Hotest VST of 2020 and it is FREE (Big Fish Momentum)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Southgate

15 Jan 2020

Just spent a short time playing around with this. Not bad for a freebie. So thanks to Big Fish.

I struggled a little to get some sounds in too...until I realized that I cannot import/drag and drop the MP3 format...it must be WAV files. The samples also must be dragged from outside the Reason explorer.

Once I got that down it was fun to play with...but...I was thinking that Dr. Octo Rex is still bad ass.

Having this plugin is great, but a distraction from utilities and options already available in Reason. I then spent the next 30 mins playing with Dr. Octo Rex and a rush of Ideas and useful production tips and ways of using it came flooding back. That coupled with the sequencer abilities such as time stretch, pitch adjustment and bounce in place means it's all there to be creative. Just throw a couple of effects units in and it's amazing what can done!

It is a great tool for free but a distraction....'so for that reason, I'm out' :D

dvdrtldg

15 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
14 Jan 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Jan 2020
It's ok... freebie, can't complain

But to replace Dr Octo Rex it would need the elegant controlled randomisation of the Alt Slice function. I use that all the time, it's genius
Alt Slice RND, what is it you do?
Basic stuff: with a standard drum loop, put some or all of the closed hi hats in an alt group together. Put some or all of the snare hits in an alt group together. Do the same with kicks. Can sometimes sound a bit weird when soloed (e.g. when a snare doesn't perfectly match the tail of the hit) but usually it's fine when sitting in a mix, and makes the loop sound less static

A bit more adventurous: throw an open hi hat in an alt group with some or all of the closed hi hats. Throw in a snare with the hi hats. You get variations in the beat itself. And of course you can send your cool semi-randomised kicks/hats/snares out to trigger Kong pads

Then start throwing in reversed slices, pitch altered slices, slices sent to FX tracks etc etc etc

dvdrtldg

15 Jan 2020

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
15 Jan 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Jan 2020
It's ok... freebie, can't complain

But to replace Dr Octo Rex it would need the elegant controlled randomisation of the Alt Slice function. I use that all the time, it's genius
I cannot believe that in all the years I've had Reason, I didn't know about this. That really is a cool trick!
I know right??!? It's great. I love Dr Octo Rex. I get that there's a lot it can't do, and it could use an update, but just as a piece of design it's so fucking neat. Always amazed at how much it can achieve with a relatively limited set of features

BananaSkins

15 Jan 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
15 Jan 2020
Boombastix wrote:
14 Jan 2020

Alt Slice RND, what is it you do?
Basic stuff: with a standard drum loop, put some or all of the closed hi hats in an alt group together. Put some or all of the snare hits in an alt group together. Do the same with kicks. Can sometimes sound a bit weird when soloed (e.g. when a snare doesn't perfectly match the tail of the hit) but usually it's fine when sitting in a mix, and makes the loop sound less static

A bit more adventurous: throw an open hi hat in an alt group with some or all of the closed hi hats. Throw in a snare with the hi hats. You get variations in the beat itself. And of course you can send your cool semi-randomised kicks/hats/snares out to trigger Kong pads

Then start throwing in reversed slices, pitch altered slices, slices sent to FX tracks etc etc etc

Good tips thanks - just spent my 1st full hour on Dr Octo Rex alone - not one of my favourite instruments and I rarely use it - but it's gone up in my ears :lol: :thumbs_up:

Goriila Texas

17 Jan 2020

Not working for me either uninstalled it.

aeox wrote:
11 Jan 2020
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jan 2020

Yep. As long as the samples are on your hard drive. You can’t drag samples from refills.
I know but it's not working for me

• Information