RE of the decade?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

14 Jan 2020

We have entered a new decade. What was the best RE of the last decade? You can go ahead and give one for each category (instrument, effect, utility, player). Granted, REs weren't around the entire decade, but lets not get hung up on that. Happy 2020 everybody!

My top REs

Instrument: Nostromo (runner up VK-2) -
The reason Nostromo gets the win (other than being one bad ass synth in it's own right) is because of that random button with the fantastic randomization filter feature. It's like having an endless factory sound bank for this synth. I'm continually blown away with the sounds this synth can make... and it's a tweakers dream with all those knobs. Overkill with the oscillators/wavetables, LFOs and FIlters.... overkill is JUST ENOUGH!

Effect: Fritz (runner up Leveler) -
Fritz is just the most amazing effect unit in the entire shop. I can do so much. And, again, that random button gives this RE an endless factory sound bank. I'm never disappointed or anything less than amazed by the depth of this device after pressing that random button a few times.

Utility: Euclid (runner up PSQ)
I just love using Euclid all over the place. It drives my step sequencers and players (kind of like Euclidean), it plugs into so many of my FX and other utilities in the back of the rack. It's sick!

Player: Kompulsion (runner up Midi-CV Converter)
Kompulsion is, hands-down, the best ARP in the shop. And the sequencer is no joke, either. This player is sick.... especially in combination with multiple Midi CV converters and instruments.

Edit: After giving it some more thought the past few days, I think I want to add a few extra runners up.
Instrument: Resonans, Revival
Effects: GSX, RE-2A, Decimort2, Villanelle Killer Wah
Utility: A/B Audio & CV Switch, CVA-7, Morfin Crossfader, CV8x4
Player: Sequences, RND Generator, ChordLine
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bes
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

DELTA
- Certified Reason expert

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

I'll make my own categories :) Don't really care about utilities or players.

Instrument: Legend
EQ category: Carve EQ Ducker. Because there's nothing else that can replace what it does and it's saved so many of my mixes.
Compressor: FRG-4RE
Reverb: Synapse Deep Reverb
Distortion: CrapRe2
Other: Disperser

joeyluck

14 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
14 Jan 2020
We have entered a new decade. What was the best RE of the last decade? You can go ahead and give one for each category (instrument, effect, utility, player). Granted, REs weren't around the entire decade, but lets not get hung up on that. Happy 2020 everybody!

My top REs

Instrument: Nostromo (runner up VK-2)
Effect: Fritz (runner up Leveler)
I'm curious to see if others can be as decisive and have as much restraint as you have done with your list :D

I'm not ready yet. Very nearly a full decade—8 years of REs. This will take some thinking...

challism

14 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
14 Jan 2020
challism wrote:
14 Jan 2020

My top REs

Instrument: Nostromo (runner up VK-2)
Effect: Fritz (runner up Leveler)
I'm curious to see if others can be as decisive and have as much restraint as you have done with your list :D

I'm not ready yet. Very nearly a full decade—8 years of REs. This will take some thinking...
It's hard to believe 8 years have gone by, isn't it?
I could very easily include 10-15 more REs. I love them so much. I could have broken them down into smaller categories, distortion, delay, compressor, etc. But I wanted to limit myself to 2 in each Reason browser category.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Jan 2020
I'll make my own categories :) Don't really care about utilities or players.

Instrument: Legend
EQ category: Carve EQ Ducker. Because there's nothing else that can replace what it does and it's saved so many of my mixes.
Compressor: FRG-4RE
Reverb: Synapse Deep Reverb
Distortion: CrapRe2
Other: Disperser
CrapRe2 is definitely one of my favorite distortion units. It's sooooo good.
And the same goes for FRG. I grab that for my drums without hesitation just about every song.
I trialed Disperser, but didn't buy it for whatever reason.
Beta tested Carve, but didn't get a license. Never bought it. I remember it had some bugs that never go worked out.... if I"m remember correctly. Is that true?
I own Deep Reverb but haven't used it much (I'm in the minority here, I think). It's good but I just like the RV7000 Mk2 too much.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

Although I can't pick one, here are some that I think deserve mention. (Will probably update)

Synths:
-Expanse
-Complex-1
-Vk-2
-Europa

Sampler:
-Grain

Compressor:
-Leveler
-RE-2A
-Disperser
-DYN-4
-Mace
-Moo Tube

Distortion:
-Mutagen Multiband Distortion
-DynaRage Tube Comp
-Matchlock Amp
-Caliburn Amp
-Saturation Knob
-Decimort2
-RX950 Classic
-Forgotten Waveshaper2

