Hotest VST of 2020 and it is FREE (Big Fish Momentum)

Discuss VST stuff here!
Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2020

Looks incredible. :shock: This looks like a Serato, OctoRex et al killer, and yep, it is free. :o

Check out the vid:

Grab it here:
https://www.bigfishaudio.com/momentum.html

I'm downloading right now. :lol:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

10 Jan 2020

Interesting...wish this would be just in my DAW, and yes, i meant Reason. And i am aware of that i can already do this, just with a big bunch of work... I think, i goona give this a try. Thanks for heads up.
Reason12, Win10

BananaSkins

10 Jan 2020

Dragging / Importing my own wav samples into Momentum fails for me? All imported wav files just appear on the Reason sequencer? :thumbs_down:
Any one had success with this?

teddymcw

10 Jan 2020

Why is this thing free?

I guess they have a browser with samples they want you to choose from, but I'm still not sure how they eat.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2020

teddymcw wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Why is this thing free?

I guess they have a browser with samples they want you to choose from, but I'm still not sure how they eat.
Brings more awareness to the stuff they sell and then integrate a store inside your DAW. So, marketing and availability, just like Coca Cola. Everyone knows about it, and you can get a Coke even on a small island on the other side of the world. They just made the tool free, so also low entry barrier. They made it so awesome that you want to use it. Win-win, kinda.
Last edited by Boombastix on 10 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2020

BananaSkins wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Dragging / Importing my own wav samples into Momentum fails for me? All imported wav files just appear on the Reason sequencer? :thumbs_down:
I just set it to keep open in the Reason window, then in the left bottom corner click on MIXER, that gives you the drag and drop window.
Still some things I don't understand, and I'm sure there will be updates refining it, such as:
Separation between end and start marker of adjacent clips, like Serato.

But the stretch sounds good, like really good, over a large key and tempo range. And 17 FX, per slice, OMG :shock:

littlejam

10 Jan 2020

hello,

i watched the demo
and grabbed this thing up
i have not installed it yet

my question is: after installing, does a user have to remain online to use it?

thanks,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2020

drag and drop files not working :(

VIVIsect

11 Jan 2020

I gave it a spin, but Reason still doesn't have drag and drop functionality to VSTs, and the plugin doesn't appear to allow you to navigate to your own sample libraries from within its browser, or did I miss something? Tried it out in Ableton Live and it immediately crashed every time I dropped a sample in. Decided it's not for me and uninstalled. Shame because I really like the idea. It's similar to Vice, which I use often, except Vice doesn't have all the slice effects. I might give it another go after some updates.

teddymcw

11 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Win-win, kinda.
Thanks! Look forward to trying. Suddenly I've got a great thirsting for a nice cola beverage :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
11 Jan 2020
I just drag from my Windows explorer, works just fine. Make sure you are on the MIXER page in the plugin.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
11 Jan 2020
aeox wrote:
11 Jan 2020
I just drag from my Windows explorer, works just fine. Make sure you are on the MIXER page in the plugin.
Yep. As long as the samples are on your hard drive. You can’t drag samples from refills.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BananaSkins

11 Jan 2020

Boombastix wrote:
10 Jan 2020
BananaSkins wrote:
10 Jan 2020
I just set it to keep open in the Reason window, then in the left bottom corner click on MIXER, that gives you the drag and drop window.
Still some things I don't understand, and I'm sure there will be updates refining it, such as:
Separation between end and start marker of adjacent clips, like Serato.

