What is the ONE feature you'd like to have in the future version of Reason ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
supersplaron

29 Jan 2020

Thanks for all the suggestions! :) I'll make sure @anosou sees this thread.

kuhliloach

29 Jan 2020

scalable hi-res ui

Faastwalker

29 Jan 2020

ONE - Track warping, like in Live & Acid.

Also;

Rack / Device zoom - Hi-Res GUI.

Combinator 2 (long overdue).

Rack device lock in place.

Busta US

29 Jan 2020

supersplaron wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to see our thread and posts :thumbup: I am a new Reason user coming from FL and Logic and I instantly fell in love with Reason. Full support <3

Busta US

29 Jan 2020

The one feature I personally really need for ongoing flow in my music production (I'm going to spill 2 in 1 because I feel they are related)

- A Brush Tool
- A faster way to insert/delete notes in the sequencer (I'd love a workflow similar to FL Studio, where inserting and removing notes is flawless without having to shift between edit tools (pen, eraser, etc...))

supersplaron

29 Jan 2020

Busta US wrote:
29 Jan 2020
The one feature I personally really need for ongoing flow in my music production (I'm going to spill 2 in 1 because I feel they are related)

- A Brush Tool
- A faster way to insert/delete notes in the sequencer (I'd love a workflow similar to FL Studio, where inserting and removing notes is flawless without having to shift between edit tools (pen, eraser, etc...))
In Reason 11, we added a way to brush notes with the pen tool. I think it's cmd/ctrl+shift + click (and drag) to brush notes in the sequencer.

With the arrow tool, you can double click to enter notes, and double click again to remove them.

supersplaron

29 Jan 2020

Busta US wrote:
29 Jan 2020
supersplaron wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to see our thread and posts :thumbup: I am a new Reason user coming from FL and Logic and I instantly fell in love with Reason. Full support <3
That's great! Welcome! :)

Busta US

29 Jan 2020

supersplaron wrote:
29 Jan 2020
With the arrow tool, you can double click to enter notes, and double click again to remove them.
Thank you for your respone :)

Yes I am well aware of everything you have mentioned :thumbs_up: . But it's having to double click that slows my work :( Because I create music that has a lot of percussion/drum variation, it's much faster for me and more intuitive to click once to add a note, and once to remove it. Sometimes I make a drum pattern just to test it, and for me it's time consuming to double click everytime I have to remove the notes or add them.
I know you can obviously choose the eraser mode to erase the notes but for that I have to choose another edit tool which interrupts the workflow. Which is why I personally feel the new drum roll feature in R11 can me so much improved :thumbup:

I don't know if you've used FL Studio before, but the way you add/remove the notes in the sequencer is very fast which makes it easier to be more creative to try out different drum patterns. Instead of having to double click on each note to add or remove it, you can just hold the right-click and remove all the notes at once, or hold the left click and add all the notes at once (if using the brush tool)

This is what I mean (starts at 1:47 and also at 2:45 so that you understand precisely what I mean)

Sorry I don't mean to complain but I REALLY REALLY hope you take this into consideration.

Also to be able to directly drop audio samples from Browser to Redrum in the sequencer like fellow member has suggested viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7512888

This is literally all I need to fully switch from FL Studio to Reason, literally !!!!!

chimp_spanner

29 Jan 2020

Busta US wrote:
29 Jan 2020
supersplaron wrote:
29 Jan 2020

Yes I am well aware of everything you have mentioned :thumbs_up: . But it's having to double click that slows my work :( Because I create music that has a lot of percussion/drum variation, it's much faster for me and more intuitive to click once to add a note, and once to remove it. Sometimes I make a drum pattern just to test it, and for me it's time consuming to double click everytime I have to remove the notes or add them.
I know you can obviously choose the eraser mode to erase the notes but for that I have to choose another edit tool which interrupts the workflow. Which is why I personally feel the new drum roll feature in R11 can me so much improved :thumbup:

I don't know if you've used FL Studio before, but the way you add/remove the notes in the sequencer is very fast which makes it easier to be more creative to try out different drum patterns. Instead of having to double click on each note to add or remove it, you can just hold the right-click and remove all the notes at once, or hold the left click and add all the notes at once (if using the brush tool)

This is what I mean (starts at 1:47 and also at 2:45 so that you understand precisely what I mean)

Sorry I don't mean to complain but I REALLY REALLY hope you take this into consideration.

