New Omega DEQ

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

20 Jan 2020

New dynamic EQ from Forgotten Clank Studios for just 15 bucks intro offer!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... omega-deq/
Peak, highpass or lowpass mode
Parameters span a wide range of values so it is suitable for basically all signals
Manual adjustment of detection filters
Option to compress (by cutting) or expand (by boosting) signals
Amount parameter lets you adjust the amount of dynamic equalization

Judging from the screenshots, i would like to see a Gain Reduction CV output and maybe separate Audio Outputs. CV control for the frequency and a few other parameters would be nice as well. But...you know...i am a CV and mangling fan :-)
Last edited by Loque on 20 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

Zac

20 Jan 2020

Always nice to see a new RE but I already have DQ for this... I'm a little surprised this doesn't expand on DQs functionality... I guess the HP and LP modes are new so there's that but I really like DQs ability to detect and act on different freq bands.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

Zac wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Always nice to see a new RE but I already have DQ for this...
Adam here, the dev of this RE. I guess if you already own DQ there's not much this has to offer except if you really like the frequency analyzer and (in my opinion more intuitive) center frequency / width controls.
Zac wrote:
20 Jan 2020
I'm a little surprised this doesn't expand on DQs functionality... I guess the HP and LP modes are new so there's that but I really like DQs ability to detect and act on different freq bands.
In what way can the Omega DEQ not detect and act on different frequency bands?

Loque

20 Jan 2020

Zac wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Always nice to see a new RE but I already have DQ for this... I'm a little surprised this doesn't expand on DQs functionality... I guess the HP and LP modes are new so there's that but I really like DQs ability to detect and act on different freq bands.
This thing does a bit more and you have the spectrum display.

ANd ofc it can set the dynamic EQ indipendently.
Center
[Knob] Lets you set your own center frequency. As an example, this can be used to
cut the high frequencies with the filter but only when the low frequencies exceed
some threshold. The frequency is also shown as a vertical line in the main display
Reason12, Win10

Zac

20 Jan 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Zac wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Always nice to see a new RE but I already have DQ for this...
Adam here, the dev of this RE. I guess if you already own DQ there's not much this has to offer except if you really like the frequency analyzer and (in my opinion more intuitive) center frequency / width controls.
Zac wrote:
20 Jan 2020
I'm a little surprised this doesn't expand on DQs functionality... I guess the HP and LP modes are new so there's that but I really like DQs ability to detect and act on different freq bands.
In what way can the Omega DEQ not detect and act on different frequency bands?
Please accept my apologies! It obviously can do that. And yes there are other advantages. I condemned prior to proper investigation. Sorry :redface:

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

All good, I wasn't offended or anything :)

chaosroyale

20 Jan 2020

Add a sidechain input to the band-limited detection signal, and this would be a very attractive option for selective ducking, thanks to your nice clear interface and the simplicity of the unit. I use a couple of well-known VSTs for that, but in the RE world there is no "elegant" dynamic sidechain unit, just a few so-so ones.
ForgottenClank wrote:
20 Jan 2020
All good, I wasn't offended or anything :)

chaosroyale

20 Jan 2020

Also Reason Studios: just buy this and Forgotten waveshaper v2 off the guy already! If you aren't going to update your own EQs and distortions, why not make these excellent 3rd party units into native devices.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Also Reason Studios: just buy this and Forgotten waveshaper v2 off the guy already! If you aren't going to update your own EQs and distortions, why not make these excellent 3rd party units into native devices.
Why would they spend money? They are earning it by taking their cut.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Add a sidechain input to the band-limited detection signal, and this would be a very attractive option for selective ducking, thanks to your nice clear interface and the simplicity of the unit.
Someone else suggested this to me already and I'm currently working on it.

Bes
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Thank you Adam, this looks like it is going to be a very good tool. Is CV out (for the dynamic activity) something that you considered and decided against?
- Certified Reason expert

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

Bes wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Thank you Adam, this looks like it is going to be a very good tool. Is CV out (for the dynamic activity) something that you considered and decided against?
I hadn't considered it but it is on my todo list now.

Bes
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Bes wrote:
20 Jan 2020
I hadn't considered it but it is on my todo list now.
thanks again

Ottostrom

20 Jan 2020

Really like the clear and simple UI! I'm in ultra saving mode right now so I can unfortunately not get it straight away, but I really appreciate the RE devs that are still creating these quality devices for the platform :)

MannequinRaces

20 Jan 2020

This looks really nice and sounds like updates are already in the works. Might have to snatch this up!

