Crackling Kick

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nowhk

20 Jan 2020

Hi everybody,

do you have idea how to recreate this kind of "crackling" kick?
scricchiolii.zip
(80.63 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
I don't mean the "high frequencies" kick, but the layer at the beginning.
A sort of farting/rippling sound.

Not sure how to achieve it.
Any idea?

Thanks

Loque

20 Jan 2020

Waveshaper, Distortion, Overdrive...maybe dynamic. Since those algorithms depend on the input and its dynamics, you may shape that too. An EQ can often help to shape the final distortion/overdrive signal. Sometimes parallel processing is needed.

I would start with a high pitched, loud and fast decaying (fast decay on pitch and amp) kick.
Reason12, Win10

Nowhk

20 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Waveshaper, Distortion, Overdrive...maybe dynamic. Since those algorithms depend on the input and its dynamics, you may shape that too. An EQ can often help to shape the final distortion/overdrive signal. Sometimes parallel processing is needed.

I would start with a high pitched, loud and fast decaying (fast decay on pitch and amp) kick.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, of course its a matter of distortion :) I've tried tons of plugins/fxs, but nothing really become like that crank sound :?
Note: its generated by a VST.

Loque

20 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Loque wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, of course its a matter of distortion :) I've tried tons of plugins/fxs, but nothing really become like that crank sound :?
Note: its generated by a VST.
Maybe this can help a bit:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7514231
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Hi everybody,

scricchiolii.zip

Any idea?

Thanks
Sorta?(see attachment)

The example you showed doesn't remind me of a kick :P
Attachments
ripple.zip
(549.11 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Nowhk

20 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Hi everybody,

scricchiolii.zip

Any idea?

Thanks
Sorta?(see attachment)

Thanks for the try!
But not, I'm not looking for that part of sound.
That's a simple high-freq-content with pitch/amp decay.

The part I'm looking for is the "clicking" part in the beginning. It seems a sort of aggressive fast-vibrato...
Not sure how to explain it hehe

Loque

20 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Sorta?(see attachment)

Thanks for the try!

The part I'm looking for is the "clicking" part in the beginning. It seems a sort of aggressive fast-vibrato...
Such "vibratos" comes from overdriven signals. The overdrive just creates additional harmonics, which often sounds like a longer decaying/sustaining sound. So its just the click/decay of the kick which is creating this "vibrato" in combination with a distortion-like device.

Because i did not heard much low end, i speculate its a high pitch and short decay for this pitch envelope which is also very loud and maybe its parallelprocessed with a HPF. Just speculation ofc. This needs some experiments to recreate exactly.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Sorta?(see attachment)

Thanks for the try!

Oh, well that sound is even easier :D its frequency modulation with a fast decay env with overdrive/dist

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

I'll make the sound and send you the project when I'm off work

Nowhk

20 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Nice :puf_smile: Can't wait your attempt! Hope we are talking about the same stuff hehe

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Nice :puf_smile: Can't wait your attempt! Hope we are talking about the same stuff hehe
I guess your wording is confusing me a little.

Are you talking about this part then?
2.zip
(57.58 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Once I know, I can get it more accurate. Looking at the waveform it looks like a quantization effect going on. Nothing is smooth and it's all huge steps. Will experiment more once I hear back from you

Nowhk

20 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Are you talking about this part then?2.zip

Once I know, I can get it more accurate. Looking at the waveform it looks like a quantization effect going on. Nothing is smooth and it's all huge steps. Will experiment more once I hear back from you
Nope! I don't really talk about "the sound itself". More than the clicking effect that get out of my speakers while playing the clip.
Here I've isolated only the "scratching" sound:
scricchiolii_2.zip
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Hope it is more noticeable? :puf_smile:

Nowhk

20 Jan 2020

Here's a better example:
scricchiolii_relevant spectrum 600-20k.zip
(98.09 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
I've EQ HP at 600 and LP at 20K. I've isolated the "crank" sound.

If I layer this with a proper kick, I got some fancy effects.
So, what I'm looking for is that crank part :twisted:

Any clues?

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Are you talking about this part then?2.zip

Nope! I don't really talk about "the sound itself". More than the clicking effect that get out of my speakers while playing the clip.

scricchiolii_2.zip
Gotcha, that sounds and looks like it's got really low bit depth and I think that is actually the overall effect you are after here. I mean, it's gotta be something to do with that to create that clicking..

So what are you doing with this sample? Layering on top of a kick?

