Enlightenspeed Melodic Inverter is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

What GUI direction do you like better? (look at attached picture in following post)

1 Boombastix
88%
2 Enlightenspeed
13%
3 submit your own idea
No votes

Total votes: 16
Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

example.gif
example.gif (179.92 KiB) Viewed 8834 times
Hi folks,

We've just released our next plugin to the shop, along with updates for all existing plugins.

The new plugin is called Melodic Inverter, and is based on the concept of Chromatic Inversion, a really cool trick for taking existing lines and changing the direction of step differences. So it starts with note 1 being used as a base, then the 2nd note, if it was originally two steps up, then in the Inverter output it will play two steps down, before moving on to next note, which if that was 5 steps up, then the output would be 5 steps down from there. It's simple stuff, but the results are amazing. The plugin will now add this functionality automatically, but it can also do it for polyphonic material, which is quite a departure from the traditional methods as far as I'm aware. For more information on this check out the links in the shop page.

You'll also be able to tell straight away that there are currently no front panel controls other than the on-off button. The reason for this is that this type of plugin is exceptionally rare, it's a first for RE and there is no VST or Pro-Tools version that I'm aware of either; the end result being that there are no "standard features" for the category. The normal way that we've done it for all the previous line processors, i.e. a note range or a velocity range to base transactions on, doesn't really seem appropriate for this procedure. So we've noted down a few ideas, and decided that it should be put to the general public just as the basic process for now, and open the floor to comments for additions.

So, anyone who has an idea for a feature after having had a play with it, then please feel free to drop us a PM, and we'll add it to the list. Once we have a list sorted out in about two weeks time, then we'll work out what's feasible and get to it - this is the main reason that there is nothing else in there just now, because it could take it down a path where user requests might not be possible, or at least significantly more difficult to design or possibly even too CPU taxing.

So that's Melodic Inverter, but we also released updates to all our other plugins too. Some of these changes are just bug fixes, but some new stuff is in there as well, notably:

The back panels have been redrawn and relabelled for Alter, Filter and Humanizer.

Humanizer now has a CV jack for Max Delay.

Filter now has a CV jack for switching between Pass & Reject modes.

Alter now has 2 probability dials, the first controls all events, but there is now a switch marked "Vel Split", and when this is activated the first dial is only controlling the probability of note alteration, while the 2nd controls velocity alteration. This means that Note Alter is much more flexible when it comes to drum manipulation, and cuts out the common situation of needing two units to get the job done. The 2nd probability dial also gets it's own CV jack.

Lastly, Chordbank's Scale Key function now has a much wider range, giving 4 octaves worth. They range from 2 octaves down (--C) to two octaves up (B+) for each scale in the bank.

Anyway, the introductory price will last for about two months or so, by which point it will be feature complete for v1. Anyone who gives us a good idea will, of course, get "free stuff", either from the existing catalogue or in the future if you already have everything :)

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,
Brian

Loque

20 Jan 2020

I am so kind and put some links and stuff in here :-)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -inverter/

Reason12, Win10

VariableX

20 Jan 2020

sounds fun!
id stick a direct link on your post mate ;)

ha! good stuff Loque!

Noiserunner

20 Jan 2020

It seems to be like the RE "Negate" from Tonicmint without knobs.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... on/negate/
(MacBook Pro 13", some soft- and hardware)

Loque

20 Jan 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Interesting point. I am curious how the Melodic Inverter knows which is the center point to go up/down from? Or maybe i just miss something...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Was the first thing I thought when I read the description but I’m at work (as usual) and haven’t had the chance to try it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

FS:
If this also did "negative harmony" it would be cool (and different from the basic inversion processors).
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
20 Jan 2020
FS:
If this also did "negative harmony" it would be cool (and different from the basic inversion processors).
Thought the same. And with an automatable button to switch between them.

This:

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
20 Jan 2020
I am so kind and put some links and stuff in here :-)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -inverter/

Awesome! Thanks Loque, I was a bit rushed setting up the OP as I was on a bus going through the mountains in Gran Canaria! A scary but worthwhile experience 😊

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Nope.

Negate sets a user defined point and either mirrors it or negates it. You should probably read the manual for Negate to get a hang on how it works.

Thanks for bringing this up though as it is important to me to avoid doing any features that Negate does.

Continuing this train of thought, it needs to be stated that feature suggestions taking this into Negate territory will not be considered. I have too much respect for TonicMint to start plagiarising their ideas. So please keep away from this 😊

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
20 Jan 2020
FS:
Hmmm...

