Choice Sound Modules for the (Euro)Rack

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

02 Oct 2019

I think I have to double-back for all things Mutable....

I haven't gotten Braids yet, but every sound example sounds the business. Peaks, Tides V2, Shades, and Ears so far

Please, post pics of your Builds. I am very impressed by such things, and hope to join the club next year.
No rush, though.

I really want to try ELEMENTS.... :ugeek:
Catblack wrote:
02 Oct 2019
O1B wrote:
02 Oct 2019
Mutable Instruments BRAIDS... Synthesis Models Series #35

I've been considering building a UBraids 2. Though those redesigns get really dense and hard to build. And also I'm liking the less crowded layouts on the original models.

(I've got several Piques to finish, they are so dense! But then I'm going to build some Shades, Veils and Blinds next. I'm building a case too so I really don't need to worry about HP.)

It's nice to play with Braids in VCV though!

O1B

07 Oct 2019

Hysteria Performance VCO, by Dreadbox.

Nice approach to 'Tuning', and Waveform Selection via CV.

Analog VCO with range from 16Hz up to 32.000Hz
Variable Voltage Controlled Wave Shaper
Advanced pitch control with Voltage Controlled Quantizer, so it is always in tune
Hard Sync Input
Separate Pulse Output, for use as a clock or to sync other oscillators

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/hysteria/

O1B

08 Jan 2020

Introducing the Behringer CAT.

...very Minibrutish with the sliders per voices... but- with that noice Digi sound, imo

- VCO 1 and VCO 2 with sliders per 'Shape'
- CAT Filter w Self-Rez
- LFO
- 2 ENV Generators
- Sample and Hold
- Duophonic or Poly-chainable to 16 Voices

selig
RE Developer

08 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
08 Jan 2020

...very Minibrutish with the sliders per voices... but- with that noice Digi sound, imo

- CAT Filter w Self-Rez
- LFO
- 2 ENV Generators
- Sample and Hold
Always loved the original CAT - spent countless hours with one at my local music store back in high school but haven't seen one in person in years. Will have to check this out and see if it evokes any memories - remembering it was a more aggressive Odyssey IIRC…
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

08 Jan 2020

I sold my Model D for the one with Keys..

I want to try the MS-20 Clone, too.
But, this seems a nicely Digital. I Love the "Beverly Hills Cop" riff, too.
selig wrote:
08 Jan 2020

Always loved the original CAT - spent countless hours with one at my local music store back in high school but haven't seen one in person in years. Will have to check this out and see if it evokes any memories - remembering it was a more aggressive Odyssey IIRC…

Catblack

09 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
08 Jan 2020
O1B wrote:
08 Jan 2020

- CAT Filter w Self-Rez
- LFO
- 2 ENV Generators
- Sample and Hold

I'm not so sure I want to support Behringer. I'll consider some of their new line used maybe down the line. I'm seeing a lot of talk (and some evidence) that the engineers over there are stealing designs without attribution from the community of enthusiasts who have reverse engineered the old synths and created designs using modern parts. I suspect (just my opinion, this) that Uli himself is driving his engineers to produce quickly and they are just turning to the community to steal designs instead of coming up with reverse engineered designs on their own. (Lots of complaints on Glassdoor about Uli from ex employees, way more than you'd expect.)

Which is why I won't support them directly. I'd probably buy these things used anyhow -- that's just my ethos and economy anyway -- but in Behringer's case I don't want to directly support the design stealing behemoth.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jan 2020

I've totally held off from all things Behringer for many years now. I'm not 100% how I feel about what they're doing because there is an up side (more folks able to work with these amazing synths) and a down side (cheeper construction which would only matter over time, a race to the bottom on prices especially if/when they get into Eurorack modules, etc.).
I remember when plugins first came out in the late 1990s, and something like AutoTune was around $600. Now if you're not under $100 for any plugin you're "overpriced" and "gauging". I can see similar things happening in the hardware world to some degree… ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

Catblack

08 Mar 2020

Neutron Sound has their new Dust Of Time module out. I've already got a pcb and panel and should have one built in about a month. It uses a Teensy 3.6 and it's going to be killer. Neutron Sound is run by Jakplugg (of all the micro and nano Mutable conversion, also uO_C) and another guy. I had their earlier module, Orgone Accumulator on my list for a while.

There's some demos up on their facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/NeutronSound/

I've built 3 uO_Cs as well as 5 Piques, a Beehive and just yesterday finished building 3 nRings. All modules with pcbs and panels designed by the same guy. (Though conversions of bigger modules, they have some small improvements like both way power headers.) So he knows his stuff and I'm sure it's going to be a great module!

Damn.

O1B

11 Mar 2020

All things..? I thought you all loved the X-32 :thumbs_up:

So far I've owned their Mixer (UFX), EQ (19" and mini FBQs), Crave and the Behringer D.

The UFX is one of the ONLY mixers that multi-tracks over USB. Artutia's LP is nice -but- Analog. :redface:
I returned the EQs due to their sonics.
But, the Sound of the Behr D and Crave ... Stupendous.
Behringer is copying - umm, learning, learning from the BEST.
But, the experience of Roland and Korg, etc. means better application of different knobs and switches, imo.
For example.. Clicky buttons on the Crave? not the greatest idea. nor was the seq/arp design.

