Reason and OBS.... no audio... windows...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2019

So, back in time, I made some videos of Reason with audio capturing, and a microphone, the mic going into some dedicated audio input
on my motu firewire, and everything was okay... except my videos of course...

So now, after a couple of resetting of the system for a number of problems with windows updates and some programs that did not unistall everything... I went on the idea of making SOME NEW VIDS. But... no sound from reason into Obs at all...

The odd thing is that I do not get any sound on the windows output meter also... listening to a web radio from a browser, o a song from a player, I can see the windows meter giving some visual feedback, and obs listen correctly.

I changed every setting on Obs, re-routed back the output to some free inputs, and pointed obs there.... nothing...
W^*$W**&W%)>>>????

OKay, so apparently Reason is using my Motu audiocard but not exclusively... remember when I had slower tempo exports while anything else than Reason was open at the same time? I had two sample rates set, one for the system, and one for reason, and the rendering of reason did not get what was my choice basically...

but, anyway, has anyone issues with recording reason into obs using other than deafult soundcard???
:shock: :shock: :shock:

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2019

OBS doesn't support ASIO.
But there is a workaround.
Put the free ReaStream plugin (from Reaper) at the end of your signal chain in Reason. Set it to send audio as a "local broadcast". Specify your identifier and remember it.
In OBS, add Audio Output Capture to your sources, right click that list item, select "Filters", and add an instance of ReaStream which you set up to RECEIVE that local broadcast Reason sends ( = enter the identifier, set ReaStream to receive) .

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mjxl

19 Dec 2019

I use VoiceMeeter (Banana) for this.
I think i explained the situation in a different topic some time ago.

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Dec 2019

To both of you, tnx.

mjxl

20 Dec 2019

Did you get stuff working?

w1pl0c

20 Dec 2019

2 audio interfaces!

Aquila

20 Dec 2019

I stream to a spare laptop with an elgato game capture - the original version, which has analog audio inputs.

adfielding

21 Dec 2019

I haven't tried this myself, but I've seen it mentioned a few times for this specific problem.
https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio

w1pl0c

21 Dec 2019

Heres a link of my 2 interface results running Reason, OBS, Ableton, and Apollo (Launchpad):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/524270411

guitfnky

02 Jul 2020

diminished wrote:
19 Dec 2019
Put the free ReaStream plugin (from Reaper) at the end of your signal chain in Reason. Set it to send audio as a "local broadcast". Specify your identifier and remember it.
In OBS, add Audio Output Capture to your sources, right click that list item, select "Filters", and add an instance of ReaStream which you set up to RECEIVE that local broadcast Reason sends ( = enter the identifier, set ReaStream to receive) .

I hate to necro a thread just for this (okay, no I don't)--but thank you!!! I tried a while back to get OBS working with Voicemeeter, but it was impossible to get a workable setup for some reason. I tried again this week, and spent a few hours trying to figure out how I might be able to use it, but same results. your solution took all of 3 minutes to set up, and it's working flawlessly, so far.

I guess Voicemeeter must be good when it works, since people seem to love it, but it's not very well laid-out IMO, and for me at least, the audio was a garbled mess. ReaStream is brilliantly simple.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

pushedbutton

02 Jul 2020

I've got obs working with ASIO, there's an obs addon for it, works great.
https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio
there ya go.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

kuhliloach

03 Jul 2020

2 interfaces 1 pc. Use balanced cables to connect the outputs of one interface to the other. You will be in OBS heaven, with your voice going thru DAW FX. No virtual cables. There is no substitute.

guitfnky

03 Jul 2020

kuhliloach wrote:
03 Jul 2020
2 interfaces 1 pc. Use balanced cables to connect the outputs of one interface to the other. You will be in OBS heaven, with your voice going thru DAW FX. No virtual cables. There is no substitute.
do you have to use ASIO4ALL for that? might be worthwhile if you have/want a dual interface setup, but for me, that would be huge overkill—I’ve already got 16 ins/outs as it is, so I definitely don’t want to buy another interface just to physically patch them together.

