Synapse Audio's next synth might skip RE format

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
miscend

19 Dec 2019

After the massive success of the Legend they're now working on an Oberheim OB-XA emulation and its about to hit beta. The only problem is that it's looking unlikely they'll be an RE version.
Synapse Audio wrote:Good question, we haven't really decided yet. We designed the UI such that we can squeeze it into the Reason rack, we also use the same framework as for The Legend. So technically it is possible, the question is if it's worth it.

On the one hand the native RE integration is better in the rack (& we can add CV inputs), but on the other hand, the lack of native AVX support will cause a CPU penalty, and there may be some minor features not portable.

So most likely we'll start with VST/AU, then take it from there and see what happens.

Richard
p.s. Yes it is the OB-XA :)

BRIGGS

19 Dec 2019

:cry:
r11s

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2019

I'm probably just speaking for myself, and on this forum and in this section I know how you will react, but it's like who cares if they don't make it an RE. REs are done.

I'll be all over the VST/AU plus I'll STILL be able to use it in Reason - with all of its features and CPU efficiency intact.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

manisnotabird

19 Dec 2019

Is there any difference between how an RE handles CV input in Reason, versus how a VST in Reason handles CV input into the back of the VST device?

Loque

19 Dec 2019

manisnotabird wrote:
19 Dec 2019
Is there any difference between how an RE handles CV input in Reason, versus how a VST in Reason handles CV input into the back of the VST device?
If a RE supports CV natively, than yes. Otherwise both are like automation. And a RE could also support audio rate CV via audio inputs/outputs.
Reason12, Win10

BananaSkins

20 Dec 2019

Yep I buy way more VST’s than RE’s so VST is good for me. Using more than one DAW means VST’s are way more compatible across the board.

friday

20 Dec 2019

Reason Studio listen and implement AVX in the RE SDK, simple as that. Otherwise you will get in the same situation as with U-He and the SSE drama.

Ermitage

20 Dec 2019

friday wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Reason Studio listen and implement AVX in the RE SDK, simple as that. Otherwise you will get in the same situation as with U-He and the SSE drama.
To quote the man (Urs) himself:

"Note that we have 10 employees on the payroll now, and our 9 REs together contribute less than 2% to revenues. We have to spend our time responsibly, and we have already lost a year or more just porting things to VST2 64-bit Mac, AAX (+ PACE signing), RE, VST3 (disaster!), signed AU, signed installers, Mavericks. We're fed up with plug-in format issues. We would like to spend some quality time with creative tasks rather than compatibility issues. Unfortunately RE has always involved tedious updates to the SDK and approval rules..."

I'd imagine the same applies to Synapse Audio, even if they've been more successful in the RE shop than U-he. The marketshare of REs is just too small for established developers to bother with, I'm afraid.

dezma

20 Dec 2019

Yes, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be as a developer.

Makes me think of the spire story.. everyone asking them to port to RE, then a few weeks before it's finished Reason 9.5 launches..

Loque

20 Dec 2019

Ermitage wrote:
20 Dec 2019
friday wrote:
20 Dec 2019
To quote the man (Urs) himself:

"Note that we have 10 employees on the payroll now, and our 9 REs together contribute less than 2% to revenues. We have to spend our time responsibly, and we have already lost a year or more just porting things to VST2 64-bit Mac, AAX (+ PACE signing), RE, VST3 (disaster!), signed AU, signed installers, Mavericks. We're fed up with plug-in format issues. We would like to spend some quality time with creative tasks rather than compatibility issues. Unfortunately RE has always involved tedious updates to the SDK and approval rules..."

I'd imagine the same applies to Synapse Audio, even if they've been more successful in the RE shop than U-he. The marketshare of REs is just too small for established developers to bother with, I'm afraid.
Well, this "1" year was not only for porting to RE. And if i read the problems about going to 64bit and other formats like VST3 and so on, you clearly have a general problem in your architecture. Signing is a different story, but as soon as you figured out how it works and integrate it into your pipeline, its done. And by all those whining i read in the last years from Urs, hey, its the job of the devs (and probably ppl around them) to do exactly this, so no need to whine and cry...

Maybe some devs should keep in mind, that Reasonstudios made it quite easily(!?) to port their RE to VST. RE also provides quite secure copyprotection, marketplace, installers, and so on. All this saves money and time. A VST need to have this all on its own and do not forget, its not only developing, you also have testing. The challange here for Reasonstudios is, if they want to keep the RE alive, to make it easy to port to VST and or AU and need to make it easier for devs, to have flexible GUIs and better CPU utilization.
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2019

This would be solved if propellerhead makes a rack for vst
the only thing that people want is to place the vst as REs
then everyone happy

Ermitage

20 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Well, this "1" year was not only for porting to RE. And if i read the problems about going to 64bit and other formats like VST3 and so on, you clearly have a general problem in your architecture. Signing is a different story, but as soon as you figured out how it works and integrate it into your pipeline, its done. And by all those whining i read in the last years from Urs, hey, its the job of the devs (and probably ppl around them) to do exactly this, so no need to whine and cry...