But, the signal flow was very useful and I still copy it's 'patching' over to other synths.
I have not had any Build Quality issues with Behringer.

If the Behringer EQ module stands up to Mutable's Sheves ($$ x2), and the VCAs are clean, Im in.
the Sys 100 174... or 305 (below)

if not, I have my BEAST:

selig wrote:
09 Jan 2020
I've totally held off from all things Behringer for many years now. I'm not 100% how I feel about what they're doing because there is an up side (more folks able to work with these amazing synths) and a down side (cheeper construction which would only matter over time, a race to the bottom on prices especially if/when they get into Eurorack modules, etc.).
I remember when plugins first came out in the late 1990s, and something like AutoTune was around $600. Now if you're not under $100 for any plugin you're "overpriced" and "gauging". I can see similar things happening in the hardware world to some degree… ;(
Last edited by O1B on 31 Mar 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Catblack

29 Mar 2020

Catblack wrote:
08 Mar 2020
Neutron Sound has their new Dust Of Time module out. I've already got a pcb and panel and should have one built in about a month. It uses a Teensy 3.6 and it's going to be killer. Neutron Sound is run by Jakplugg (of all the micro and nano Mutable conversion, also uO_C) and another guy. I had their earlier module, Orgone Accumulator on my list for a while.

There's some demos up on their facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/NeutronSound/

I've built 3 uO_Cs as well as 5 Piques, a Beehive and just yesterday finished building 3 nRings. All modules with pcbs and panels designed by the same guy. (Though conversions of bigger modules, they have some small improvements like both way power headers.) So he knows his stuff and I'm sure it's going to be a great module!
20200329_124130.jpg
20200329_124130.jpg (78.16 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

I can confirm, it's a great module. If you can build a uOC, you can build one of these.

Damn.

O1B

30 Mar 2020

Interesting... https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/03/ne ... orack.html

I must investigate further.... what is it? Pros? ...cons?
It looks sweet.

Catblack wrote:
29 Mar 2020

I can confirm, it's a great module. If you can build a uOC, you can build one of these.

Catblack

30 Mar 2020

O1B wrote:
30 Mar 2020

It looks sweet.

Catblack wrote:
29 Mar 2020

It's a successor to the Orgone Accumulator. It's a dual oscillator with a screen. The firmware is still being worked on, it's got a teensy 3.6 in it so there's an sd card. It can load waveedit files, has a variety of modulations including a bunch of chaotic oscillators. 4 CV in, a stereo out plus 2 cv outs which can be assigned to anything on it. Midi in, a gate for each oscillator and v/oct of course.

I've got a video here of my playing with it in the first half hour of having finished it. Should give you a taste of the interface. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gjQNSbTfzP22YhDY9

I'd been following the development of it for the past year, as I really wanted to build an Orgone Accumulator (it has that as modes built into it.) I've already had a great two hour session with it patching it into my other gear. It's the one thing I just had to build as quickly as I could. You can only get the pcb/panel (or built module) from Michigan Synthworks right now. And again, it's a module designed by JakPlugg (Jim Matheson) who is just brilliant -- and who has clearly learned a lot from Émilie at Mutable. There's a couple of the Braids modes as oscillator options in the DoT.

I've built about 4/5ths of my eurorack so far so I gravitate towards things I can build vs things I can buy!

Damn.

O1B

31 Mar 2020

Amazing, amazing skill, Cat Black. Don't ever think otherwise.

If I leave this earth without acquiring that skill, I have failed my ancestors.
That's some Nice work!

I'll look into this module. Thanks.
Catblack wrote:
30 Mar 2020
O1B wrote:
30 Mar 2020

It looks sweet.

It's a successor to the Orgone Accumulator. It's a dual oscillator with a screen. The firmware is still being worked on, it's got a teensy 3.6 in it so there's an sd card. It can load waveedit files, has a variety of modulations including a bunch of chaotic oscillators. 4 CV in, a stereo out plus 2 cv outs which can be assigned to anything on it. Midi in, a gate for each oscillator and v/oct of course.

I've got a video here of my playing with it in the first half hour of having finished it. Should give you a taste of the interface. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gjQNSbTfzP22YhDY9

I'd been following the development of it for the past year, as I really wanted to build an Orgone Accumulator (it has that as modes built into it.) I've already had a great two hour session with it patching it into my other gear. It's the one thing I just had to build as quickly as I could. You can only get the pcb/panel (or built module) from Michigan Synthworks right now. And again, it's a module designed by JakPlugg (Jim Matheson) who is just brilliant -- and who has clearly learned a lot from Émilie at Mutable. There's a couple of the Braids modes as oscillator options in the DoT.

I've built about 4/5ths of my eurorack so far so I gravitate towards things I can build vs things I can buy!