Sounds cool 😎 I shall now try a bit of Google-Fu to find out more about what this means 😂

Cheers,
Brian

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
20 Jan 2020
selig wrote:
20 Jan 2020
FS:
Hmmm...

Sounds cool 😎 I shall now try a bit of Google-Fu to find out more about what this means 😂

Cheers,
Brian
I posted a video about what it means above. It’s pretty nicely and simply explained.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Hmmm...

Cheers,
Brian
I posted a video about what it means above. It’s pretty nicely and simply explained.
Wow! That’s awesome dude!

Ok, not for this device as it is faaaaar too complex to do within the scope of this particular device for now, but there IS something else in development which this would make a lovely addition to 😊

Many thanks,
Brian

challism

20 Jan 2020

Obviously this device needs to have a way to set the mode, scale and key. Unless it's using some really smart AI tricks to auto detect that info.

I see it having a probability knob and range/velocity knobs to match the other Enlightenspeed players.

Something that would be cool for this device is a way to dial in when you want the notes to invert (sort of a programmable on/off switch). Say you have a track that is 4/4, what if you could make this device only alter the notes that are on the 4th beat? Or maybe only the up beats, or every other up beat. Or maybe only alter every 3rd 16th note, etc. I wonder if having something similar to a modulation matrix/table with drop down options would work for this, so you could enter multiple commands telling the device which notes to alter, the range, the probability of each occurrence to alter.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

SpeculationStudios

20 Jan 2020

Regarding some of the earlier posts, this actually appears to be doing a different thing than the (also cool) Tonicmint Negate device.
This is not mirroring exactly.
Some time back I was looking for a device (similar to Tonicment Negate) device that would do "chromatic inversion" of a melody.
The video by this guitar instructor explains it much better than I could.

Basically, you are reversing the direction of the interval steps between notes. Up 3 half steps becomes down 3 half steps, followed by down a half step instead of up a half step, etc. That is a little different from mirroring if the direction of the interval steps go in more than one direction.
*At least I think that's what this device is for. I haven't look at it much or tried it out yet. But it looks cool and I don't know of a rack extension or VST that does real chromatic inversion (negative melody).

SpeculationStudios

20 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Obviously this device needs to have a way to set the mode, scale and key. Unless it's using some really smart AI tricks to auto detect that info.

I see it having a probability knob and range/velocity knobs to match the other Enlightenspeed players.

Something that would be cool for this device is a way to dial in when you want the notes to invert (sort of a programmable on/off switch). Say you have a track that is 4/4, what if you could make this device only alter the notes that are on the 4th beat? Or maybe only the up beats, or every other up beat. Or maybe only alter every 3rd 16th note, etc. I wonder if having something similar to a modulation matrix/table with drop down options would work for this, so you could enter multiple commands telling the device which notes to alter, the range, the probability of each occurrence to alter.
If this does what I think it does, its output (and its scale or mode) is meant to be a specific pattern based on inverting the intervals between notes. You could then change that key, but changing the scale would miss the point of the device. It's not really meant to be probabilistic either.

challism

20 Jan 2020

SpeculationStudios wrote:
20 Jan 2020
challism wrote:
20 Jan 2020

If this does what I think it does, its output (and its scale or mode) is meant to be a specific pattern based on inverting the intervals between notes. You could then change that key, but changing the scale would miss the point of the device. It's not really meant to be probabilistic either.
So you want it generating notes that are outside of the scale? And you want it to do that 100% of the time?

SpeculationStudios

20 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
20 Jan 2020
20 Jan 2020

So you want it generating notes that are outside of the scale? And you want it to do that 100% of the time?
It's not so much what I "want" its just what chromatic inversion of a melody is. The results are a direct result of the interval steps in the first melody, and its going to yield specific intervals. Different scales have different patterns of intervals. You could change the key of your scale after its down, and maybe having that built in would be useful. But if you change to a scale with different intervals, you wouldn't be doing what I *think* this device is designed to do. I may be wrong about everything (it wouldn't be the first time).

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

20 Jan 2020
Regarding some of the earlier posts, this actually appears to be doing a different thing than the (also cool) Tonicmint Negate device.
This is not mirroring exactly.
Some time back I was looking for a device (similar to Tonicment Negate) device that would do "chromatic inversion" of a melody.
The video by this guitar instructor explains it much better than I could.

Basically, you are reversing the direction of the interval steps between notes. Up 3 half steps becomes down 3 half steps, followed by down a half step instead of up a half step, etc. That is a little different from mirroring if the direction of the interval steps go in more than one direction.
*At least I think that's what this device is for. I haven't look at it much or tried it out yet. But it looks cool and I don't know of a rack extension or VST that does real chromatic inversion (negative melody).
Yup.

