looking to upgrade computer, interface, and possibly daw

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
moneykube

30 Nov 2019

advice... used to love protools until my protools computer died an unpleasant death... since then truggling with 2012 retna mac book pro and reason... not entirely impressed with how it all works... so started looking for advice on best computer fpr reason... best daw... and best interface..... hopefully companies that actually upgrade and not don grade their products or just stop updating drivers... advice needed... tell me your woes and your mind blown moments please... upgrade within a few months by my estimation if all cards fall into place... computer speed... cores,,,, ram the gambit... thank you for your time if you deem this worthy to reply to... and... for the record... very close to ditching the apple platform completely... if I stay apple ... is logic the best bet... if not... options please... I bought 2012 powerbook when protools g5 computer died... reason... it was the only mac computer touted to do the job... well... imo... it does the job but very very poorly from day one.... also... important... the ability to properly edit audio like protools once did with problems but it did do the job and got me through 1000's of tv shows, movies, and music mixes in three separate studios... would be nice to be current in order to get the film work I used to get... new/current seems what the masses want. Noticed new mac tower with few descriptions and yet to be released... that makes me quite nervous... new+bugs bugs bugs... what happened to the old super mac towers... dead like my g5... what happened to apple afyer Jobs passed? really support knows less then me... on phone all day yesterday just trying to reset apple tv... can not even log into icloud... I KNOW it is a sever issue... yet they put me through hell for half a day and icloud still not fixed... can't log in... I want a computer fast enough to actually use the racks I bought like expanse, zero and noxious... they bring my computer grief beyond belief... and support always says... no ... no issue... well I can see the issues... I'm not daft. Reason 10.4... no 11 until I upgrade... and sadly will have to install 10 and 11 just for rewire... man... rs... what are you thinking.... let us in on your plan please... your terms say you can say what u want and not do it... well say something... user since 2.5 upgraded countless times... this time I see no value in 11... I also find logic ... illogical... what about this for 2 of the 3... ? https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/push/
https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/push/
Last edited by moneykube on 01 Dec 2019, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

xboix

30 Nov 2019

Warning: Facetious reply follows...

When you get your new PC make sure it has a working Enter key.

- Facetiousness ends. -

moneykube

30 Nov 2019

xboix wrote:
30 Nov 2019
Warning: Facetious reply follows...

When you get your new PC make sure it has a working Enter key.

- Facetiousness ends. -
More good advice could hardly be packed into one sentence than that is there.
robert fripp

Last edited by moneykube on 30 Nov 2019, edited 5 times in total.

student9v

30 Nov 2019

Last edited by student9v on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

30 Nov 2019

ok ??? too much text... to much info... if tired come again :puf_wink:

diminished
    Competition Winner

30 Nov 2019

Before considering any upgrades, have you tried setting your color profile to sRGB? I've read plenty of times that Reason has terrible performance on retina macs.

Also, tried a different audio interface with different drivers? And what are you currently using as an audio interface, with what buffer size settings?

Unless you're using a very old PC with, say, 2GB RAM and a shitty CPU, the audio interface and buffer settings affect performance more than anything. And you can get some extra leeway in later stages of the productions if you increase said buffer size. As a rule of thumb for older computers, record with small buffer size, arrange and mix with a large one.
    :reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

moneykube

30 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
    30 Nov 2019
    Before considering any upgrades, have you tried setting your color profile to sRGB? I've read plenty of times that Reason has terrible performance on retina macs.

Also, tried a different audio interface with different drivers? And what are you currently using as an audio interface, with what buffer size settings?

Unless you're using a very old PC with, say, 2GB RAM and a shitty CPU, the audio interface and buffer settings affect performance more than anything. And you can get some extra leeway in later stages of the productions if you increase said buffer size. As a rule of thumb for older computers, record with small buffer size, arrange and mix with a large one.
    yes on rgb... many buffer experiments, the usual turn off multicore and such
    .. interface ... possible issue digi 002 no current drivers(allows mic in and guitar... midi sluggish and issues... bought midiman radium midi control,,, so far tests positive but MANY tests to go,,, might be able to upgrade and been sitting on a system that just refuses to upgrade past original os without major issues... 4 months pulling hair attempting thousands of approaches.. appple support blah blah(knew more then a manager there lol) and time went out the window... really fed up... would like to own something somewhat future compatable... that WORKS... and actually does what it says it does... just once in my 40 years of computers... the past apps and systems actually came closer to delivering, then these new watered down phone oriented apps of this bright new age.. I got computers 25/30 years old that still work... and do the job"slowly"/// but do the job they stated they would do ... times have changed looking at most terms for sites... been burnt on a computers 2/3 major times... no to a 4th I hope.. trust no corporation !