Also to be able to directly drop audio samples from Browser to Redrum in the sequencer like fellow member has suggested viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7512888

This is literally all I need to fully switch from FL Studio to Reason, literally !!!!!
The quickest way is to switch to the eraser tool, and then you can turn it into a one-click draw tool by just holding down CMD (or whatever the equivalent key in Windows is; CTRL?). That way you can really quickly switch between drawing and erasing just by holding or not holding CMD. That's absolutely the fastest way I can think of within the current sequencer workflow!

And yeah this method also works with CMD+Option, so you can switch from Eraser to multi-draw, and then if you want to get rid of notes, release CMD and either single click notes or marquee around them with the eraser tool to get rid.

Busta US

29 Jan 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Busta US wrote:
29 Jan 2020

The quickest way is to switch to the eraser tool, and then you can turn it into a one-click draw tool by just holding down CMD (or whatever the equivalent key in Windows is; CTRL?). That way you can really quickly switch between drawing and erasing just by holding or not holding CMD. That's absolutely the fastest way I can think of within the current sequencer workflow!

And yeah this method also works with CMD+Option, so you can switch from Eraser to multi-draw, and then if you want to get rid of notes, release CMD and either single click notes or marquee around them with the eraser tool to get rid.
Yup, I know that :thumbs_up: . I'm using a mac as well. What I'm asking for is a more intuitive way to insert/remove notes in the sequencer. Once you get used to the flawless note writing in FL Studio, being inside Reason feels like it holds back the creativity in this regard specifically. It's like using the mac touchpad and all of a sudden having an old Windows laptop with no touchpad features (click on the scroll bar to scroll instead of finger-scrolling on the touchpad)

chimp_spanner

29 Jan 2020

Busta US wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Yup, I know that :thumbs_up: . I'm using a mac as well. What I'm asking for is a more intuitive way to insert/remove notes in the sequencer. Once you get used to the flawless note writing in FL Studio, being inside Reason feels like it holds back the creativity in this regard specifically. It's like using the mac touchpad and all of a sudden having an old Windows laptop with no touchpad features (click on the scroll bar to scroll instead of finger-scrolling on the touchpad)
Hmm, I might not be understanding right then!

"But it's having to double click that slows my work" - don't have to do that if you use CMD

"I have to choose another edit tool which interrupts the workflow" - which is why I'd suggest using the eraser, then you don't really have to choose another tool. Just toggle holding CMD to switch between adding/removing really quickly

"instead of having to double click on each note to add or remove it, you can just hold the right-click and remove all the notes at once, or hold the left click and add all the notes at once (if using the brush tool)" - CMD + one click (cursor) to draw. Or one click (eraser) to remove. CMD+Option+Drag (cursor/pen) to draw multiple. Or click and drag (eraser) to remove multiple.

What would be nice, maybe, is if clicking on the same note/s again with the pencil erases. I mean it's not possible to draw two events in the same place, so it's not like Reason wouldn't know if you want to add or remove. That might be a good solution! And then the eraser, I guess, would be a legacy tool for people who prefer to keep the two actions separate.

Busta US

29 Jan 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Busta US wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Hmm, I might not be understanding right then!

"But it's having to double click that slows my work" - don't have to do that if you use CMD

"I have to choose another edit tool which interrupts the workflow" - which is why I'd suggest using the eraser, then you don't really have to choose another tool. Just toggle holding CMD to switch between adding/removing really quickly

"instead of having to double click on each note to add or remove it, you can just hold the right-click and remove all the notes at once, or hold the left click and add all the notes at once (if using the brush tool)" - CMD + one click (cursor) to draw. Or one click (eraser) to remove. CMD+Option+Drag (cursor/pen) to draw multiple. Or click and drag (eraser) to remove multiple.