"Bit Crusher:
-Resample Bitcrusher
-BeatCrush 12-bit Distortion
-Mutagen Multiband Distortion
-Decimort2

Chorus:
-Chenille BBD Chorus
-Synapse DC-2
-Quartet Chorus

Transient Shaper:
-DCAM EnvShaper
-Disperser
-Transient Shaper

EQ:
-ColoringEQ
-SSL Channel EQ insert(THANK YOU REASON STUDIOS)
-RE3Q
-GQ-7
-Carve EQ Ducker

Tape:
-CRAPRE
-Tape Cassette Deck\
-Tape Stop

Granular:
-Fritz
-Neutron Particle Emitter

LFO:
-ZFO-2

CV:
-Kron CV Toolbox
-CV Player Tap

Filters:
-AF-4
-PMS-20
-F-16
-Channel EQ

Delay:
-Steerpike BBD
-Efektor DL3606

Reverb:
-DR-1
-Fat Space
-Animus Shimmerverb

Players:
-Delta MIDI Computer
-CV Player Tap
-Kompulsion
-Drum Sequencer

Loque

14 Jan 2020

If i just check what i use the most, its
* FRG-4RE Compressor
* kHs Limter
* Saturation Knob
* Lolth
* eXpanse

If i need to choose only one, i would go with Lolth! I just could not live without it and would make Reason much less interesting if i did not had it!
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

Selig’s Curve
Last edited by MrFigg on 14 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

14 Jan 2020

I'm laughing at some of you guys (and myself too). How many thousands of dollars have we all spent on REs over the years?
And some of our favorites are $9 or even free! ha ha ha ha ha

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Beta tested Carve, but didn't get a license. Never bought it. I remember it had some bugs that never go worked out.... if I"m remember correctly. Is that true?
Never had any problems with it myself, during all these years I've used it. Maybe I've just been lucky? Chip64 (same developer) however have plenty of bugs.

challism

14 Jan 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Jan 2020
challism wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Never had any problems with it myself, during all these years I've used it. Maybe I've just been lucky? Chip64 (same developer) however have plenty of bugs.
It's completely possible that I am not remembering it correctly. Seems like it had problems. As did Chip64, 4Mer and CV Tuner. It's a damn shame when a dev doesn't fix known/reported bugs. I get why OchenK gave up on developing, though. As a one man operation, it would be tough. But the big boys, on the other hand..... tsk, tsk....

guitfnky

14 Jan 2020

RE-2A is and probably will always be my #1 of all time.

synth: The Legend
EQ: EVE AT-1 (versatile, but with enough limitation to get me to stop second guessing my EQ moves so much)
reverb: DR-1
VI: either the Soundiron stuff, or Chambertron stuff (equally)
delay: Echo (yeah, it’s not really an RE, but I don’t care because it’s better than any other option in Reason, IMO)
other effects: ART
utility/other: Kompulsion
guitar/bass amps: Vermilion+Cerberus — there are better options outside of the Reason ecosystem, but Kuassa makes the best in-Reason stuff around, hands-down (I only have Vermilion and Creme, so I’m missing some of the newer options)
compressor that isn’t RE-2A: Softube FET, or C1-L1

best developer: Synapse and Selig Audio (tie) | Synapse has the highest quality stuff in the shop, hands down, and Selig has incredible dedication to, and passion for the platform (and I think RS owe him quite a lot in that regard) — runner up: Kuassa—just a really engaged developer that’s also done a lot of good for Reason and the community

worst developer: McDsp — their REs are great when they work, but they just ported them over, got some money, and ran, leaving known bugs in their wake. oh wait, no, that guy that just ripped off all those samples and tried to sell a ROMpler of it...that was bad. 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Reasonable man

14 Jan 2020

Buffre

dezma

14 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Selig’s Curve
I'd expect more cowbell to be your vote

My vote:
Abl3
Synapse antidote & gq7
Selig deesser

MannequinRaces

14 Jan 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Buffre
Buffre really has stood the test of time. I’d give Buffre and Distillery a tie in the beat mangling category.

