New Omega DEQ

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

23 Jan 2020

guitfnky wrote:
23 Jan 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
22 Jan 2020
I have a feeling they would make more money by having competitive and attractive features like dynamic eq, waveshaping, and band-limited sidechaining, and selling more copies of Reason, compared to the small amount they make on niche RE sales.

I know nothing about marketing, but I suspect that a couple of new EQs and compressors wouldn’t get too many people to buy into the Reason ecosystem, who otherwise wouldn’t have. for people who were already on the fence about buying it, maybe they’d pick up an extra sale or two, but I find it hard to believe lots of people would look at all the stuff available in Reason and go “oh, well it’s got all that, but it doesn’t have a fancy new dynamic EQ, so I’m going to pass”.
I am curious how a multiband envelope follower can be build in other DAWs?
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

23 Jan 2020

Well, I am not saying that what Reason needs is only a new EQ; there's a whole laundry list of things it needs. But I am saying that it needs modernization, and devices like the DEQ or forgotten Waveshaper would be the kind of quality it needs to compete with rival software. With a few exceptions the Reason devices are mostly very dated and not attractive especially to the EDM kids they seem to be targeting. Another way of looking at it; in 2025, why would anyone buy a DAW that doesn't have a dynamic EQ?
guitfnky wrote:
23 Jan 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
22 Jan 2020
I have a feeling they would make more money by having competitive and attractive features like dynamic eq, waveshaping, and band-limited sidechaining, and selling more copies of Reason, compared to the small amount they make on niche RE sales.

I know nothing about marketing, but I suspect that a couple of new EQs and compressors wouldn’t get too many people to buy into the Reason ecosystem, who otherwise wouldn’t have. for people who were already on the fence about buying it, maybe they’d pick up an extra sale or two, but I find it hard to believe lots of people would look at all the stuff available in Reason and go “oh, well it’s got all that, but it doesn’t have a fancy new dynamic EQ, so I’m going to pass”.

chaosroyale

23 Jan 2020

Just saw the update - dude, you are knocking it out the park with these devices. You're right up there with Selig and JiggeryPokery. I hope Reason sorts out its identity issues and you can sell a bunch of these to new users.
ForgottenClank wrote:
20 Jan 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Add a sidechain input to the band-limited detection signal, and this would be a very attractive option for selective ducking, thanks to your nice clear interface and the simplicity of the unit.
Someone else suggested this to me already and I'm currently working on it.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

23 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
23 Jan 2020
Just saw the update - dude, you are knocking it out the park with these devices. You're right up there with Selig and JiggeryPokery. I hope Reason sorts out its identity issues and you can sell a bunch of these to new users.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. There will be one more RE coming early next week.

Noiserunner

23 Jan 2020

Great device. I bought it right away. The quick update confirmed my gut feeling. :thumbs_up:
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

guitfnky

23 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
23 Jan 2020
Well, I am not saying that what Reason needs is only a new EQ; there's a whole laundry list of things it needs. But I am saying that it needs modernization, and devices like the DEQ or forgotten Waveshaper would be the kind of quality it needs to compete with rival software. With a few exceptions the Reason devices are mostly very dated and not attractive especially to the EDM kids they seem to be targeting. Another way of looking at it; in 2025, why would anyone buy a DAW that doesn't have a dynamic EQ?
guitfnky wrote:
23 Jan 2020

gotcha, that makes sense. I don’t know that I’d ever hinge my DAW purchasing decision on whether or not there’s a dynamic EQ bundled with it (pretty sure there are other DAWs out there that don’t offer that either), but I’m with you on the rest of that, for sure.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

moneykube

26 Jan 2020

"All of this in a compact 2 rack unit package can save your mix.">>>> is this 2nd rack the one coming? The one I mac tested?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

26 Jan 2020

moneykube wrote:
26 Jan 2020
"All of this in a compact 2 rack unit package can save your mix.">>>> is this 2nd rack the one coming? The one I mac tested?
The one coming next week is, yes.

Ottostrom

27 Jan 2020

So I've been testing this device in a few different mixing scenarios and I gotta say, what a useful tool!