This is precisely what this device is designed for 😊

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

A feature that can be very useful is a "sequencer/step" modulation. Ie, a display that covers 8 bar and let's you switch on/off the mirror function with a 16th resolution. That way I can control where and when the mirroring takes place when you just want to change up the last bar, or the last 1/4 bar of each bar. An infinite increase of new melodies can be created. Think it would be good if you can select number of 16th steps and also an offset so you can start the effect from bar 4 insured of bar 1. Something like that...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Also different modes.
Affect every second more.
Affect every 4th note
Do offset down, then offset up and so on. If original Melody is +7, +2, then it would be -7, +2.

Perhaps two settings
one for offset modes
Another for which note is affected.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Iggster

21 Jan 2020

+1 For the last post...

I would suggest there is some sort of grid/button arrangement added so you have total control on what's inverted and what isn't at each step.

challism

21 Jan 2020

I like the idea of being able to apply this when and where you want it, as I had posted above. Borrowing from our good friend RedRum, it could look something like this. Two rows because the top row could be to invert up and bottom row would be to invert down. If it's left blank, that note is left alone. And you could select the color you want the step to be, which would mean 0 (same), 1 or 2 octaves either up or down. Forgive my very crude image.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (35.38 KiB) Viewed 9378 times

johnghadimi

21 Jan 2020

This is awesome Brian. Thank you for putting it out there. I definitely took advantage of the intro price. :D

One suggestion, at least for myself, would be to inform on what the current scale is and what scale it's being transformed to after the inversion. This way, it can end up being a great guide to provide supporting harmonies and chord structures around the newly created melody. My other alternative would be to feed the new melody into something like Scaler, and have it do the guidance. But would be super useful if that scale conversion was visible on the RE.

take care;
J.

Enlightenspeed wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Hi folks,

We've just released our next plugin to the shop, along with updates for all existing plugins.

The new plugin is called Melodic Inverter, and is based on the concept of Chromatic Inversion, a really cool trick for taking existing lines and changing the direction of step differences. So it starts with note 1 being used as a base, then the 2nd note, if it was originally two steps up, then in the Inverter output it will play two steps down, before moving on to next note, which if that was 5 steps up, then the output would be 5 steps down from there. It's simple stuff, but the results are amazing. The plugin will now add this functionality automatically, but it can also do it for polyphonic material, which is quite a departure from the traditional methods as far as I'm aware. For more information on this check out the links in the shop page.

You'll also be able to tell straight away that there are currently no front panel controls other than the on-off button. The reason for this is that this type of plugin is exceptionally rare, it's a first for RE and there is no VST or Pro-Tools version that I'm aware of either; the end result being that there are no "standard features" for the category. The normal way that we've done it for all the previous line processors, i.e. a note range or a velocity range to base transactions on, doesn't really seem appropriate for this procedure. So we've noted down a few ideas, and decided that it should be put to the general public just as the basic process for now, and open the floor to comments for additions.

So, anyone who has an idea for a feature after having had a play with it, then please feel free to drop us a PM, and we'll add it to the list. Once we have a list sorted out in about two weeks time, then we'll work out what's feasible and get to it - this is the main reason that there is nothing else in there just now, because it could take it down a path where user requests might not be possible, or at least significantly more difficult to design or possibly even too CPU taxing.

So that's Melodic Inverter, but we also released updates to all our other plugins too. Some of these changes are just bug fixes, but some new stuff is in there as well, notably:

The back panels have been redrawn and relabelled for Alter, Filter and Humanizer.

Humanizer now has a CV jack for Max Delay.

Filter now has a CV jack for switching between Pass & Reject modes.

Alter now has 2 probability dials, the first controls all events, but there is now a switch marked "Vel Split", and when this is activated the first dial is only controlling the probability of note alteration, while the 2nd controls velocity alteration. This means that Note Alter is much more flexible when it comes to drum manipulation, and cuts out the common situation of needing two units to get the job done. The 2nd probability dial also gets it's own CV jack.

Lastly, Chordbank's Scale Key function now has a much wider range, giving 4 octaves worth. They range from 2 octaves down (--C) to two octaves up (B+) for each scale in the bank.

Anyway, the introductory price will last for about two months or so, by which point it will be feature complete for v1. Anyone who gives us a good idea will, of course, get "free stuff", either from the existing catalogue or in the future if you already have everything :)

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,
Brian

sofine

21 Jan 2020

BTW, this is also fun to switch on and off with drum sequencers!

• Information