How: Selig Gain on every track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

16 Jan 2020

Benedict wrote:
15 Jan 2020
orthodox wrote:
15 Jan 2020

Unfortunately, it controls the input gain of a channel, so if the channel contains a non-linear effect (e.g. compressor), it is not a substitute of the channel fader.
In that case yes indeed, which is why I will arrange things Thor>Compressor>SSL Mixer.
That way my desired signal is not changed by Gain.

:-)
Ok, I tried it out - thanks for the "Gain" suggestion!

It's not quite what I'm looking for, and I'm back to Selig gain. The problem is that this "gain" knob can't help me increase the volume of an instrument BEFORE feeding into a compressor that I have chained after it. And I sometimes like chaining instrument->effect->effect as a simple chain. Why? So I can easily Combinate(tm) it in Reason. After all, putting patches in Combinator is the whole point of Reason, right?

With Selig gain, I usually do:
Instrument -> SeligGain -> Compressor

...That way, if the instrument doesn't have a good volume knob, and the compressor doesn't have a knob to turn up the input signal, I have a way to set a reasonable level going into the compressor.

Anyway, it's an edge case.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Jan 2020

groggy1 wrote:
16 Jan 2020
Benedict wrote:
15 Jan 2020

In that case yes indeed, which is why I will arrange things Thor>Compressor>SSL Mixer.
That way my desired signal is not changed by Gain.

Ok, I tried it out - thanks for the "Gain" suggestion!

It's not quite what I'm looking for, and I'm back to Selig gain. The problem is that this "gain" knob can't help me increase the volume of an instrument BEFORE feeding into a compressor that I have chained after it. And I sometimes like chaining instrument->effect->effect as a simple chain. Why? So I can easily Combinate(tm) it in Reason. After all, putting patches in Combinator is the whole point of Reason, right?

...That way, if the instrument doesn't have a good volume knob, and the compressor doesn't have a knob to turn up the input signal, I have a way to set a reasonable level going into the compressor.

Anyway, it's an edge case.

It sounds like in your particular case, the gain atop the SSL is your best bet then. Just put the compressor on the mix channel (where inserts are meant to go), not under the instrument, that way you got your post instrument gain already set up on every track. :)

selig
RE Developer

16 Jan 2020

For me, probably the most often I use Gain is to do "level checks" through a signal chain, shift/dragging it around to where ever it's needed. The idea of always knowing what level I was "passing around" the mixer was ingrained in me from day one, back when SSLs were first roaming the lands… ;)

The second most often use for me is to adjust gain where there's no built in control, like in the (post FX) insert position to correct for changes in level made by the SSL Dynamics/Filter/EQ, or after Saturation Knob etc.

But almost as often I use it for CV work: as a modulation depth control, as a way to automate CV levels or mutes, as a way to invert CVs, or simply as a static CV source (automating the fader for a way to convert sequencer automation to CV).
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

16 Jan 2020

groggy1 wrote:
16 Jan 2020

You can also push levels well beyond 0 dBFS to create over the top distortion effects (some compressors and also sound interesting severely overdriven). The "hack" is to connect the Fader CV out to CV in, which multiplies the total gain by roughly 3x, giving you a whopping 72 dB of boost with one Gain (and even more when stacking gains!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Benedict
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
16 Jan 2020
You can also push levels well beyond 0 dBFS to create over the top distortion effects (some compressors and also sound interesting severely overdriven). The "hack" is to connect the Fader CV out to CV in, which multiplies the total gain by roughly 3x, giving you a whopping 72 dB of boost with one Gain (and even more when stacking gains!).
Oooh I done never thought about that. :twisted:

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Jowe79

21 Jan 2020

Then... in this debate... please any screenshot for your setups or order of effwcts and re selig gain? What is the better choice for levels of instruments? Ssl gain, and after instrument (thor) and after selig gain inside insert??? Any screenshot please?
Thanks a lot!

• Information