But the stretch sounds good, like really good, over a large key and tempo range. And 17 FX, per slice, OMG :shock:

Thanks dragging my own samples samples in works good...
I like the key-change of each sample on the fly... :thumbs_up:

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Boombastix wrote:
11 Jan 2020

Yep. As long as the samples are on your hard drive. You can’t drag samples from refills.
I know but it's not working for me

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
11 Jan 2020
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jan 2020

Hmmm. I haven’t tried yet but I had the same issue with Regroover. Are you opening up your samples folder in Windows and dragging them in directly from there or are you opening the samples folder through Reason’s browser?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BananaSkins

11 Jan 2020

aeox wrote:
11 Jan 2020
MrFigg wrote:
11 Jan 2020

Might seem obvious but do make sure you are dragging you external samples into the box that says 'Drop Samples And Kits Here'

BananaSkins

11 Jan 2020

I don't really use samples / loops etc but I've just loaded 18 samples all playable via my 88 keyboard - very good for creating an instant jamming inspiration.
It basically becomes a mixer in it's own right - just a pity you can not use the extra audio outputs at the back.
Create a loop and add FX whilst playing for added pleasure. A good freebie :thumbs_up:

dezma

13 Jan 2020

VIVIsect wrote:
11 Jan 2020
I gave it a spin, but Reason still doesn't have drag and drop functionality to VSTs, and the plugin doesn't appear to allow you to navigate to your own sample libraries from within its browser, or did I miss something? Tried it out in Ableton Live and it immediately crashed every time I dropped a sample in. Decided it's not for me and uninstalled. Shame because I really like the idea. It's similar to Vice, which I use often, except Vice doesn't have all the slice effects. I might give it another go after some updates.
Seems to work fine in Studio One. Vice is a bit more straightforward for the actual slicing in having a transient sensitivity knob yet the "glitch" / synchronous style FX in momentum are very nice. Imho Vice is a lot of money for the limited functionality and drag n drop from internal browser in studio one didn't work. No response from facebook chat when reporting this issue.

The fact you still can't load samples to VST from the internal browser is ridiculous. This was answered to me back in june '17.
2) Correct, we do not support drag and drop to the VSTs at the moment, but it's in our backlog.
backlog like in forget well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 Jan 2020

dezma wrote:
13 Jan 2020
VIVIsect wrote:
11 Jan 2020
Seems to work fine in Studio One. Vice is a bit more straightforward for the actual slicing in having a transient sensitivity knob yet the "glitch" / synchronous style FX in momentum are very nice. Imho Vice is a lot of money for the limited functionality and drag n drop from internal browser in studio one didn't work. No response from facebook chat when reporting this issue.

The fact you still can't load samples to VST from the internal browser is ridiculous. This was answered to me back in june '17.
2) Correct, we do not support drag and drop to the VSTs at the moment, but it's in our backlog.
backlog like in forget well.
If you browse samples on your HD using the Reason browser, you can right click a folder/sample and select 'Show in Explorer'. Then drag from Explorer, not perfect but quite a quick and useful work around.

Loque

14 Jan 2020

teddymcw wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Why is this thing free?

Hum...yea, just wanted to try it out and they want you to "sign up". F*ck no, maybe later when i am drunk and do not think about it...
Reason12, Win10

littlejam

14 Jan 2020

hello again,

after installing, does a user have to remain connected to the internet please?

thanks for the info about having to 'sign up'

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

dvdrtldg

14 Jan 2020

It's ok... freebie, can't complain

But to replace Dr Octo Rex it would need the elegant controlled randomisation of the Alt Slice function. I use that all the time, it's genius

Boombastix
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Jan 2020

But to replace Dr Octo Rex it would need the elegant controlled randomisation of the Alt Slice function. I use that all the time, it's genius
Alt Slice RND, what is it you do?

I agree DrOctoRex has many features, but drawbacks too:
1. Cannot drop in Wav files.
2. Cannot move slice locators or overlap slices (Kong does this though).
3. No time stretch.
4. Will probably never get new updates.
5. Cannot re-pitch via midi (play via keyboard)
6. No key detection
7. No FXs.

EpiGenetik

15 Jan 2020

Some great design ideas... and some terrible ones too. Don't see it replacing any of my setup yet, although it certainly has the potential to do so with some smart updates and/or bug fixes.

TheGodOfRainbows

15 Jan 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
14 Jan 2020

I have completely ignored that function. Thank you so much for pointing this feature out. I cannot believe that in all the years I've had Reason, I didn't know about this. That really is a cool trick!

• Information