Softube Console 1 as MIDI controller for the SSL mixer

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 May 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
14 May 2019
mcatalao wrote:
14 May 2019

You don't need to add the button. I have it on follow selected track, just have this set up and it will follow. When you hit f2, it will bring the eq spectrum window with the active channel already on context.
That's right. I also use F2.
Yeah but if you have monitor space, you can have the eq spectrum window always active, and you'll see the eq changing with the active channel.

On an side note, i use a BCR2000 pretty much as one would use the Softube Console one. The softube is quite beautiful, has a great layout, but for now the BCR2000 is working quite nicely with reason and i can control a lot of stuff in a mixer channel so no need to change.

Anyway, i had some nitpicks with some configurations and integration, and since Reason does not have a context button for the remote i had to play a bit with some automation. I have a script that "looks" at reason for a solo'ed channel, and when it finds a solo it activates it by that button in the mixer. Though the script is simulating mouseclicks faster than a human would do, it works fast and selects contex in less than a sec. It's pretty neat because at this moment i can mix an entire song almost without touching the mouse.

Ahornberg

15 May 2019

mcatalao wrote:
14 May 2019
Anyway, i had some nitpicks with some configurations and integration, and since Reason does not have a context button for the remote i had to play a bit with some automation. I have a script that "looks" at reason for a solo'ed channel, and when it finds a solo it activates it by that button in the mixer. Though the script is simulating mouseclicks faster than a human would do, it works fast and selects contex in less than a sec. It's pretty neat because at this moment i can mix an entire song almost without touching the mouse.
Would you like to share your script?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 May 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
15 May 2019
mcatalao wrote:
14 May 2019
I don't know if it makes sense for your case.

Do you use multiple screens? Do you have other controllers? And are you on a PC?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

15 May 2019

PS.: The tool I'm using for this is called autohotkey:

https://www.autohotkey.com/

There is a tool that generates code for this, and record macros based on your clicks. However... I'm a geek and i like to have more control so every thing is scripted by hand.

Ahornberg

15 May 2019

mcatalao wrote:
15 May 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
15 May 2019

I don't know if it makes sense for your case.

Do you use multiple screens? Do you have other controllers? And are you on a PC?
Sharing is always a good idea because it's not only me. There are lots of others reading this forum.

Yes, I'm on a PC and I use different controllers but only one screen.

Ahornberg

15 May 2019

mcatalao wrote:
15 May 2019
PS.: The tool I'm using for this is called autohotkey:

https://www.autohotkey.com/

There is a tool that generates code for this, and record macros based on your clicks. However... I'm a geek and i like to have more control so every thing is scripted by hand.
Thank you for the link! I will check that out.

dioxide

15 May 2019

Hi all. I recently bought a Console 1 and have been working on reworking Ahornberg's maps for my own use. It's a work in progress as I haven't had much time using the unit yet, and in my experience this tends to change the way you want to map things. As this thread has resurfaced again recently I thought better to share it now so people can try it.

The mapping is designed to be locked to the Master Mix Channel in the Reason mixer. The Mix Channel focus can be moved using the Page +/- buttons on the Console 1. There is no documentation for this, you'll just have to try it and see how you like it. Ideally I'd like to set the Track 1-20 buttons so that they can be used to select a track, but so far I have been unable to do this.

Enjoy! And let me know what you think.
Attachments
Softube Console 1.zip
(20.67 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

Eurikon

19 May 2019

interesting, might check it out.

aren't lpf/hpf assigned to those buttons as well?

dioxide wrote:
15 May 2019
Hi all. I recently bought a Console 1 and have been working on reworking Ahornberg's maps for my own use. It's a work in progress as I haven't had much time using the unit yet, and in my experience this tends to change the way you want to map things. As this thread has resurfaced again recently I thought better to share it now so people can try it.

The mapping is designed to be locked to the Master Mix Channel in the Reason mixer. The Mix Channel focus can be moved using the Page +/- buttons on the Console 1. There is no documentation for this, you'll just have to try it and see how you like it. Ideally I'd like to set the Track 1-20 buttons so that they can be used to select a track, but so far I have been unable to do this.

Enjoy! And let me know what you think.
★ --------------------------------------- ★
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon
https://eurikon.bandcamp.com
https://instagram.com/eurikon_music

dioxide

19 May 2019

nrg wrote:
19 May 2019
Not any more ;)

My aim is to get the Track Select buttons working properly.

Eurikon

20 May 2019

ok, looking forward to that!
dioxide wrote:
19 May 2019
nrg wrote:
19 May 2019
Not any more ;)

My aim is to get the Track Select buttons working properly.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Eurikon
https://eurikon.bandcamp.com
https://instagram.com/eurikon_music

tobypearce

20 Jun 2019

The best solution I've found is to create a keyboard shortcut for "Lock Softube Console 1 to This Device". I used F1.
Then you can use this to change the track focus of the console 1 with a single click - it works quite well.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Ahornberg

20 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
20 Jun 2019
The best solution I've found is to create a keyboard shortcut for "Lock Softube Console 1 to This Device". I used F1.
Then you can use this to change the track focus of the console 1 with a single click - it works quite well.
Great idea! Thanks!

tobypearce

20 Jun 2019

I'm just trying to look through the codecs you have wonderfully put together. I don't suppose you have a table of each of the rotaries and buttons on the console 1 and their corresponding cc values?