O1B

26 Apr 2020

Bitbox mk2 – Intuitive Sampling Module - Image

Next Generation Sampling Module for Eurorack ..$599
Bitbox mk2 is a follow up to our successful bitbox module. Do more with bitbox mk2’s more powerful processor and improved touch screen. This module has all of the features of the original bitbox and adds effects and mixing capabilities that take advantage of the faster and more powerful processor.

Sample further, get granular. The original bitbox gets an mk2 upgrade, still at US$599 / 26HP. You get a new touchscreen with crisper, clearer viewing angles (IPS tech), a new Granular Mode, and twice the processing power of the original.

-Stream long samples from the microSD card with a max sample size of 4 GB, which can be many hours of audio
- Record samples from a stereo audio input pair
- Load a folder of samples into a sample mode pad to improve the quality of the pitch shifting when playing a sample chromatically or to trigger different samples with each note
- Trigger each of the 16 pads with a dedicated gate input
- Record through the dedicated stereo audio input pair
- Inputs and outputs are DC coupled so you can record and play out CV signals
- Confidently connect with both TRS MIDI Type A and Type B, no adapter needed
- Playback can be immediate or synchronized to internal clock, TRS clock in, or MIDI clock in and out
- Use the 3.5″ diagonal touch screen to intuitively explore the features of the module

NOTE: Firmware Switching:
The bitbox mk2 is a new hardware platform that is similar to the Series 1 platform. Right now, the only firmware that can run on the bitbox mk2 is the bitbox firmware. We intend to make the synthbox and fxbox firmware available for the bitbox mk2 hardware in the future. Bitbox mk2 firmware updates will be available from forum.1010music.com.

and... BitBix Micro... $399

DJMaytag wrote:
13 Apr 2020
That’s dope. Indeed the firmware can be swapped for use as a Bitbox or Synthbox, but not Toolbox. Anyway, I’ve paid more attention to using it as Bitbox, but FXBox looks awfully intriguing. I wasn’t aware the FX could be sequenced like that. I assume the inputs allow the various FX to be triggered externally?

DJMaytag

26 Apr 2020

BITBOX MICRO FTW!!!

That looks dope AF.

O1B

06 May 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
26 Apr 2020
BITBOX MICRO FTW!!!

That looks dope AF.

O1B

07 Jun 2020

Good List of the Pros and Cons of V2 vs Micro:

O1B

05 Jul 2020

Moog Subharmonicon

Subharmonicon is a semi-modular polyrhythmic analog synthesizer that employs a 6-tone sound engine and multi-layered clock generator to explore the world of subharmonics, polyrhythms, and the unique relationships they create.

MOOG Music: https://www.moogmusic.com/products/subharmonicon

SOUND ENGINE: Analog

SOURCES: VCO 1, SUB 1, SUB 2 / VCO 2, SUB 1, SUB 2
FILTER: Self-Oscillating Ladder Filter, Low-Pass, 4-Pole (-24 dB/Octave)
ENVELOPES: VCA EG (Attack, Decay); VCF EG (Attack, Decay)
SEQUENCERS: Analog (x2)

STEPS: 4 Steps per Sequencer, selectable Quantization
CLOCK: Driven by any and all of the Rhythm Generators

O1B

19 Sep 2020

Endorphin es. Queen of Pentacles

Queen of Pentacles is a 7 voice hybrid drum kit:
Analogue-based: bass drum, snare drum and clap
- 4 sample-based drums (e.g. hi-hats, ride and crash cymbal – or simply use your own samples via SD card)
- Zero-latency sample playback directly from SD card

$650

O1B

20 Nov 2020

Pulsar 23... :shock: : https://somasynths.com/pulsar-23/

Very Creative/Expressive 4 Part Drum Synth, imo.

Bass DRUM by Vlad the Kreimer

O1B

24 Nov 2020

Just - WoW!

My kind of Sound Machine. All over the Place, Sonically - then, back to Square 1. :puf_smile:
I get the Desktop Spacing. Very Arp 2600-Like.

Now, to get my Hands on one!

O1B

29 Nov 2020

Got one! Proper Kit.

The Silver "ADDs' (Trigger PADs) are Capacitive. They Don't Depress.
But, there is a Light, and the PADs are QUITE responsive.

Extremely Well Made. Heavy Metal Chassis. Substantial.
The Sound. The Modulation. The. I/O. Filter, Sat/Drive.
The Creative Possibilities.

Top Hand. Recommended
O1B-Pulsar23-01.JPG
O1B-Pulsar23-01.JPG (742.18 KiB) Viewed 3264 times

demt

03 Dec 2020

I'm up for a bitbox mk2 or micro in a couple of weeks I need those extra outputs.hopefuly a mk2 for under 500 or the micro ,depends on the market .
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

O1B

16 Dec 2020

FYI : Pulsar 23 is shipping! Don’t miss Orange!

Yep! Both. I have neither, but I want both.
Post a pic when you have it, please.
demt wrote:
03 Dec 2020
I'm up for a bitbox mk2 or micro in a couple of weeks I need those extra outputs.hopefuly a mk2 for under 500 or the micro ,depends on the market .

demt

17 Dec 2020

The micro is in the post,yeahar!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information