Maybe some devs should keep in mind, that Reasonstudios made it quite easily(!?) to port their RE to VST. RE also provides quite secure copyprotection, marketplace, installers, and so on. All this saves money and time. A VST need to have this all on its own and do not forget, its not only developing, you also have testing. The challange here for Reasonstudios is, if they want to keep the RE alive, to make it easy to port to VST and or AU and need to make it easier for devs, to have flexible GUIs and better CPU utilization.
So you're saying devs should make their plugins in RE format and then convert them to VST? Again, the bigger players have no real financial incentive to do so, plus technical constraints in the format makes it even less appealing.

EdGrip

20 Dec 2019

I wonder if they could do audio inputs for audio-rate modulation on the VST wrapper-combi. Any parameter, audio rate modulation.

I assume it's not possible for technical reasons or someone would have done it...

scratchnsnifff

20 Dec 2019

hurricane wrote:
19 Dec 2019
I'm probably just speaking for myself, and on this forum and in this section I know how you will react, but it's like who cares if they don't make it an RE. REs are done.

I'll be all over the VST/AU plus I'll STILL be able to use it in Reason - with all of its features and CPU efficiency intact.

But as much as you love using vst, others love using Re format

It’s just a matter of preference.
I absolutely adore dune 2/3
But in a perfect world the props would make the sdk able to have such an in depth synth.

Re isn’t dead, it’s just going through growing pains. I think that every now and then we’ll see new developers like blamsoft take the Re market, currently lectric panda and robotic bean have been killing it. Others have been as well, I just think that getting companies like NI on board will be near impossible
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2019

Would be really nice if they made it a RE. Considering how much I love Synapse stuff I'd most likely buy the RE if they made it. But if it's only VST then I'll skip. I just really dislike all the floating windows and also I hate to create extra accounts for different companies.

kinkujin

20 Dec 2019

I'd rather RE's than vst. More convenient to me and works like a charm. Would I like to take me RE's elsewhere, yeah I guess, but whatever. I can't be bothered anymore to upgrade, update, have vst companies go out, and then get a new computer and lose the liscense, etc.

But, that's just me. That being said, I want me some Valhalla.

Loque

20 Dec 2019

EdGrip wrote:
20 Dec 2019
I wonder if they could do audio inputs for audio-rate modulation on the VST wrapper-combi. Any parameter, audio rate modulation.

I assume it's not possible for technical reasons or someone would have done it...
Its already possible. The VST just need to use the audio inouts...
Reason12, Win10

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Re isn’t dead, it’s just going through growing pains.
REs have been around for almost 8 years now. I don't think I would call this "growing pains". Most of the big players are already out and don't appear to be coming back.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

friday

20 Dec 2019

Maybe this new secret thing that is coming in 2020 is some kind of hardware that can run RE's, then it would get interesting again for developers?!?

Loque

20 Dec 2019

friday wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Maybe this new secret thing that is coming in 2020 is some kind of hardware that can run RE's, then it would get interesting again for developers?!?
Oh...Well, while it sounds interesting i am not that interested since i do not have enough room for more in my amazng big studio :-D
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2019
friday wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Oh...Well, while it sounds interesting i am not that interested since i do not have enough room for more in my amazng big studio :-D
I seem to remember that there already is hardware which can load stuff like Europa but I might have dreamt that. In any case, if RS brings out some sort of hardware I wouldn’t even think about it. Balance was on the market a very short time before they discontinued it and dropped all support.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

20 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2019

I seem to remember that there already is hardware which can load stuff like Europa but I might have dreamt that. In any case, if RS brings out some sort of hardware I wouldn’t even think about it. Balance was on the market a very short time before they discontinued it and dropped all support.
Yea, there was also a RE which had a dedicated hardware controller available. Forgot its name and dunno if its still sold in the shop.
Reason12, Win10

retreed
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Yea, there was also a RE which had a dedicated hardware controller available. Forgot its name and dunno if its still sold in the shop.
You are looking for this hidden device:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

Loque

20 Dec 2019

retreed wrote:
20 Dec 2019
Loque wrote:
20 Dec 2019
You are looking for this hidden device:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
Ah, yea, right :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

m.arthur

20 Dec 2019

This is neither surprising nor problematic. Reason can run VSTs now. We don't need the new Synapse synth as an RE.

Did you complain when Dune 3 was announced and wasn't available as an RE? Dune 2? That's their flagship synth, and it's not an RE.

• Information