Social Exodus

14 Jan 2020

For me, pretty much Kuassa and Selig's products. Kuassa in particular has made guitaring in Reason palatable.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

dvdrtldg

14 Jan 2020

Anything/everything from Lectric Panda and Robotic Bean

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

15 Jan 2020

Instrument: Nostromo
(Other Nominees: Expanse, Complex-1, Parsec, Radical Keys, Umpf Club, Torsion, Legend)

Effect: Kuassa EVE MP5
(Other Nominees: DCAM Envelope Shaper, Polar, Leveller, Ozone Maximizer, Disperser, D-Filter, Futzbox, TSAR-1)

Utility: CV Tuner
(Other Nominees: Selig NoteView, CV8X4, CVA-7)

Player: Kompulsion
(Other Nominees: Scale Matrix, ChordLine, Drum Sequencer, PolyStep, MIDI-CV Converter)

Best Developer: Lectric Panda (by a country mile!)
(Other Nominees: Props/RS (actually they should be first, but assuming they aren't allowed to win it), Kuassa, Softube, Synapse, KiloHearts, Blamsoft)

Who I'm watching most, going forward: Robotic Bean, Forgotten Clank, Static Cling - none of these folks have done anything yet, that I have thought "I'm buying this" (nothing so far has fit the type of music I make), but as a developer myself, I have to admire them. They have been bold, they have been focused, and it's surely only a matter of time until they start taking serious money off me :)

reddust

15 Jan 2020

Instruments:
Super Audio Cart
Parsec
Resonans
Europa
Umpf Club Drums
Stringwerk

Players:
RB Sequences
Reason's Drum Sequencer

Refills:
Koto Nation

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Actually we didn't enter a new decade.
As centuries and millennia are counted the same rule should be applied to years.

So, the first decade starts on the year 1 and ends on the tenth year after.
Most people are saying otherwise, but the point is this century and this millennium started in the year 2001. So our first decade cannot start at a different millennium or a different century. The other interesting thing is that there wasn't a year 0. So you have to start counting years at 1 (if you went down an year, it was 1 BC, and the first year was called 1 AD - which means ano domini, translating to the year of the lord.).

This year is the 2020th year of the lord - but there wasn't a year 0 when time started to be counted in relation to the birth of Christ. To 2019 be the end of a decade, 2019 should be the tenth year of a decade. So go back to decade 1... It would be 1 AD to 10 AD... because the real concept of a decade is the sum of 10 years. So if you don't have a 0, and start counting at 1, you end the decade at the tenth year, not in the ninth or the eleventh.

We can still talk about the Re of the Decade. But it can still happen in 2020! ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2020

mcatalao wrote:
15 Jan 2020
challism wrote:
14 Jan 2020
Actually we didn't enter a new decade.
As centuries and millennia are counted the same rule should be applied to years.

So, the first decade starts on the year 1 and ends on the tenth year after.
Most people are saying otherwise, but the point is this century and this millennium started in the year 2001. So our first decade cannot start at a different millennium or a different century. The other interesting thing is that there wasn't a year 0. So you have to start counting years at 1 (if you went down an year, it was 1 BC, and the first year was called 1 AD - which means ano domini, translating to the year of the lord.).

This year is the 2020th year of the lord - but there wasn't a year 0 when time started to be counted in relation to the birth of Christ. To 2019 be the end of a decade, 2019 should be the tenth year of a decade. So go back to decade 1... It would be 1 AD to 10 AD... because the real concept of a decade is the sum of 10 years. So if you don't have a 0, and start counting at 1, you end the decade at the tenth year, not in the ninth or the eleventh.

We can still talk about the Re of the Decade. But it can still happen in 2020! ;)
Hahahahahaha. That was fucking excellent.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
15 Jan 2020
I know I'm just being a pedant troll twat but at least you've learned something in the process!

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
15 Jan 2020
Even Emmanuel Macron has recently been criticized for prematurely announcing the new decade:
https://www.lefigaro.fr/vox/culture/emm ... e-20200101

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
15 Jan 2020
MrFigg wrote:
15 Jan 2020
Even Emmanuel Macron has recently been criticized for prematurely announcing the new decade:
https://www.lefigaro.fr/vox/culture/emm ... e-20200101
I used to speak French pretty well. Then when I started learning Swedish everything just started melting into one big foreign language. I remember meeting a group of folk from Lyon in a little town in the north of Sweden but when I tried speaking to them all the words I couldn’t remember in French got replaced with Swedish equivalent hahaha. I still remember enough to help my daughter with her homework and also to see that the English subtitles On Amelie and Delicatessen aren’t accurate haha :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information