains and it's insane haha. #justreasonthings

Fraxis

29 Jan 2020

Excellent! What's the best thing to do going forward? Just let everyone explore the SDK and figure out its limitations individually, or would any of the real experts on here be up for answering questions in a dedicated thread? Or, even better, could someone set up a FAQ with answers to popular questions?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Jan 2020

Fraxis wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Excellent! What's the best thing to do going forward? Just let everyone explore the SDK and figure out its limitations individually, or would any of the real experts on here be up for answering questions in a dedicated thread? Or, even better, could someone set up a FAQ with answers to popular questions?
I would say make the suggestions to Kenni, and see how he wants to play it :)

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

29 Jan 2020

I think this would be a great opportunity for us devs to make some tutorials. When I started out, I found the whole SDK a bit overwhelming and I didn't understand why there had to be so many different parts.

Loque

29 Jan 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Fraxis wrote:
29 Jan 2020
I would say make the suggestions to Kenni, and see how he wants to play it :)
Yea, i guess now its time for a dedicated open and maybe closed dev forum area...
Reason12, Win10

electrofux

29 Jan 2020

Just downloaded the SDK and checked the zip but i couldnt finde any documentation of sorts. In the Documentation Folder in the SDK Folder there is only a text file called "acceptance_testing_checklist.txt".

Loque

29 Jan 2020

electrofux wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Just downloaded the SDK and checked the zip but i couldnt finde any documentation of sorts. In the Documentation Folder in the SDK Folder there is only a text file called "acceptance_testing_checklist.txt".
Check the top navigation:
https://developer.reasonstudios.com/doc ... eboxReadme
Reason12, Win10

artotaku

29 Jan 2020

electrofux wrote:
29 Jan 2020
The docs are now available as web pages. Maybe the pdfs docs are not relevant or updated anymore.

https://developer.reasonstudios.com/doc ... eboxReadme

botnotbot

29 Jan 2020

Nice! Now I can release the custom REX extraction script I wrote as well :D

artotaku

29 Jan 2020

btw, not only RE docs are available but Remote SDK docs as well.
https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dow ... r-products

If you ever wanted to know how you could make a remote codec happen for your MIDI controller, I encourage you to read the docs. It makes it by far easier than reverse engineering existing codecs or relying on information here in the forums.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

29 Jan 2020

Hm, I don't like that choice. I like to have those files available offline.

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

So confused :D

Any help?

PM me :question:

edit: i might have the wrong version of python? i'll try 2.7

edit: nope, something is just messed up on my end.
Last edited by aeox on 29 Jan 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Noiserunner

29 Jan 2020

botnotbot wrote:
29 Jan 2020
I think, that Reason Studios don't allow to offer REs outside the RS Shop nor REs which don't meet the RS expectations. I don't think that decryption of REX-Files for example is in the sense of the RS folks (but would be fine for the users :D ).
... in order to (i) develop Rack Extension products for Reason Studios Shop ...
... and (ii) develop, publish and distribute user tutorials, manuals, graphical user interfaces, add-ons and other software for use in connection with development of Reason Studios Rack Extension products.
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

botnotbot

29 Jan 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
29 Jan 2020
botnotbot wrote:
29 Jan 2020
I think, that Reason Studios don't allow to offer REs outside the RS Shop nor REs which don't meet the RS expectations. I don't think that decryption of REX-Files for example is in the sense of the RS folks (but would be fine for the users :D ).
... in order to (i) develop Rack Extension products for Reason Studios Shop ...
... and (ii) develop, publish and distribute user tutorials, manuals, graphical user interfaces, add-ons and other software for use in connection with development of Reason Studios Rack Extension products.
Um, what? The library (REX2 SDK, not RE SDK) that my script depends on is now available for everyone to download and use. And the documentation and thus the API is now public too, which means I can discuss my work and share it freely.

This isn't about decrypting REX files, by the way. This is for extracting the slices. Those are quite different.

EDIT: Decryption only makes sense in the context of Refills. There is nothing sinister about extracting individual slices of REX files. You can do it in the Reason software itself, it just takes way more time to bounce each note to an individual sample.

Noiserunner

29 Jan 2020

botnotbot wrote:
29 Jan 2020
There is nothing sinister about extracting individual slices of REX files. You can do it in the Reason software itself, it just takes way more time to bounce each note to an individual sample.
Yes, of course. I was only thinking about, that there are no tools outside of Reason to handle REX-Files (afaik).
For example: if you own Korg Gadget, the STOCKHOLM gadget is a copy of Dr. Octo Rex and uses REX-Files. But you cannot create your own REX-Files with Gadget. You have to use existing files or use REASON.
So was my opinion, that it is not in the sense of RS to give direct creation or processing of the files out of the own hands.
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

Busta US

29 Jan 2020

I am not even a developer and I am excited for this! I think it will push me to learn coding. Reason Studios are the gurus of music technology! Bless!

sdst
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

so with all those open-source vst code, now we can create rack extensions? :)

very nice, only need to learn Python

guitfnky

29 Jan 2020

Reason Studios hereby grants to you a royalty-free license to study, amend and use the Rack Extension SDK
wait, does that mean it’s open-source now? devs can actually modify the SDK code itself? that would be huge.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

botnotbot

29 Jan 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
29 Jan 2020
botnotbot wrote:
29 Jan 2020
There is nothing sinister about extracting individual slices of REX files. You can do it in the Reason software itself, it just takes way more time to bounce each note to an individual sample.
Yes, of course. I was only thinking about, that there are no tools outside of Reason to handle REX-Files (afaik).
For example: if you own Korg Gadget, the STOCKHOLM gadget is a copy of Dr. Octo Rex and uses REX-Files. But you cannot create your own REX-Files with Gadget. You have to use existing files or use REASON.
So was my opinion, that it is not in the sense of RS to give direct creation or processing of the files out of the own hands.
The REX2 SDK is now available for download and public consumption. This means that an open source Recycle can be created if someone wants to. I will have to look closer at the license but the RE SDK terms are likely not going to be exactly applicable to the REX2 SDK, which was always designed as an embeddable library to be used by other products (such as Kontakt, Logic, etc. REX compatibility was a must-have for about a decade or more in samplers).

• Information