SIDMaster Synth RE in shop.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2020

Emulates Commodore 64 chip apparently

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sidmaster/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

17 Jan 2020

Does it has a backside?
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
17 Jan 2020
Does it has a backside?
Wondered that too. Hope it’s not as ugly as the frontside.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

17 Jan 2020

From the manual...
sid.jpg
sid.jpg (18.17 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
Reason12, Win10

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jan 2020

At least it's gray.

Rackman

17 Jan 2020

I love how the screenshots are pixelated like a C64 screen.

Oh wait. That's just the way all REs look in Reason.

esselfortium

17 Jan 2020

Rackman wrote:
17 Jan 2020

Yeah, I remember running my Commodore 64 at 1080p, too.

What?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2020

Rackman wrote:
17 Jan 2020

Step away from the screen, you are too close :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2020

Maybe not the prettiest RE but I'll give it a shot.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2020

Doesn’t this one do the same and more?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... p64-synth/

Also just as an aside, I think Jiggery-Pokery’s free ZX refill has Commodore 64 patches as well.

http://www.jiggery-pokery.com/free.html
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Doesn’t this one do the same and more?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... p64-synth/

Also just as an aside, I think Jiggery-Pokery’s free ZX refill has Commodore 64 patches as well.

http://www.jiggery-pokery.com/free.html
Chip64 is nice. I have it. But it's pretty buggy unfortunately.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2020

Tried it out briefly just now. Sounds pretty nice actually. It doesn't sound anything like Chip64 in case someone wonders. It's got a character of its own.
Found some really cool bass sounds when I added some distortion and Disperser.
Might get it. We'll see. I wish there was a few more presets.
I did stumble upon a bug one time that made the synth stop working.

Ahornberg

18 Jan 2020

Has anyone compared this to Chip64 Synth by Ochen K. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... p64-synth/ or INSIDOUS for NI Reaktor VST?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2020

Ahornberg wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Has anyone compared this to Chip64 Synth by Ochen K. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... p64-synth/ or INSIDOUS for NI Reaktor VST?

Hahahaha. Read the comments above yours.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Proboscis

18 Jan 2020

This RE looks pretty terrible. I don't know why developers don't reach out to this community to get a hand with their GUI designs, maybe offer 8x the purchase price for someone to work up a design. Of course this doesn't represent what you would pay a designer, but in such a small market perhaps someone might like to take this on to add to their portfolio, and receive a small compensation for their efforts. That said, the expectation should not be that someone does this for free, since its a product that is going to generate income for the developer.

orthodox
RE Developer

18 Jan 2020

Proboscis wrote:
18 Jan 2020
This RE looks pretty terrible. I don't know why developers don't reach out to this community to get a hand with their GUI designs, maybe offer 8x the purchase price for someone to work up a design. Of course this doesn't represent what you would pay a designer, but in such a small market perhaps someone might like to take this on to add to their portfolio, and receive a small compensation for their efforts. That said, the expectation should not be that someone does this for free, since its a product that is going to generate income for the developer.
I don't think that a bad GUI design is that much of a problem. There are certain acceptance requirements by Props, so they serve as a filter. What gets passed is tolerable. On the other hand, working on a RE with a remote designer is rather difficult to coordinate. Also, he/she should register as a developer at Props to get the Tools. I do the design work myself and find the result satisfactory.
I think there will always be good and bad designs.

MannequinRaces

19 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Also, he/she should register as a developer at Props to get the Tools. I do the design work myself and find the result satisfactory.
What are you even talking about, lolololol?!?!?! You have to register as a developer with Reason Studios to have access to the developer tools. How do you think a RE is made?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
19 Jan 2020
orthodox wrote:
18 Jan 2020
Also, he/she should register as a developer at Props to get the Tools. I do the design work myself and find the result satisfactory.
What are you even talking about, lolololol?!?!?! You have to register as a developer with Reason Studios to have access to the developer tools. How do you think a RE is made?
I think Orthodox meant that if an RE developer was to have a remote designer for the GUI then the designer would also need to download the dev. tools.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

19 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 Jan 2020
MannequinRaces wrote:
19 Jan 2020

I think Orthodox meant that if an RE developer was to have a remote designer for the GUI then the designer would also need to download the dev. tools.
Okay, that makes more sense... my apologies Orthodox.

orthodox
RE Developer

19 Jan 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
19 Jan 2020
MrFigg wrote:
19 Jan 2020
Okay, that makes more sense... my apologies Orthodox.
Yeah, the designer tools, I meant. Because there is ... well, I'm not telling you what ;)

Proboscis

19 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
18 Jan 2020
I don't think that a bad GUI design is that much of a problem. There are certain acceptance requirements by Props, so they serve as a filter. What gets passed is tolerable. On the other hand, working on a RE with a remote designer is rather difficult to coordinate. Also, he/she should register as a developer at Props to get the Tools. I do the design work myself and find the result satisfactory.
The biggest issue I see time & time again is that people who are great coders (of anything - not RE related) are very often terrible designers. Design is a skill that most people do not possess (as too is coding). Not sure why you think it's difficult to co-ordinate.... I've done a lot of work with designers, where I'll give them a brief, write the copy, and often give a rough layout of whatever the product is in photos, or sometimes video if assembly is required, and they will come up with illustrations (both technical & non technical), color schemes and other 'on brand' elements that represent the clients' style guidelines. It's rare to even go past one revision before its approved as completed. And that's a team that I've never met, never spoken to and many thousands of miles away in another country. The key to a successful design job is to be clear & concise in your requirements, but also being able to 'let go' and put trust in their artistic direction, for this is their professional skill, not mine.

I'm not sure why a designer of RE/VST needs developer access, their job is to provide the assets in the required format, then it's back to the developer to put it all together as a usable device. I've seen the 2D & 3D assets made available to RE developers, and thought they were mostly pretty bad.

Not too certain on Propellerheads acceptance requirements on GUI, as there are some shockers in the store. I seem to recall a few that even have spelling mistakes.

Anyway, I'm only taking the time here to point out that there are options available for RE developers, they do not have to release an otherwise excellent product that is let down by a butt ugly GUI. And that there may be people on this very forum that know the format as Reason users. There was someone called Nirude or something similar sounding who looks promising, also a wiz at 3D renders of rack instruments, and another whose name I dont recall, but he/she gave a few of Jiggery Pokery's devices a visual overhaul.

Whether we see the importance of a nice looking GUI or not, I firmly believe that a great design will make for considerably more sales.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2020

Proboscis wrote:
19 Jan 2020

Whether we see the importance of a nice looking GUI or not, I firmly believe that a great design will make for considerably more sales.
Sadly I am one of those people who's purchase can be influenced by a nice GUI...makes me look twice at a device in any case. I know there's a number of GUI snobs here on RT who'd probably back me up :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

fullforce

23 Jan 2020

esselfortium wrote:
17 Jan 2020
Rackman wrote:
17 Jan 2020

Yeah, I remember running my Commodore 64 at 1080p, too.

What?
Lol!

I bought it. Was hoping to get into beta but didn't. Don't care, bought it.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

23 Jan 2020

Ok just downloaded. This is BAD ASS
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

ravasb

24 Jan 2020

I might just buy this to support an RE developer. There seem to be fewer and fewer of them.

• Information