Enlightenspeed Melodic Inverter is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

What GUI direction do you like better? (look at attached picture in following post)

1 Boombastix
88%
2 Enlightenspeed
13%
3 submit your own idea
No votes

Total votes: 16
challism

21 Jan 2020

johnghadimi wrote:
21 Jan 2020
This is awesome Brian. Thank you for putting it out there. I definitely took advantage of the intro price. :D

One suggestion, at least for myself, would be to inform on what the current scale is and what scale it's being transformed to after the inversion. This way, it can end up being a great guide to provide supporting harmonies and chord structures around the newly created melody. My other alternative would be to feed the new melody into something like Scaler, and have it do the guidance. But would be super useful if that scale conversion was visible on the RE.

take care;
J.
I agree, there should be some kind of control over the scale and key. There could be an input scale/key and an output scale/key, which are both selected by the user. This could probably be done on the back of the device, to save room on the front. I don't think that would be something that would ever need to automated, so the back would work.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bes
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2020

thanks for the updates to the devices in the suite, i look forward to diving into some of those new options today
- Certified Reason expert

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
21 Jan 2020
johnghadimi wrote:
21 Jan 2020
This is awesome Brian. Thank you for putting it out there. I definitely took advantage of the intro price. :D

One suggestion, at least for myself, would be to inform on what the current scale is and what scale it's being transformed to after the inversion. This way, it can end up being a great guide to provide supporting harmonies and chord structures around the newly created melody. My other alternative would be to feed the new melody into something like Scaler, and have it do the guidance. But would be super useful if that scale conversion was visible on the RE.

take care;
J.
I agree, there should be some kind of control over the scale and key. There could be an input scale/key and an output scale/key, which are both selected by the user. This could probably be done on the back of the device, to save room on the front. I don't think that would be something that would ever need to automated, so the back would work.
Isn't faster/easier to just add Scales &Chord to the player stack, rather than making this device more complecated! S&C has those functions.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

johnghadimi

21 Jan 2020

@Boombastix last I checked/remember, scales & chords doesn't have the ability to recognize and display the current scale of what it's being fed. I love that player, but it's use is to convert to a scale. Unless I'm missing that feature!
Boombastix wrote:
21 Jan 2020
challism wrote:
21 Jan 2020

Isn't faster/easier to just add Scales &Chord to the player stack, rather than making this device more complecated! S&C has those functions.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2020

johnghadimi wrote:
21 Jan 2020
@Boombastix last I checked/remember, scales & chords doesn't have the ability to recognize and display the current scale of what it's being fed. I love that player, but it's use is to convert to a scale. Unless I'm missing that feature!
Boombastix wrote:
21 Jan 2020

Oh yeah, but basically nothing can. I have Scaler and sometimes i play a melody and feed Scaler with the notes and I get like 5-8 scale matches. I have to pick one depending on what my compositional idea is based on and if you start on a root or a 2nd or whatever. AFAIK no AI can really do that, you need to decide.

challism

22 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
21 Jan 2020
challism wrote:
21 Jan 2020

Yes that would be easier, but S&C doesn't transpose from one scale to another. That's kind of the idea I was pushing for. If it isn't included on this Player, that is exactly what I will have to do. Slap S&C below it in the chain and load the desired output scale mode so it will snap rogue notes to the scale I want. I've got to have control over the notes. I'm not the biggest fan of random, especially if it is throwing notes into the mix that are out of the scale. But random can definitely lead to some very happy accidents. I just want some control over how random it is.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

22 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Boombastix wrote:
21 Jan 2020

Yes that would be easier, but S&C doesn't transpose from one scale to another. That's kind of the idea I was pushing for. If it isn't included on this Player, that is exactly what I will have to do. Slap S&C below it in the chain and load the desired output scale mode so it will snap rogue notes to the scale I want. I've got to have control over the notes. I'm not the biggest fan of random, especially if it is throwing notes into the mix that are out of the scale. But random can definitely lead to some very happy accidents. I just want some control over how random it is.
FTW, use Chordbank, then you can switch between multiple destination scales with a single gesture 😊

Now, back to my sunbathing 😎

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

22 Jan 2020

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far folks, and of course the sales 😂

I’ve been reading all the suggestions with interest so far, and it is good to see so many different takes on the idea. Please keep the suggestions coming, either by PM or on this thread, and I’ll start to put up proper responses soon, possibly tomorrow along with my thoughts on each idea. I’m starting to get a good picture though, of the way that this is going to turn out, and I’m pretty happy 😃

Thanks again,
Brian

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
22 Jan 2020
Boombastix wrote:
21 Jan 2020

Isn't faster/easier to just add Scales &Chord to the player stack, rather than making this device more complicated! S&C has those functions.
If a transpose knob is added then you could do that in combination with S&C. Or maybe even more useful if a transpose sequencer lane is added to the other sequencer lanes I suggested in my above posts, then you can control when to transpose. I agree I'm not a fan of random notes that are out of scale, don't see the use of it. So this would probably be pretty good.