EdGrip

30 Nov 2019

A couple of thoughts:
    If you're unsure you'll stick with the Apple platform, either now or 5 years down the line (I keep seeing bits and pieces about Apple's direction not being the solid pro platform it once was), maybe it's best to invest this learning time in a cross-platform DAW rather than Logic. If you're familiar with Pro Tools, maybe try that again - or look at Studio One or Cubase for a similar "linear DAW" environment. Logic seems to win for included content, but this is not your first rodeo so you probably have plenty of sample libraries and plugins of your own.

If you want to try something different, I can say I'm still having loads of fun playing with Ableton Suite and Push 2. It's definitely a different way of thinking and "play" is very much central to it.

Oquasec

30 Nov 2019

i usually just use any daw. I dont really need a bulletin for daws.
    Producer/Programmer.
    Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jam-s

30 Nov 2019

moneykube wrote:
    30 Nov 2019
    advice... used to love protools un till my protools computer died an unpleasant death... since then truggling with 2012 retna mac book pro and reason... not ebtireky impressed with how it all works... so started looking for advice on best computer fpr reason... best daw... and best interface..... hopefully companies that actually upgrade and not don grade their products or just stop updating drivers... advice needed... tell me your woes and your mind blown moments please... upgrade within a few months by my estimation if all cards fall into place... computer speed... cores,,,, ram the gambit... thank you for your time if you deem this worthy to reply to... and... for the record... very close to ditching the apple platform completely... if I stay apple ... is logic the best bet... if not... options please... I bought 2012 powerbook when protools g5 computer died... feason... it was the only mac computer touted to do the job... well... imo... it does the job but very very poorly from day one.... also... important... the ability to properly edit audio like protools once did with problems but it did do the job and got me through 1000's of tv shows, movies, and music mixes in three separate studios... would be nice to be current in order to get the film work I used to get... new/current seems what the masses want. Noticed new mac tower with few discriptions and yet to be released... that makes me quite nervous... new+bugs bugs bugs... what happened to the old super mac towers... dead like my g5... what happened to apple afyer Jobs passed? really support knows less then me... on phone all day yesterday just trying to reset apple tv... can not even log into icloud... I KNOW it is a sever issue... yet they put me through hell for half a day and icloud still not fixed... can't log in... I want a computer fast enough to actually use the racks I bought like expanse, zero and noxious... they bring my computer grief beyond belief... and support always says... no ... no issue... well I can see the issues... I'm not daft. Reason 10.4... no 11 until I upgrade... and sadly will have to install 10 and 11 just for rewire... man... rs... what are you thinking.... let us in on your plan please... your terms say you can say what u want and not do it... well say something... user since 2.5 upgraded countless times... this time I see no value in 11... I also find logic ... illogical... what about this for 2 of the 3... ? https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/push/

Wow, that REALLY looks like a wall of text. Good job, there mate. ;)

moneykube

01 Dec 2019

ha ha... tried to be exact,,, yup many words

benjified

01 Dec 2019

moneykube wrote:
    01 Dec 2019
    Try breaking up your points into paragraphs and space them out. It's not the amount of words, it's the unconventional... stream... of thought... broken up only... by dot dot dot...

Sorry to riff on you like that, but we want to help, only it's difficult to read what you're trying to say. You can keep your stream of thought style, I don't mind. I don't even mind misspelling (as long as the meaning is clear) and a lack of punctuation, but break things up a bit please.

