Are you going to RTFM?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

REs and IKEA furniture. RTFM? No way and never!!!!

Exceeeeept....I've decided I'm actually gonna do it. Yep! The RE I'm going to RTFM for is Fritz. I love Fritz and now I reckon it's time.

Any manuals you're thinking of FR?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Jan 2020

As I can recall, there's nothing to FR in IKEA manuals. They're kind of a comic book.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
14 Jan 2020
As I can recall, there's nothing to FR in IKEA manuals. They're kind of a comic book.
Yep. But more often than not, when you think you’re done screwing it together, you fund that two holes are on the outside and one in the inside and that’s not right so...well you know the rest.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

No way. Especially not for Fritz which has a patch generator button. I'd rather press that patch button 20 times to find something cool than read a manual.

I think I've read a RE manual once. When I got Expanse I actually read through most of it. Of course by now I've forgotten everything anyway so...

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Jan 2020

I always read manuals on all REs I deal with. It's interesting to see at least what the authors have to say about their device.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
14 Jan 2020
No way. Especially not for Fritz which has a patch generator button. I'd rather press that patch button 20 times to find something cool than read a manual.

I think I've read a RE manual once. When I got Expanse I actually read through most of it. Of course by now I've forgotten everything anyway so...
To be honest its probably the first manual I’ve ever been interested in. Pressing that random button got me a “nearly” My Bloody Valentine sound on my guitar but there was a few high frequencies and jittery bits I would have liked to have taken out to get it just right...so for me in any case it’s worth looking at what the buttons actually do. Probably won’t understand it anyway haha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Reasonable man

14 Jan 2020

Yea ..Going through Directre right now . Another multipurpose utility device that does everythin except make tea and probably does! a must for drum live performance senarios i think . Hydlide's vids were always my manual reading. Luckily enough alot of em are still there.
Fritz is notoriously hard to control . I think its one of those effects that need to be put in the insert of a parralell channel. Often there's too much lfo modulation happening in some parameters which need to be scaled back a bit.

dannyF

14 Jan 2020

I must have a comprehension issue/bottleneck. Often i will read things and feel totally lost. I learn by doing mostly. Youtube is also good for me being visual.

motuscott

14 Jan 2020

I once read a manuel
Biggest regret ever
My childhood ain't gonna Peter Pan itself...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Loque

14 Jan 2020

Yes, defenetly Fritz was one i need to RTFM.

In normal cases, i throw software away which is too complicated. Not enough time today, to read 200 pages before i get a tone out of a freaking synth or fx.

And for IKEA, there is always
Reason12, Win10

BRIGGS

14 Jan 2020

RTFM???

I'm a huge nerd...so....duh :roll:

:lol:
r11s

MannequinRaces

14 Jan 2020

I need to read Sequences, Complex-1, and Delta. Not sure when that’s gonna happen but it needs to at some point.

dvdrtldg

14 Jan 2020

I've been reading manuals for a few weeks now, it's sort of a project. Well worth it, I'm having lots of "A-ha" moments and getting inspired. Although I'm still on VST manuals and haven't gotten started on REs yet. Currently wading through the manuals for +50 Waves plugins

Oquasec

14 Jan 2020

Since the manuals are 50 pages maximum yeah I'd go through those quickly so why not?
Prolly takes 3 hours to cover 55 modules
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

HeavyViper

14 Jan 2020

First thing I would do after getting a new game or anything was flip through the manual from front to back. I've kept that up for years, and I'm not about to stop now.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

Faastwalker

15 Jan 2020

Too many to mention. But high on the list would be PSQ-1684. I'm fascinated but totally mystified by this one.

Chizmata

15 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Jan 2020
REs and IKEA furniture. RTFM? No way and never!!!!

Exceeeeept....I've decided I'm actually gonna do it. Yep! The RE I'm going to RTFM for is Fritz. I love Fritz and now I reckon it's time.

Any manuals you're thinking of FR?
rtfm is essential to understand what a device really does and can do and how, so i do it every time.

Yonatan

15 Jan 2020

:) Build your own Rack... a bit like Ikea, build your own home with the sweat of your brows.

But I prefer RE as a building block, although some frustration may come further down the line when finishing a song. But thank God we dont need to touch those screws and that the cables dont suddenly need soldering...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2020

I've read a bunch of them. For example, Revival has such a different way to work around sound design (the adsr's mostly are a completely different thought process) that i had to read it.

Same for Parsec and even px7. I think i also read parts of Expanse too.

I don't read most compressors, eq's (well, tbh i really need to brush up on Selig's eq), and samplers because they are mostly all the same as for layout of type of controls. I don't read rompler manuals, i don't read a lot of stuff that are kind of obvious.

But if the device is A LOT different or out of the box it's important to check it out.

But i read and often go back to Reason's manual either when new devices are available, or if i need to do something on an area that i'm not so experienced.

demt

15 Jan 2020

thankyou mcatalo for vocalising my thoughts its nice to find the same mindfulness is alive and kicking
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

WongoTheSane

15 Jan 2020

This is probably the fourth time I say this, but Jiggery Pokery's manuals are in a class of their own. Not only do they borrow the visual aspect of the era in which the device was created, they're also written in the style of that era, with lots of inside jokes, anachronistic asides and proper technical/historical lessons. And then there are hand-written notes on top. They sure stand on their own. Hint: you can download them from their respective shop pages even if you don't own the devices. Treat yourself.

motuscott

15 Jan 2020

WongoTheSane wrote:
15 Jan 2020
This is probably the fourth time I say this, but Jiggery Pokery's manuals are in a class of their own. Not only do they borrow the visual aspect of the era in which the device was created, they're also written in the style of that era, with lots of inside jokes, anachronistic asides and proper technical/historical lessons. And then there are hand-written notes on top. They sure stand on their own. Hint: you can download them from their respective shop pages even if you don't own the devices. Treat yourself.
Can't go wrong with the Poke.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Chizmata

17 Jan 2020

on a sidenote, is there a manual für scenic? couldnt find it via the shop, google or reason help yet.

reddust

17 Jan 2020

I usually prefer to WTFT... (watch the f... tutorial ;) )

I've been doing this for a couple of my synths and it helps me a lot more than RTFM

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2020

I usually "refer" to manuals when needed. Rarely have I ever felt the need to read a manual because most stuff is fairly straight forward. (synths/fx)

• Information