I know you can transpose with the TonicMint and Note Repeater units, but if it is made as a step sequencer on the front I think that opens up for new experimentation that was very difficult to do before (I'm not a fan of automating player setting from the reason sequencer lanes, you are forced to work in two windows and the automation isn't as intuitive there for this purpose).

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

23 Jan 2020

Hey folks,

Ok, I’m starting to go through the suggestions while in transit back to the cold and wet weather of Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 😂

First discussion regarding scales. The purpose of the device is to provide inspirational rearrangements of existing work, or occasionally a dissonant edge.

So if you have a riff which you want to take I. A radical new direction, then this device (already right now, but more so when finished) is the tool for you! Thus don’t be bothered so much about sticking with a particular scale as you will effectively get a new one. Best way to capture that scale is to use Chordbank, but you could also load it into S&C etc, albeit a bit more sluggishly - Chordbank is the fastest for this.

Next up we have the possibility of different options for what it does and how to really get control of them. I have a list of about 6 or 7 basic procedures that I like and will probably go about implementing. These are effectively just different ways of tweaking an output, but in a mathematical and predictable way- random methods basically just take it in the same direction as Note Alter in terms of output. So any more suggestions in terms of predictable tweaks are what we are really after.

More to follow as I start to get through them all. I should note that I probably won’t get through them all today due to flying etc.

Cheers,
Brian

johnghadimi

23 Jan 2020

I'm trying to find the manual for Negate. Searched high and low on the tonicmint site. Very curious to learn how it works. Where is the manual?!
Noiserunner wrote:
20 Jan 2020
It seems to be like the RE "Negate" from Tonicmint without knobs.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/negate/

Vil
RE Developer

24 Jan 2020

johnghadimi wrote:
23 Jan 2020
I'm trying to find the manual for Negate. Searched high and low on the tonicmint site. Very curious to learn how it works. Where is the manual?!
Noiserunner wrote:
20 Jan 2020
It seems to be like the RE "Negate" from Tonicmint without knobs.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/negate/
Please dont overthink the Negate.
Negate is quite simple. So there are no a deep manual for this, just a description in the shop and on the website.
Midi notes, behind the roof are just numbers between 0 and 127. Negate gives a minus sign for this numbers and shifts them. After the shift, the result could be in the valid 0-127 range. The shift value could be set by the Pos and Oct knobs.
Whats mean the center position between notes? Of ciurse, when your setup contains multiple insruments and you use some western scale, the result will not be ear friendly, when the center point is between two notes. You could understand this better, when you put a Note Monitor before and after the Negate and try this in mirror up or mirror down mode.
The primary goal of this device is just finding new melodies and harmonies from existing ones. I hope Negate do this job well. :)

I wrote a few line about Negate on diatonic scales, probably interesting here:
http://tonicmint.com/2020/01/negate-on-diatonic-scales/

Please correct me, if I made a mistake.

challism

24 Jan 2020

That's exactly what I did when I was trying to see what Melodic Inverter was doing.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

24 Jan 2020

Hi there,

It has come to our attention that the wrong version of the plugin was released and that it is currently functioning in an experimental mode which I was planning on releasing later called “Double Interval”. If you like it, don’t worry this mode will be available in the final build anyway, but I’m going to add a new build ASAP in order to have the advertised functionality in place for the current release.

Thanks to Johnghadimi for pointing this out to me, and apologies to everyone else for the inconvenience. Let this be a lesson to all of us... Don’t drink and code!!!

Many thanks,
Brian

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Hi there,

It has come to our attention that the wrong version of the plugin was released and that it is currently functioning in an experimental mode which I was planning on releasing later called “Double Interval”. If you like it, don’t worry this mode will be available in the final build anyway, but I’m going to add a new build ASAP in order to have the advertised functionality in place for the current release.