Nowhk

21 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020
Nowhk wrote:
20 Jan 2020

scricchiolii_2.zip
Gotcha, that sounds and looks like it's got really low bit depth and I think that is actually the overall effect you are after here. I mean, it's gotta be something to do with that to create that clicking..

Yes, the idea is to layer with other kicks. But first, I need to understand how to create these kind of clicking :puf_smile:
Do you have any idea?

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
21 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Jan 2020

Yes, the idea is to layer with other kicks. But first, I need to understand how to create these kind of clicking :puf_smile:
Do you have any idea?
In the sample you have, I am fairly sure that the clicking is artifacts from a quantizer (resampler does this stuff) You're just going to have to experiment with that and work out your own version of it.

See the random spikes? Those add clicks on top of the clicks from the square type waveform, it makes that clicking pattern you hear. Like I said, I believe it's artifacts from a resampler/quantizer. I'm still not sure why you need this exact sound so bad though,
Although your example doesn't sound very pleasant to me, I'm curious to hear what you are using it for? I mean do you have an audio example?

Nowhk

21 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2020
This seems a nice wave :) How do you make it? Square + pwm (I think) + what? Those spikes are added by what? Any example?
aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2020
Although your example doesn't sound very pleasant to me, I'm curious to hear what you are using it for? I mean do you have an audio example?
Long story :P I'm making noise music, and I'm experimenting somethings new hehe

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
21 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2020
This seems a nice wave :) How do you make it? Square + pwm (I think) + what? Those spikes are added by what? Any example?
aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2020
I'm getting close results with resampler and decitmort2. Do you have these? Any quantizer effects?

Nowhk

22 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2020
Nowhk wrote:
21 Jan 2020

I'm getting close results with resampler and decitmort2. Do you have these? Any quantizer effects?
Yes, but those spikes looks very "random" and not periodic. Modulation? Can you share the project? Thanks :)

Nowhk

23 Jan 2020

@aeox can you? :P Please don't abandon me haha

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
22 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2020

Yes, but those spikes looks very "random" and not periodic. Modulation? Can you share the project? Thanks :)
Yea they are random because it's from when you lower the bit depth with a quantizer, and lower the dithering the right amount it starts to have these artifacts that are random.

If you have something like decimort2, then it needs to run through the right kind of distortion after that. because it's very processed, i'm never going to get it exactly how that sounds. You just need to experiment and come up with your own version of it. :thumbs_up:

Something that might help to achieve that "beating" clicking sound that is hitting the distortion, is something detuned. I did get results that I felt were close enough, but you are after a particular sound and you are the one to judge when it sounds right.

That's all i've got man, good luck on getting the sound you want :)

Nowhk

23 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
23 Jan 2020
Nowhk wrote:
22 Jan 2020

Yea they are random because it's from when you lower the bit depth with a quantizer, and lower the dithering the right amount it starts to have these artifacts that are random.

If you have something like decimort2, then it needs to run through the right kind of distortion after that. because it's very processed, i'm never going to get it exactly how that sounds. You just need to experiment and come up with your own version of it. :thumbs_up:

Something that might help to achieve that "beating" clicking sound that is hitting the distortion, is something detuned. I did get results that I felt were close enough, but you are after a particular sound and you are the one to judge when it sounds right.

Thanks. Do you have the reason project of your own experiment? With Decimort? So I can just from it, getting the sample you use on resampler (a square tune?).

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2020

Nowhk wrote:
23 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
23 Jan 2020

Thanks. Do you have the reason project of your own experiment? With Decimort? So I can just from it, getting the sample you use on resampler (a square tune?).
Sorry for the delayed response. Ya, i'll put something together for you

StrokerX

27 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
21 Jan 2020
Nowhk wrote:
21 Jan 2020

Do you have any idea?
In the sample you have, I am fairly sure that the clicking is artifacts from a quantizer (resampler does this stuff) You're just going to have to experiment with that and work out your own version of it.

See the random spikes? Those add clicks on top of the clicks from the square type waveform, it makes that clicking pattern you hear. Like I said, I believe it's artifacts from a resampler/quantizer. I'm still not sure why you need this exact sound so bad though,
Agreed. But... to me sounds like 3-4 Maelstroms in a combo...some metal....squares...maybe even an alligator on just the highs of one maelstrom? Wish I could be more helpful but I think starting with that might get you somewhere...

Nowhk

29 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
27 Jan 2020
Nowhk wrote:
23 Jan 2020

Sorry for the delayed response. Ya, i'll put something together for you
Awesome :) Can't wait to hear your experiments :D

• Information