ABL3.2.2 RE Update?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Neo

21 Jan 2020

Some of us TB-303 kids are still stuck on ABL3.1.1
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -bassline/

I wonder if there's an update in our distant future given the ABL 3.2.2 Updates.
Before you ask Ive already messaged AudioRealism.

I'm still buying REs but this s*&t still irritates.
So i don't sound like im all hate, I do love the Alpha Juno ReDominator RE.
Attachments
_2147689_orig.png
_2147689_orig.png (440.12 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
_2135332_orig.png
_2135332_orig.png (414.78 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Loque

21 Jan 2020

AFAIR the dev wont update the RE. I have my middle finger for his VST.
Reason12, Win10

Rackman

21 Jan 2020

This is why buying REs makes no sense. Unless they only exist as REs.

FWIW you can crossgrade here for a stupid price: https://www.audiorealism.se/abl3-re-cross-grade.html

Loque

21 Jan 2020

Rackman wrote:
21 Jan 2020
FWIW you can crossgrade here for a stupid price: https://www.audiorealism.se/abl3-re-cross-grade.html
Yes, stupid price... For a bit more i get a trillion more stuff from Rob Papen or other companies in a crossgrade.
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

21 Jan 2020

A stupid price would be €10. €55 is "basically what you paid for the RE, again, for almost the same device".

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2020

EdGrip wrote:
21 Jan 2020
A stupid price would be €10. €55 is "basically what you paid for the RE, again, for almost the same device".
I think when they said a stupid price they meant like the stupid price in the stupid blue softube RE :).
i.e waaaay too much.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

RoryM0

21 Jan 2020

Back in July 2018 the developer said the 3.2 engine improvements would be making their way to the RE, but sadly it seems they may have changed their minds after all this time with no update.

https://twitter.com/audiorealism/status ... 64545?s=20

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2020

This is one of the reasons why I'm happier with VST where possible. Either Devs pull up stumps and remove REs entirely, or they just turn into an abandonware graveyard (even when, like in this case, the VSTs still get updates). 90% of new REs these days just seem to be small CV gadgets, usually with an ugly UI, aimed mostly for the hardcore enthusiast.

joeyluck

21 Jan 2020

Some wrong assumptions being made here. Yes, there is a plan to update the RE, but Mike simply has quite the backlog at the moment.

RoryM0

21 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
21 Jan 2020
Some wrong assumptions being made here. Yes, there is a plan to update the RE, but Mike simply has quite the backlog at the moment.
Well that's pretty awesome news :)

Neo

21 Jan 2020

Cheers gents. Thanks for the replies and link.
Euro Converted for the cross upgrade is around AU$90 here.

Bumbum

24 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
21 Jan 2020
L I T! this news made my day :o :thumbs_up:

adfielding

24 Jan 2020

Steedus wrote:
21 Jan 2020
This is one of the reasons why I'm happier with VST where possible. Either Devs pull up stumps and remove REs entirely, or they just turn into an abandonware graveyard (even when, like in this case, the VSTs still get updates). 90% of new REs these days just seem to be small CV gadgets, usually with an ugly UI, aimed mostly for the hardcore enthusiast.
Yeah, this is a bit of a peeve of mine. It's a bit of a double edged sword as REs remain perfectly usable regardless of whether they receive updates or not, but some REs are left behind by their VST counterparts. Case in point: I recently picked up the newest Synth Rig and while I really like the sound of the Spire RE, programming it is... not pleasant. I'd love to see an update just to provide some UI tweaks, and despite that I've still been using it a bunch. I guess it's cheaper for a reason, but I always prefer using REs if there's an option.

Really glad to hear that's not the case with ABL3 though! Good on 'em :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Jan 2020

This year? Next year?
Noticed AbL3 was in the popular right now category. Have lots of people bought it the last few days or is it just because RE sales on other devices have reduced I wonder.
Anyway, I own both ABL2 and 3 REs and also that other semi modular Bassline VST thing he’s got. Would be nice with an update. (Especially not one that’s going to cost another €55)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

24 Jan 2020

Just to be clear, I don't believe it's been decided what all the RE update will entail. As far as I know, it will include the engine update and the new bass boost feature.

And as a reminder, ABL3 was released as a RE first in May 2015. ABL3 VST wasn't released until a year later. Then users of ABL3 RE received the big update following that in 2017; which included an audio engine update, the Grid and advanced Random edit modes, built-in distortion, and hipass and gate trim automation.