Ahornberg

20 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
20 Jun 2019
I'm just trying to look through the codecs you have wonderfully put together. I don't suppose you have a table of each of the rotaries and buttons on the console 1 and their corresponding cc values?
Oh yes, I have one. I hope it helps!
Attachments
Console1Reason.xlsx
(11.51 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

tobypearce

20 Jun 2019

That's absolutely wonderful!
Thanks so much. If I make anything good with it I'll share :-)

gullum

31 Oct 2019

I have finally ordered one and have started mapping, but until I have it next week. I'm not sure it will work as I plan it to work
basically I have an idea of 3 layers
Softube C1L1.png
Softube C1L1.png (138.67 KiB) Viewed 43298 times
layer 1 select channels and all EQ gate and line comp
only set it to select 16 channels because a page in Reason is 8 so using 20 will only confuse
Softube C1L2.png
Softube C1L2.png (129.07 KiB) Viewed 43298 times
Layer 2 is send and inserts for chosen channel
Softube C1LM.png
Softube C1LM.png (127.71 KiB) Viewed 43298 times
Layer 3 is for master section, will build upon this one to add send and returns in some way

this is what I plan for might make changes when I have the device and in worse case it wont work as I planed.

I have had icon qcon pro and EX that I have mapped to everything, so have some experience in custom mapping. I have big hopes for the Console 1

gullum

05 Jan 2020

After several tries I can't get the Select buttons to work so instead I have made shortcuts buttons from the computer keyboard to choose between channel 1 to 8 and 9 to control the mastering stripe. I will upload something later today need to make dinner now

gullum

05 Jan 2020

use the computer keyboard to choose channels 1 to 8 and 9 is always master
use page + and - on the C1 to go to next 8 channels and key 1 to 8 will choose channels 9 to 16 and so on

think the pictures explain most
Softube master.png
Softube master.png (198.03 KiB) Viewed 43085 times
Softube Channels.png
Softube Channels.png (199.76 KiB) Viewed 43085 times
Softube.zip
(23.18 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

Ahornberg

11 Jan 2020

gullum wrote:
05 Jan 2020
use the computer keyboard to choose channels 1 to 8 and 9 is always master
use page + and - on the C1 to go to next 8 channels and key 1 to 8 will choose channels 9 to 16 and so on
Great solution!

JoshC1

15 Jul 2020

Ahornberg wrote:
25 Jan 2016
Here's my final remotemap for Console 1
Does anyone have any idea whether its possible to use (or reconfigure) this remote map to enable me to use my Console 1 to control a channel strip of Fabfilter plugins in Logic?

Ahornberg

16 Jul 2020

JoshC1 wrote:
15 Jul 2020
Ahornberg wrote:
25 Jan 2016
Here's my final remotemap for Console 1
Does anyone have any idea whether its possible to use (or reconfigure) this remote map to enable me to use my Console 1 to control a channel strip of Fabfilter plugins in Logic?
Sorry, but Remote Maps work in Reason only. AFAIK each DAW has its own remote control system.

JoshC1

19 Jul 2020

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use one of the Console 1 knobs as a left/right selector for mixer channels? I’m in the process of setting up the C1 as a plugin / DAW controller for Logic. I’ve asked around on the Logic forums and people seem to think this is physically impossible due to the midi signals this pot it putting out, but the C1’s “Volume/Select” knob is used back default as a L/R selector for the C1 menu and think you can already use it as a channel selector in Studio One etc. Am trying to replicate this behaviour in Logic but regardless of which direction I turn the knob it only selects through the mixer in one direction.

Ahornberg

20 Jul 2020

JoshC1 wrote:
19 Jul 2020
Does anyone know if it’s possible to use one of the Console 1 knobs as a left/right selector for mixer channels? I’m in the process of setting up the C1 as a plugin / DAW controller for Logic. I’ve asked around on the Logic forums and people seem to think this is physically impossible due to the midi signals this pot it putting out, but the C1’s “Volume/Select” knob is used back default as a L/R selector for the C1 menu and think you can already use it as a channel selector in Studio One etc. Am trying to replicate this behaviour in Logic but regardless of which direction I turn the knob it only selects through the mixer in one direction.
In Studio One to select a track, you can NOT use a knob, neither the Pan/Balance-knob, nor the Volume/Select-knob. Track selection in Studio One is done by the 20 track-selection-buttons. The same goes for all DAWs I know that have a deep integration of Console 1. And in this case, the communication between the Console 1 hardware and the DAW is NOT done by MIDI. You have to put a Console 1 VST on every channel. Maybe it's a good idea to contact Softube and/or Apple for further informations (and btw this is a Reason forum).

drloop

12 Feb 2021

I got a Console 1 now. In Reason 11.3.8 I got it working with only one channel at the time. I cant switch channel without locking to the specific channel in mixer.
I would like to select channel in the sequencern.
Any ideas?

Ahornberg

12 Feb 2021

drloop wrote:
12 Feb 2021
I got a Console 1 now. In Reason 11.3.8 I got it working with only one channel at the time. I cant switch channel without locking to the specific channel in mixer.
I would like to select channel in the sequencern.
Any ideas?
Are you using my Remote Map?

• Information