Yours truly,

me

benjified

01 Dec 2019

Piggybacking off your issues, I'm in a similar boat with my late 2013 iMac 21.5". I stupidly opted for the quad core with the 5200rpm hard drive instead of a SSD. Later on I got a Thunderbolt/USB3 external SSD and installed the OS and everything on that. It's been fine, although often it won't automatically boot on that drive and instead try to boot from the internal slowness.

Lately the drive is acting up. Sometimes it won't boot at all on the Thunderbolt port so I connect it up with USB. I also get freezes, but weird freezes. Applications don't respond, but I have move the mouse cursor around. I may have to crack this thing open and put a proper SSD in it, but it's a tricky job.

I'm also clumsy AF.

I might just opt for a Windows PC.

guitfnky

01 Dec 2019

moneykube wrote:
    01 Dec 2019
    meet

my

good

friend,

the

carriage

return.

😆
    I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

moneykube

01 Dec 2019

REwritten for those that had an issue with my attempt at getting help.

I need advice.

I used to love protools until my protools computer died an unpleasant death... since then I have been struggling with 2012 retna mac book pro and reason, and not entirely impressed with how it all works

so started looking for advice on best computer for reason, best alternate daw, and best interface

hopefully from companies that actually upgrade and not down grade their products or just stop updating drivers...

I plan to upgrade within a few months by my estimation, if all cards fall into place...

please discuss computer speed, number of cores,, and proper amount of ram.

thank you for your time if you deem this worthy to reply to...

For the record... very close to ditching the apple platform completely

If I stay with apple, is logic the best best daw?

I bought 2012 powerbook when protools g5 computer died.

The reason for my choice, after much research, it was the only mac computer touted to do the job.

imo... it does the job but acted very poorly from day one.

What is mportant to me is the ability to properly edit audio like protools once did with some problems, but it did do the job and got me through 1000's of tv shows, movies, and music mixes in three separate studios.

It would be nice to be tech current, in order to get the film work I used to get... new/current seems what the masses want.

I noticed a new mac tower with few descriptions and yet to be released... that makes me quite nervous... new equals bugs bugs and more bugs.

What happened to the old super mac towers... dead like my g5?... and what what happened to apple after Jobs passed away?

It seem Apple support knows less then me, as I was on phone all day yesterday just trying to reset apple tv!

I can no longer even log into icloud.

I KNOW it is a server issue, yet they put me through hell for half a day and icloud access is still not fixed.

I want a computer fast enough to actually use the racks I bought like expanse, zero and noxious as they bring my computer grief beyond belief.

Support always says... no ... no issue! Well I can see the issues every day and they are real.

Using Reason 10.4... will not upgrade to 11 until hardware is set up and running.

Sadly, I will have to install 10 and 11 just for rewire...

RS... what are you thinking.? Let us in on your plan please!

Your terms say you can say what u want and not do it, meaning you are able to say something regardless if true or not with no penalty! So please address these issues. I have been down the support route more times then I can count and never get anywhere.

I have been a user since 2.5 and I have indeed upgraded countless times.

At this time I see no value in 11... I also find logic ... illogical... what about this for 2 of the 3... ? https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/push/

zoidkirb

01 Dec 2019

Ableton Live is good, as long as you get at least Suite. Push is even better if you can afford it. Live with it's instrument racks and the Max for Live modulations is maybe the closest experience to Reason. I'd consider both programs to be in a similar 'creative' class of daw. Bitwig might even be a better option in that regard but I haven't used it.

reggie1979

01 Dec 2019

Ableton is a confusing mess imho.

I think what you are looking for (based on what I've gathered) is something reliable that isn't Reason but can be used on OS(whatever)

Am I wrong so far? If not..........

Consider Studio One if Not for Reason. It offers MANY things and though not bug-free, it's a golden option. Runs on Mac or PC and is pretty spectacular.

As far as computers are considered, this is dependent on your cash flow. If you have the cash to follow the mac trend, it's not the worst. For those huge cash sums they seem to offer a terrific computer. But if you don't have that coin, a PC is desirable. You can get a monster for a better sum, but you have to know doze. It's totally cool, but some people don't like the adjustment period.

moneykube

04 Dec 2019

looking at the outrageous apple prices... I am leaning toward a mac mini i7... any warnings if I take this path?

guitfnky

04 Dec 2019

if you’re concerned about cost, I’d say you don’t have to worry about ditching the Apple ecosystem. I used a Macbook and top-end iMac for years, but switched to PC when I decided I couldn’t afford to drop another 3 grand on a new computer.

