Korg Wavestate

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?

Heater

06 Jan 2020

Quite exciting times... I really hope it comes with a nice vst editor.
I bet is sound gorgeous.

benjified

06 Jan 2020

Now I’ll have to pretend to be excited on Twitter tomorrow.

enossified

06 Jan 2020

So after saturating the market with low cost analogs, we're going back to digital again? :roll:

EdGrip

07 Jan 2020

Yeah, fuck all those guys bringing different kinds of affordable synths to the market! Makes me sick!

kinkujin

07 Jan 2020

EdGrip wrote:
07 Jan 2020
Yeah, fuck all those guys bringing different kinds of affordable synths to the market! Makes me sick!
huh?

bitley

08 Jan 2020

Cuckoo does the right thing in his video by getting to the nuts and bolts of what it is step by step. I don't know what it is on a larger scale yet though. The Wavestation concept hasn't really impressed me so much over the years but the vector possibilities are nice. Would like to be able to record those movements so that's one of those things I must get to know about it. SY22 does allow you to do that. The monster vector recording synth was the Hartmann Neuron of course. I had that for a month or two, writing a review of it in a magazine. So Wavestate... 6 Gb flash etc. Great to see that inventions and updates are back in the old hw world.

adfielding

08 Jan 2020

bitley wrote:
08 Jan 2020
The monster vector recording synth was the Hartmann Neuron of course. I had that for a month or two, writing a review of it in a magazine.
Oh, nice! I've had this weird fascination with the Neuron for the past couple of years or so - I've never actually used one myself, but there's something about it that I just find really interesting. Never managed to get the Mac NeuronVS version up and running (I don't own a NUKE controller), and I've since switched back to Windows-land but that curiosity still remains... is your review available to read somewhere? Would be interested to know what you made of it!

As for the Wavestate - I think it's got a lot of potential, though I'm not really in the market for more hardware. Must admit I'm not massively enamoured with some of the Korg patch demos, but I'll be interested to see more user examples in the weeks/months ahead. If they released a software version I'd be all over it.

bitley

08 Jan 2020

Cool :) That was in swedish unfortunately, for a mag called Studio.

I know there's been updates but the Legacy WS plug could be one step towards what it does.

Another WS-inspired thing is to use waveform randomization with the NNXT to create all sorts of mysterious sound combinations. It can also glide or switch between waves so the possibilities for creating similar stuff with Reason are there.

As for vector recording in Neuron that was the most fun thing it could do. Just press rec on a joystick and all those joystick recordings would become a part of the sound. Massive and gorgeous synth from the future ;) Linux computer on the inside.

PGR

08 Jan 2020

adfielding wrote:
08 Jan 2020
As for the Wavestate - I think it's got a lot of potential, though I'm not really in the market for more hardware. Must admit I'm not massively enamoured with some of the Korg patch demos, but I'll be interested to see more user examples in the weeks/months ahead. If they released a software version I'd be all over it.
One of the most underrated RE-instruments is "Vecto Instrument" from Rob Papen.A four-oscillator vector synthesizer, only in RE-format. The sound is very much, I guess, what you can hear from the Wavestate

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nstrument/

O1B

08 Jan 2020

Why not separate Outs for each layer - a la A4 MK2?

danc

09 Jan 2020

PGR wrote:
08 Jan 2020
One of the most underrated RE-instruments is "Vecto Instrument" from Rob Papen.A four-oscillator vector synthesizer, only in RE-format. The sound is very much, I guess, what you can hear from the Wavestate

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nstrument/
VECTO is available as VST (etc.) now as well..
https://www.robpapen.com/Vecto-vst.html
Check my Soundcloud:

adfielding

10 Jan 2020

bitley wrote:
08 Jan 2020
I know there's been updates but the Legacy WS plug could be one step towards what it does.
I noticed that the WS VST was on sale for $25 (<£20 here) so I decided to grab it. I remember messing around with the Korg Legacy Collection in the early-mid 00s and not having a clue what I was doing, and this brought me right back to that feeling. It feels nice to mess around with a synth that isn't a VA for a change! Not that there's anything wrong with VAs, just feel like I'm absolutely covered in that regard.
PGR wrote:
08 Jan 2020
I genuinely thought I'd tried that before, but it seems I did not - I will have to give it a proper try at some point. Thanks for the tip :)

O1B

10 Jan 2020

... is it out yet...?

Minilogue SOLD ( more Bass, pls) and,
Monologue SOLD (modulation options didn't mesh with me, the 'dual OSC' wasn't my thing).

I Still have my Microkorg white.. It's still a beast to me.

Daniel Fisher... awesome Shirt!

- very interesting Synth -

"Jamming on the One"

Loque

10 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Is Wavestate a simple version of Nostromo?
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2020

Curious if this compares favorably to HydraSynth, which I can't get out of my mind after hearing demos and talking to folks who've played it in person.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

10 Jan 2020

Wavestate :D

vs.
Nostromo :)

;)
Loque wrote:
10 Jan 2020

O1B

10 Jan 2020

Wow! Just saw! More keys, too. very very nice!

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Curious if this compares favorably to HydraSynth, which I can't get out of my mind after hearing demos and talking to folks who've played it in person.

Loque

10 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Wavestate :D

vs.
Nostromo :)

;)
Loque wrote:
10 Jan 2020

Oh...you compare images...did not knew that.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2020

Hydrasynth may actually be a better comparison to Nostromo - being able to select multiple waves and morph between them. Or can Wavestation do that too? Been a LONG time since I've sat with a wave station…
O1B wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Selig Audio, LLC

Yonatan

10 Jan 2020

Having hard time understanding the hype about such releases of gear in 2020. But I do think Korg done it right adding quite some knobs on it. Worst are the releases of hardware these days and it looks like knobs are not been invented yet (looking at NI hardware). ;)

Yonatan

10 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Hydrasynth may actually be a better comparison to Nostromo - being able to select multiple waves and morph between them. Or can Wavestation do that too? Been a LONG time since I've sat with a wave station…
O1B wrote:
10 Jan 2020
There you have some real knobs! With that one design in sight, Wavestate look a bit tiny and cramped. But I guess the price tag on Hydrasynth is way higher. But those knobs...

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2020

Yonatan wrote:
10 Jan 2020
There you have some real knobs! With that one design in sight, Wavestate look a bit tiny and cramped. But I guess the price tag on Hydrasynth is way higher. But those knobs...
You can get the desktop version of Hydrasynth for the same price as Wavestate, or pay $1299 and get a bigger keyboard, poly after touch, and a ribbon controller (as well as many additional features including EuroRack CV I/O). It's a matter of which one meets your needs, and especially if you're a huge fan of the original (I'm not, but only because of lack of experience with it).
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Jan 2020

Loque wrote:
10 Jan 2020

The original Korg Wavestation and Ensoniq fizmo were big influnces on Nostromo's design.

Loque

10 Jan 2020

rcbuse wrote:
10 Jan 2020
Loque wrote:
10 Jan 2020

The original Korg Wavestation and Ensoniq fizmo were big influnces on Nostromo's design.
If i want something to morph between Wavetables or Waveforms, Nostromo is hammered in my mind to be the first choice. Thats why it directly came into my mind.
Reason12, Win10

• Information