What would be nice, maybe, is if clicking on the same note/s again with the pencil erases. I mean it's not possible to draw two events in the same place, so it's not like Reason wouldn't know if you want to add or remove. That might be a good solution! And then the eraser, I guess, would be a legacy tool for people who prefer to keep the two actions separate.
But holding CMD is STILL an extra step :) Versus having to click once to add/remove like in FL Studio with no other key required!

And yes! The countless times I thought to myself I just wish you can click back on the note, while in pencil mode,to remove the note. Because notice, when you click on the already created note in the sequencer, while in pencil mode, it doesn't do anything :)

ab459

29 Jan 2020

Busta US wrote:
26 Jan 2020
Now that we know that RS is working on RRP MIDI Out, besides that, out of curiosity, if RS has to work on ONE feature for the coming version of Reason, what would it be for you guys ? :)
In any case, for me this is still support of midi plugins and respectively MIDI OUT :puf_smile: (while its not implemented yet)
All other - non critically.
(Well, maybe assignable automation for knobs in NN-XT advanced section. But hope is very small that it will be)

ab459

29 Jan 2020

Or rather, i have request not for add something, but for not ruin of that exists now, beautiful things that form Rizon's face by decades: his interface for example, as well UI's of classical Reason devices like Subtractor and Malmstrom, not touch it please, this is really beautiful design. I mean, really would not like to see them once in the form of some kind of flat vector pictures, as fashionable it is now. It will kill the atmosphere\the whole authenticity.

SebAudio

29 Jan 2020

Multiple levels of zoom for the rack a la Europa VST

raveled
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

Automatic vocal takes alignment. Would save so much time.

diminished
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

I hope Mattias will remember the countless feature request threads of the past. :(
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

29 Jan 2020

diminished wrote:
29 Jan 2020
I hope Mattias will remember the countless feature request threads of the past. :(
me too. and the feature requests users have submitted through the “proper” channels (i.e. via the feedback links on the RS website).

I was glad Mattias had responded shortly after the R11 announcement on the topic, and I’m glad to see another representative from RS responding here. it gave me hope then, and it gives me hope now, that they truly are committed to ongoing maintenance and improvements to the Reason DAW. that said, the next updates to Reason will need to show they‘re making a good faith effort to address the DAW‘s shortcomings, or I think people like myself are going to start losing faith pretty quickly in the direction they’re going.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

dioxide

29 Jan 2020

Clip launching / pattern tracks

Creativemind

29 Jan 2020

Cloned / Linked / Mimic'd Clips.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Oquasec

29 Jan 2020

wait for midi.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

groggy1

30 Jan 2020

Creativemind wrote:
29 Jan 2020
+1

This is probably the top item that slows down my workflow: If I update one clip today (after making 20 copies), it's really hard to remember 5 minutes later which clip had the changes and which didn't. Or if I come back the next day, how do I even tell which of the 20 copies I had edited?

Periwinkle

30 Jan 2020

Track folders
Hide tracks and channel strips
Freeze tracks (Like Logic)
Scalable UI
Custom colour for tracks/channels
A more modern looking sequencer (Like studio One)

But mainly track folders

.“Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.”

― Banksy

guitfnky

30 Jan 2020

groggy1 wrote:
30 Jan 2020
Creativemind wrote:
29 Jan 2020
+1

This is probably the top item that slows down my workflow: If I update one clip today (after making 20 copies), it's really hard to remember 5 minutes later which clip had the changes and which didn't. Or if I come back the next day, how do I even tell which of the 20 copies I had edited?
one thing I’ve had to rely on to keep track of my MIDI clips is clip coloring and clip labeling. if I need to edit something, I’ll color it red, and change it back to the track color after I’ve made my edits. depending on your workflow, maybe something like that could help. clip linking wouldn’t help me personally all that much (since I use Blocks pretty heavily), but it definitely belongs in Reason.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information