Thanks to Johnghadimi for pointing this out to me, and apologies to everyone else for the inconvenience. Let this be a lesson to all of us... Don’t drink and code!!!

Many thanks,
Brian
Hahahaha. I was wondering what was going on.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

24 Jan 2020

UPDATE:

New build submitted and accepted. Won't get through acceptance testing until Monday at the earliest as everyone at RS is at home for the weekend now, but it has been tested and it is working correctly now in the deployment version.

Thanks again for your patience,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

27 Jan 2020

Last edited by Enlightenspeed on 19 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

28 Jan 2020

Last edited by Enlightenspeed on 19 Feb 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Loque

28 Jan 2020

The book is now full :-D
Reason12, Win10

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

28 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
28 Jan 2020
The book is now full :-D
For "biggies and modes", yeah, pretty much.

For smaller things, like the little tweaky funcs, by all means make suggestions.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Jan 2020

When I suggested more modes and a "step sequencer" I had something like this in my mind:
The picture shows 32 steps, wondering if it is possible to make it 64 as that would be a full 4-bars of 16ths. VERY useful if that is possible.
Set step length 1/32, 1/16, and so on.
Have four lanes for modes in the "sequencer", but allow the letters "A-D" to be selectable per lane. Each letter is a unique mode, and you can make many more modes in the future. Name each mode something more useful than "A".
Have separate switches under each step for pass thru and mute.
Save the patch should be added.
The orange line is supposed to be a moving cursor, you can visualize by highlighting a step, that would be better actually, but something that allows the user to see where the sequence is.

Maybe add another "lane" for transpose, +/- 2 oct
and perhaps there should be a swing too, or not "perhaps", it is probably needed, lol.

And finally the sequence display should probably extend the full width, not like I show with text on its left side.
example.gif
example.gif (27.11 KiB) Viewed 5156 times

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Jan 2020

This is really great work btw, thanks :)

It might not end up being in this exact vein, but my own thinking really isn't far away from this at all. I need to investigate some of these possibilities to see how they work out in terms of number of variables etc vs my own current design. But this is great stuff.

Many thanks,
Brian
Boombastix wrote:
28 Jan 2020
When I suggested more modes and a "step sequencer" I had something like this in my mind:
The picture shows 32 steps, wondering if it is possible to make it 64 as that would be a full 4-bars of 16ths. VERY useful if that is possible.
Set step length 1/32, 1/16, and so on.
Have four lanes for modes in the "sequencer", but allow the letters "A-D" to be selectable per lane. Each letter is a unique mode, and you can make many more modes in the future. Name each mode something more useful than "A".
Have separate switches under each step for pass thru and mute.
Save the patch should be added.
The orange line is supposed to be a moving cursor, you can visualize by highlighting a step, that would be better actually, but something that allows the user to see where the sequence is.

Maybe add another "lane" for transpose, +/- 2 oct
and perhaps there should be a swing too, or not "perhaps", it is probably needed, lol.

And finally the sequence display should probably extend the full width, not like I show with text on its left side.

example.gif

RobBarnett

29 Jan 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
24 Jan 2020
UPDATE:

New build submitted and accepted. Won't get through acceptance testing until Monday at the earliest as everyone at RS is at home for the weekend now, but it has been tested and it is working correctly now in the deployment version.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Is the updated version availabe in the shop yet?
Still showing as V1.0.0.
I downloaded the trial yesterday and it didnt behave as expected (using the simple twinkle twinkle little star melody as described in the video)

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

29 Jan 2020

RobBarnett wrote:
29 Jan 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
24 Jan 2020
UPDATE:

Brian
Hi Brian,

Is the updated version availabe in the shop yet?
Still showing as V1.0.0.
I downloaded the trial yesterday and it didnt behave as expected (using the simple twinkle twinkle little star melody as described in the video)
Still waiting on RS, I’m afraid 😟

I’ll post up the minute that it is available, don’t worry about that 😊

Re8et
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
21 Jan 2020
I like the idea of being able to apply this when and where you want it, as I had posted above. Borrowing from our good friend RedRum, it could look something like this. Two rows because the top row could be to invert up and bottom row would be to invert down. If it's left blank, that note is left alone. And you could select the color you want the step to be, which would mean 0 (same), 1 or 2 octaves either up or down. Forgive my very crude image.

Untitled.png
Oooooohhhh :o :o :thumbs_up:

• Information