I put together my own PC for around a grand about 4 years ago, and it’s still plugging away, no different than my iMac had. a third of the cost and more powerful than the higher end updated iMacs at the time. if I hadn’t gone with a $300 video card for gaming, it would’ve been even more affordable.

and I haven’t had any issues with Windows either. infinitely more stable and usable than it had been back in the early/mid 2000s. it’s largely as solid as Mac OS was for me.
    I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

edx500

31 Dec 2019

I've been building my own computers for almost 20 years. In 2001 I was using Cubase bur I migrated to Reason 4 around 10-12 (?) years ago. There are many great DAWs out there but I've never been too attracted to Apple software, or hardware, with the exception of Mainstage. Still the idea of spending 2-3K to get an adequate system always seemed too rich for me.

Apple seems to abandon its older systems so that after a few years you're left on your own. Plus they don't want you digging inside your computer or changing out parts. Even RAM I hear!
    Like someone said earlier, Window 10 is pretty stable these days. It takes care of a lot of update and driver housekeeping chores for you now.

kinkujin

02 Jan 2020

Apple seems to abandon its older systems so that after a few years you're left on your own. Plus they don't want you digging inside your computer or changing out parts. Even RAM I hear!

Well, I have a cheese grater from the 2nd iteration and it still works great. Old OS of course. I only upgraded (to 2012 vintage) in order to run latest DAW software(s). I'll be staying put in Apple until the next generation i can afford used. If I had all the software I needed to run on windows I might switch back, but for now I'm very happy, though I am NOT a power user.

Honestly, I can see myself doing all I need on ios in the future. Hopefully, Reason will eventually go that way as I see the writing on the wall and most software will go that way. If you are into midi only NanoStudio 2 is the bomb. There is so much exciting stuff happening on that platform. Touch is the future (and the today in many cases) - the hardware just needs to be a bit more robust and it will serve most hobbyists. Eventually everyone IMO.

fullforce

04 Jan 2020

moneykube wrote:
    30 Nov 2019
    advice... used to love protools until my protools computer died an unpleasant death... since then truggling with 2012 retna mac book pro and reason... not entirely impressed with how it all works... so started looking for advice on best computer fpr reason... best daw... and best interface..... hopefully companies that actually upgrade and not don grade their products or just stop updating drivers... advice needed... tell me your woes and your mind blown moments please... upgrade within a few months by my estimation if all cards fall into place... computer speed... cores,,,, ram the gambit... thank you for your time if you deem this worthy to reply to... and... for the record... very close to ditching the apple platform completely... if I stay apple ... is logic the best bet... if not... options please... I bought 2012 powerbook when protools g5 computer died... reason... it was the only mac computer touted to do the job... well... imo... it does the job but very very poorly from day one.... also... important... the ability to properly edit audio like protools once did with problems but it did do the job and got me through 1000's of tv shows, movies, and music mixes in three separate studios... would be nice to be current in order to get the film work I used to get... new/current seems what the masses want. Noticed new mac tower with few descriptions and yet to be released... that makes me quite nervous... new+bugs bugs bugs... what happened to the old super mac towers... dead like my g5... what happened to apple afyer Jobs passed? really support knows less then me... on phone all day yesterday just trying to reset apple tv... can not even log into icloud... I KNOW it is a sever issue... yet they put me through hell for half a day and icloud still not fixed... can't log in... I want a computer fast enough to actually use the racks I bought like expanse, zero and noxious... they bring my computer grief beyond belief... and support always says... no ... no issue... well I can see the issues... I'm not daft. Reason 10.4... no 11 until I upgrade... and sadly will have to install 10 and 11 just for rewire... man... rs... what are you thinking.... let us in on your plan please... your terms say you can say what u want and not do it... well say something... user since 2.5 upgraded countless times... this time I see no value in 11... I also find logic ... illogical... what about this for 2 of the 3... ? https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/push/
    What the hell?
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information