I had this strange Subtractor pluck with a really annoying spike which only occurred on some notes. My previous attempt at a transparent fix was using the DQ which gave me pretty good results, but the Omega definitely won that round. For me it's just a lot easier to dial in.
I came in to write about it now after I just put a lowshelf on an electric bass, with slow attack and release, which cleaned up the mix and gave it some energy! :D

My only small complaint is that the knobs (and the amount value) are so small that I keep accidentally dragging the device lol.

MannequinRaces

27 Jan 2020

For those that own both I’m assuming this is better than Carve? Either way I’d rather support a developer who is active rather than one who is not.

O1B

27 Jan 2020

One of the most unique decides on offer.. anywhere... imo...so - HECK YES!
The DQ is quite Potent.

Selig-level Niceness, imo:
Simple, Quaint, USEFUL UI... check!

My only Request (NOT a MUST) is Stereo un-linking ... or, i'm forced to use two.
Nothing worse that killing Left-Right Dynamics with a Device responsible for Dynamics. ... it's a Reason thing.. :puf_smile: .

If I didn't say...I WANT THIS. Thank you.

Center Audio and Width... hmmmm......
ForgottenClank wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Adam here, the dev of this RE. I guess if you already own DQ there's not much this has to offer except if you really like the frequency analyzer and (in my opinion more intuitive) center frequency / width controls.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

27 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2020
My only Request (NOT a MUST) is Stereo un-linking ... or, i'm forced to use two.
Nothing worse that killing Left-Right Dynamics with a Device responsible for Dynamics. ... it's a Reason thing.. :puf_smile: .
Good idea, I've put it on my todo list.

O1B

28 Jan 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
27 Jan 2020
O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2020
Good idea, I've put it on my todo list.

Ottostrom

30 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2020
This comment actually ended up helping me :)

I had two different takes of an acoustic guitar panned L-R, and tried to tame the punchiness of them in the bus with an Omega targeting around 1.3 kHz.
It worked okay but introduced a ducking feel that I was not a fan of. After reading this I realized it's because the ducking happens on both sides even when it's only relevant on one, and now with a separate Omega on both tracks it sounds sweet :thumbs_up:

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 May 2020

O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2020

Your request has been implemented with the new update. There have also been a few small bugfixes which should make the device behave more predictably.

O1B

23 May 2020

Just saw..... Thank you.

Loading R11 and Omega DEQ. AWESOME!!!
ForgottenClank wrote:
20 May 2020
O1B wrote:
27 Jan 2020

Your request has been implemented with the new update. There have also been a few small bugfixes which should make the device behave more predictably.

Ottostrom

23 Feb 2021

I think I just found a bug in the DEQ.
If you switch to "Split Stereo" as your stereo mode it will completely mangle your sound if you include any amount of Lookahead. Thought my computer was about to die or something when I heard it lol.

As a sidenote while I'm in this thread I wanna add that this is such a great device. Simple to use and shows you what is happening in a clean way :thumbs_up:

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

24 Feb 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
23 Feb 2021
If you switch to "Split Stereo" as your stereo mode it will completely mangle your sound if you include any amount of Lookahead. Thought my computer was about to die or something when I heard it lol.

As a sidenote while I'm in this thread I wanna add that this is such a great device. Simple to use and shows you what is happening in a clean way :thumbs_up:
Good catch! I've fixed it and submitted it to Reason Studios. The fix should be live in a few days, hopefully.
If anyone finds any bugs in any of my devices, feel free to get in touch!

Edit: The server doesn't like this build on Mac. I need to see what causes this issue.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

05 Mar 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
23 Feb 2021
The fix is now live! Hopefully it works as intended now.

Ottostrom

05 Mar 2021

ForgottenClank wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
23 Feb 2021
The fix is now live! Hopefully it works as intended now.
Great! I'll check it out :)

aquil

17 Nov 2023

Works great. I currently use it too tame harshness in my mix. Don't want to use too much VSTs in Reason. Its a quick and good alternative to other Dynamic EQs.

• Information