Disney+ slaps content warning for 'outdated cultural depictions' on classic cartoons

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
miscend

18 Nov 2019

I'm glad

Disney’s new streaming service warns fans that they may encounter “outdated cultural depictions” while watching some of its older content.

After its launch on Tuesday, Disney+ users noticed that some of the company's classic content such as “Dumbo” (1941), The Aristocats (1970), “The Jungle Book” (1967) and the original “Lady and the Tramp” (1955) all contain a warning at the end of their respective descriptions. These warnings caution sensitive fans that what they are about to watch contains racial portrayals that might be triggering.
As IGN notes, “Dumbo” has been criticized in the past for depicting two wise-cracking crows that speak in stereotypical African-American voices, played by a white actor. “The Jungle Book” suffers from the same issue with some of its characters, particularly a group of monkeys, being portrayed with negative, dated African and African-American characteristics. Meanwhile, “Lady and the Tramp” features the infamous “We Are Siamese” song performed by two cats speaking in stereotypical Asian accents, drawn with large buck teeth.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/d ... ted-movies

plaamook

02 Jan 2020

Better that than just deleting shit from history. Or trying to.

Bill Cosby was at one point, if I remember correctly, trying to buy the rights to things like Dumbo so he could do the deleting himself. Aparently the crows are offensive. Anyway, turned out he had other problems to go attend to I guess...
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

platzangst

02 Jan 2020

plaamook wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Better that than just deleting shit from history. Or trying to.
"Song of the South" has been unavailable for a very long time, so it's not like they haven't succeeded now and again.

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Jan 2020

miscend wrote:
18 Nov 2019
These warnings caution sensitive fans that what they are about to watch contains racial portrayals that might be triggering.
Well that's all about our time and sensitive people. Fortunately, kids don't read those warnings and such a bullshit can never cross their minds.

Mint

02 Jan 2020

I stopped showing these cartoons to my kids a long time ago...walt disney's racist views are well known.
Last edited by Mint on 02 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

SoulState

02 Jan 2020

The warning is a small acknowledgment of how racist some of there cartoons are. Unfortunately the damage has already been done.
:reason:

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Jan 2020

I think you people are projecting your injured conscience onto the cartoons and authors, which have nothing to do with racism.

SoulState

02 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
02 Jan 2020
I think you people are projecting your injured conscience onto the cartoons and authors, which have nothing to do with racism.
Someone told me once never to debate with a racist apologist (use other means).
So I'll be brief...Fuck off Racist.
:reason:

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Jan 2020

SoulState wrote:
02 Jan 2020
Someone told me once never to debate with a racist apologist (use other means).
So I'll be brief...Fuck off Racist.
Oh, I see. There can be only two opinions, your one and the racist one.
Wake up. War is over. Racism is defeated.

Mint

02 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
02 Jan 2020
. Racism is defeated.
Eh!
So this is the level of political intellect were dealing with here.
How does one begin to debate with someone who thinks racism doesn't exist?

The answer is...you don't.

orthodox
RE Developer

02 Jan 2020

That people move on to witch hunting suggests that their real enemy is not there anymore. It's only in their heads.

plaamook

02 Jan 2020

I don’t know that song.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to start a fight around here.

Though I guess this thread will be locked shortly...

Edit: I just looked it up. Hah! It’s not a song.
Anyway, I don’t really remember that one but it seems familiar. I can see why it’d get up people’s noses.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information