Majestik Monkey

21 Jan 2020

I'm just testing it at the moment ' but the Omega;s Frequency sweeping sounds sweet "&" very musical! ' :thumbs_up:

Bes
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2020

Majestik Monkey wrote:
21 Jan 2020
I'm just testing it at the moment ' but the Omega;s Frequency sweeping sounds sweet "&" very musical! ' :thumbs_up:
i agree i am getting some great "squelchiness" from hooking up the freq to an envelope and just noodling around with the parameters. also the dynamics can be tuned fairly easily to highlight delicate textures in the harmonics of basic synth tones.

perhaps Adam would consider adding a KBD (adjusting from key) option to the freq and/or centre parameters? i was able to set this up myself for the freq at least and was pleased with the results but it is difficult to stop the freq from resetting during the release phase of the amp env and i forget which devices have key latch functionality.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

22 Jan 2020

Bes wrote:
21 Jan 2020
perhaps Adam would consider adding a KBD (adjusting from key) option to the freq and/or centre parameters? i was able to set this up myself for the freq at least and was pleased with the results but it is difficult to stop the freq from resetting during the release phase of the amp env and i forget which devices have key latch functionality.
I'm not a big CV guy so would that be a CV input?

Loque

22 Jan 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Bes wrote:
21 Jan 2020
Why not both? So you can directly play it via keyboard and additionally you could add an arpeggiator on the back. I just htink, "notest" do not translate linear as normal CV does across the frequency spectrum - not sure atm.
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

22 Jan 2020

I have a feeling they would make more money by having competitive and attractive features like dynamic eq, waveshaping, and band-limited sidechaining, and selling more copies of Reason, compared to the small amount they make on niche RE sales.
diminished wrote:
20 Jan 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Bes
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Bes wrote:
21 Jan 2020
just to be sure we are speaking about the same function i have copied from the Reason manual the Keyboard Tracking entry for the Subtractor filter 1 section but KBD is also usually available for pitch tracking on oscillators and for musical (tuning) reasons it is implemented as a knob usually between 0-100% but in some synths 0-200% and on the Subtractor Oscillators it is a switch either 0% or 100%. i prefer the simplicity of internal routing for this unitask but latched cv input would open up more possibilities with the modular rack environment.

Filter Keyboard Track (Kbd)
If Filter Keyboard Track is activated, the filter frequency will increase the further up on the keyboard you play. If a lowpass filter frequency is constant (a Kbd setting of “0”) this can introduce a certain loss of “sparkle” in a sound the higher up the keyboard you play, because the harmonics in the sound are progressively being cut. By using a degree of Filter Keyboard Tracking, this can be compensated for.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

22 Jan 2020

Bes wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Filter Keyboard Track (Kbd)
If Filter Keyboard Track is activated, the filter frequency will increase the further up on the keyboard you play. If a lowpass filter frequency is constant (a Kbd setting of “0”) this can introduce a certain loss of “sparkle” in a sound the higher up the keyboard you play, because the harmonics in the sound are progressively being cut. By using a degree of Filter Keyboard Tracking, this can be compensated for.
Oh, now I understand! I was thinking about a note CV input but this might be more usable. I'll put it on the potential feature list.

Bes
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2020

thanks again and sorry for the over-explanation. i am now getting the desired result for this fairly easily using ARCUS User Knobs as the note latch device

Loque

23 Jan 2020

That was quick :thumbs_up:
v1.1 changes
Added “Lookahead” control
Added sidechain inputs
Added gain reduction CV output
Added “Stereo Mode” fader on the back
Improved detection algorithm for stereo sources with a prominent side signal
Bug fix: Fixed frequency analyzer when a mono source is connected
Now i think to grab it just for having a quick envelope follower in a frequency spectrum.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

23 Jan 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
22 Jan 2020
I have a feeling they would make more money by having competitive and attractive features like dynamic eq, waveshaping, and band-limited sidechaining, and selling more copies of Reason, compared to the small amount they make on niche RE sales.
diminished wrote:
20 Jan 2020

I know nothing about marketing, but I suspect that a couple of new EQs and compressors wouldn’t get too many people to buy into the Reason ecosystem, who otherwise wouldn’t have. for people who were already on the fence about buying it, maybe they’d pick up an extra sale or two, but I find it hard to believe lots of people would look at all the stuff available in Reason and go “oh, well it’s got all that, but it doesn’t have a fancy new dynamic EQ, so I’m going to pass”.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information