"No mixer channel" message when rendering MIDI to Audio via Bounce in Place

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jjdeprisco

10 Jan 2020

I am seeing the attached error when trying to bounce MIDI from a Subtractor part. I bounce all the time and don't usually run into this.

When searching on Google for a solution, I found a forum post but it's on a forum I can't access. So it's a known issue. Any updates?

Will continue to troubleshoot on my own, but would be nice if there was an update somewhere. If Google is going to let me find a forum post, I would expect to have access to the forum once I sign up.
Attachments
render.png
bug report
render.png (131.08 KiB) Viewed 750 times
mixererror.png
error screen
mixererror.png (49.55 KiB) Viewed 750 times

jam-s

11 Jan 2020

That post is/was part of the now hidden/deleted beta test forum for Reason 9.5, thus it's not available any more.

To me that error message sounds like you've got that instance of subtractor wired in a non-standard way. A screenshot of the back of the rack would help in further analysis.

LudvigC
Reason Studios

15 Jan 2020

Hi!

It's exactly what it says: since the "Bounce in Place" function works by rendering the output of a main mixer channel, it requires that the instrument is connected to its own channel(s) in the main mixer.

If your Subtractor is connected to a rack mixer (Mixer 14:2 or Mixer 6:2) for example, it hasn't got a main mixer channel of its own and Bounce in Place won't work.

Solution is to create a Mix Channel and connect your Subtractor to that one (via effects, if so).

/ LudvigC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2020

LudvigC wrote:
15 Jan 2020
Hi!

It's exactly what it says: since the "Bounce in Place" function works by rendering the output of a main mixer channel, it requires that the instrument is connected to its own channel(s) in the main mixer.

If your Subtractor is connected to a rack mixer (Mixer 14:2 or Mixer 6:2) for example, it hasn't got a main mixer channel of its own and Bounce in Place won't work.

Solution is to create a Mix Channel and connect your Subtractor to that one (via effects, if so).

/ LudvigC
You can also active "Rec" on the mixer channel and live record into a new audio track. That way all your complex routing can remain in place.

HOWEVER, Reason has a bug here and that is it does not do latency compensation when you record from one channel to the next. Ludvig, can you push for fix here. I reported this bug in April! Still, no fix. I also send yet another remainder about a week ago. This is affecting R10.4 and R11 AFAIK. With enough latency that doesn't get compensated the offset error on the new recording can be around 1/16th of a note. No bueno...

You can manually adjust the recording so it is in timing, but if you NEED sample accurate timing to avoid phasing issues, then you are unfortunately stuck.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information