The VST and AU currently don't have the built-in distortion and the VST/AU plugins also don't have the latest engine yet. Honestly, there isn't a whole lot that separates the two at this point really. I'd love it if the sliders in Random edit mode of the RE could be remoteable/automated, but that's not a huge deal to me really.

I find features like the wave transcribing to be superfluous and not worth the effort for the dev...if it were even possible for the RE. In Reason you can do Audio to MIDI, but also, you can export ".repatch" files from the ABL3 VST to load into the ABL3 RE. And you can do that of course if you own the VST, but also while in demo mode ;) So if you're someone who wants to play with that feature and transcribe wave files to ABL3 lines to use with the RE, give it a try that way. I think it's a fun feature, but only something I would use once in a blue moon.

It sounds like there are some fixes needed for the VST/AU first, then the RE is on deck. And it may involve some reorganization of the UI to make things fit.

Loque

24 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jan 2020
I find features like the wave transcribing to be superfluous and not worth the effort for the dev...if it were even possible for the RE. In Reason you can do Audio to MIDI, but also, you can export ".repatch" files from the ABL3 VST to load into the ABL3 RE. And you can do that of course if you own the VST, but also while in demo mode ;) So if you're someone who wants to play with that feature and transcribe wave files to ABL3 lines to use with the RE, give it a try that way. I think it's a fun feature, but only something I would use once in a blue moon.
Since Reason allows sample loading, the sample->sequence should be possible. From there you can save it to MIDI via a Player. The argument back than was, it was not possible with Reason, which has changed in the meantime.
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

24 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
24 Jan 2020
joeyluck wrote:
24 Jan 2020
Since Reason allows sample loading, the sample->sequence should be possible. From there you can save it to MIDI via a Player. The argument back than was, it was not possible with Reason, which has changed in the meantime.
Well if the goal is to get it to MIDI in the sequencer, I think it might be best then to just use Reason's Audio to MIDI feature. I was just mentioning that you can export .repatch from the VST. That said, I don't see this as a necessary feature for the RE. Just my opinion.

Neo

30 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jan 2020

It sounds like there are some fixes needed for the VST/AU first, then the RE is on deck. And it may involve some reorganization of the UI to make things fit.
Fair enough. - Cheers all.

DJMaytag

10 Feb 2020

I’m on the “team” of beta testers for ABL since the ABL3 VST was announced. I’ve been in Mike’s ear about continuing RE development, and he hasn’t ruled it out like some others have. He’s busy AF with other stuff, and even VST development/updates for ABL3 were quite slow at times for various reasons (sone bugs/issues we found, and Mike being very meticulous about the quality of what he’s putting out).

I haven’t put anything out there to him lately, but I’ve thing I’ve put in his ear is a stand-alone 303-sequencer as a player, to control other synths with a 303 style patterns. That could be pretty amazing, IMHO. :)

dioxide

10 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
10 Feb 2020
I haven’t put anything out there to him lately, but I’ve thing I’ve put in his ear is a stand-alone 303-sequencer as a player, to control other synths with a 303 style patterns. That could be pretty amazing, IMHO. :)
I agree this would be great. I sometimes use one ABL3 to play another ABL3 via CV Gate, which means you can browse patterns without the synth sound changing.

I'd like this to be fully Remoteable also. ABL3 RE doesn't currently have any way to program from a controller.

Bixbambi

11 Feb 2020

Perhaps irrelevant, but it excites the excellent Refill "Transisthor Bass and Rhythm" (TB-303, TR-606 / DR-110, TR-808 and TR-909)
Which can be changed as desired. With the notes in the piano roll.
Personally, I use it very often. Much more than ABL3 under Reason.
I advise you to read this:

V1.0
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7368945&hilit=odarmonix

V2.0
viewtopic.php?t=7495887

Shop:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/prod ... nd-rhythm/

Here my Démo :
[soundcloud][/soundcloud]

Cheesy Monkey

10 May 2020

Have they removed the distortion feature on the 3.2.2 update?

joeyluck

10 May 2020

Cheesy Monkey wrote:
10 May 2020
Have they removed the distortion feature on the 3.2.2 update?
The initial release of ABL3 didn't have distortion in any formats. The ABL3.1 update of the RE added the feature. The VST version of ABL3 has never had it, so perhaps that is what you are referring to?

• Information