Guys, how do you make sure that your .wav file has all of the right metadata?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
webpro

20 Jan 2020

Ex:
Name of the song
Band name
Date
Copyright

etc...

In fact, can we do this in Reason?

Right now if i load the song in "Groove", it says unknown artist. I'm wondering if there;s a universal tool to make sure everything's in place no matter what player you use.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Jan 2020

webpro wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Ex:
Name of the song
Band name
Date
Copyright

etc...

In fact, can we do this in Reason?

Right now if i load the song in "Groove", it says unknown artist. I'm wondering if there;s a universal tool to make sure everything's in place no matter what player you use.
AFAIK, the wave format cannot contain metadata. You need to convert it to a different format for that. They are just audio information.

orthodox
RE Developer

20 Jan 2020

I don't know if it can be done in Reason. Audition and Audacity can edit WAV metadata (the RIFF INFO chunk). In Audition you open Metadata window, RIFF tab.
Besides, you can attach an ID3 tag to almost any audio file format.

I mean, who knows which metadata format your "Groove" supports. It may be RIFF INFO or ID3 or both.

pushedbutton

20 Jan 2020

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Here ya go buddy.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

webpro

21 Jan 2020

wOAHHHH thanks for the link! Go check it out guys. It's great!

webpro

21 Jan 2020

Well what i am trying to do is make sure that anyone who downloads
my songs and plays them on their favorite music player, do see the name of the song and the artist name.
How can i achieve that? Can mp3tag.de help me with this? Or it will work on my PC only.
Sorry for being so naive...(getting old i guess hahahahah)

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Jan 2020

webpro wrote:
21 Jan 2020
Well what i am trying to do is make sure that anyone who downloads
my songs and plays them on their favorite music player, do see the name of the song and the artist name.
How can i achieve that? Can mp3tag.de help me with this? Or it will work on my PC only.
Sorry for being so naive...(getting old i guess hahahahah)
WAV format is a hard case, no guarantee that the metadata will be read by every player, though many will read ID3 tags. Any player is sure to read MP3 files with ID3 tags. If you need a lossless format, there is also FLAC, which has its own metadata format that you can edit with Mp3Tag program.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

22 Jan 2020

AIFF has this capability you're after, found this out when we purchased a bunch of WAVs and a 'rogue' AIFF for a dj set from Beatport, then found that the AIFF included the artwork data and everything else - so if you're going down the publishing route with info in the meta data go AIFF for what it's worth

WAV you can add in, but when you recheck the WAV seems to 'ignore' this info again (unless a very specific WAV container can keep the full data, which might make it more 'non-compliant' for regular usage.. maybe, * speculation *)

webpro

23 Jan 2020

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
22 Jan 2020
AIFF has this capability you're after, found this out when we purchased a bunch of WAVs and a 'rogue' AIFF for a dj set from Beatport, then found that the AIFF included the artwork data and everything else - so if you're going down the publishing route with info in the meta data go AIFF for what it's worth

WAV you can add in, but when you recheck the WAV seems to 'ignore' this info again (unless a very specific WAV container can keep the full data, which might make it more 'non-compliant' for regular usage.. maybe, * speculation *)
Haaaa i see. So i will output AIFF files instead of wav
Thanks

• Information