ReaStream doesn’t require a whole lot of thinking in terms of routing (unlike Voicemeeter)—it’s a hell of a lot more “set-and-forget”. my other option would have been to try the github fix for OBS that others have mentioned, but at this point, I probably won’t need to bother.

mjxl

12 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jul 2020
ReaStream doesn’t require a whole lot of thinking in terms of routing (unlike Voicemeeter)
Actually, after installing Voicemeeter you only need to set audio device in Reason. Can't get any easier.

guitfnky

12 Jul 2020

mjxl wrote:
12 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Jul 2020
ReaStream doesn’t require a whole lot of thinking in terms of routing (unlike Voicemeeter)
Actually, after installing Voicemeeter you only need to set audio device in Reason. Can't get any easier.
except that if it doesn’t work out of the box, you have to learn how to use it in order to start to troubleshoot. in my case, that meant a few hours learning the underlying structure of Voicemeeter and trying everything I could to get a usable result. reaStream makes much more sense to me. set the output channel in Reason, and make sure it matches your input channel in OBS, and you’re done.

it also has the added benefit of not being so bloated with unnecessary stuff (for my purposes) the way Voicemeeter is. and most importantly, it actually works—literally unable to get a working solution with Voicemeeter in Reason.

so I would have to disagree that it can’t get easier. it can get a LOT easier. :lol:

kuhliloach

12 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jul 2020
kuhliloach wrote:
03 Jul 2020
do you have to use ASIO4ALL for that? might be worthwhile if you have/want a dual interface setup, but for me, that would be huge overkill—I’ve already got 16 ins/outs as it is, so I definitely don’t want to buy another interface just to physically patch them together.

ReaStream doesn’t require a whole lot of thinking in terms of routing (unlike Voicemeeter)—it’s a hell of a lot more “set-and-forget”. my other option would have been to try the github fix for OBS that others have mentioned, but at this point, I probably won’t need to bother.
No in this scenario I use the manufacturer ASIO drivers. This is the most mindless and useful setup I have tried.

guitfnky

12 Jul 2020

kuhliloach wrote:
12 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Jul 2020

No in this scenario I use the manufacturer ASIO drivers. This is the most mindless and useful setup I have tried.
interesting...how are you using two interfaces simultaneously in Windows if not with some sort of aggregate device like ASIO4ALL?

kuhliloach

12 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
12 Jul 2020
interesting...how are you using two interfaces simultaneously in Windows if not with some sort of aggregate device like ASIO4ALL?
Nothing special in Win7, just plugged both of them in! In OBS I set the receiving interface as Settings > Audio > Mic / Auxiliary. Both devices show up in Device Manager.

guitfnky

12 Jul 2020

kuhliloach wrote:
12 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
12 Jul 2020
Nothing special in Win7, just plugged both of them in! In OBS I set the receiving interface as Settings > Audio > Mic / Auxiliary. Both devices show up in Device Manager.
nice! I don’t have a second interface to try it on Win 10, but hey, if it works, it works!

WithReason

31 Jan 2021

diminished wrote:
19 Dec 2019

Need further help:
1. I have installed this ReaStream.
2. To Reason 11 Suite I added an audio track, selected my Yamaha Steinberg UR 22 mkII input 1 which is my mic.
3. I dragged the above that shows up as reastream-standalone to the bottom of the rack.
4. I chose open on this vst and named the identifier ReasonToOBS.
5. Chose Send aduio/MIDI; IP and set it to local broadcast (was not sure which chanel to choose so I tried leaving at 2 then later 1). I see the output level bars bouncing on it.
6. In OBS vs 26.1.1 I went to the source section a the bottom and pressed the + button to add Audio Output Capture. I chose Create new and gave it the name GiveMeReason and pressed OK.
7. A new window opened with a field "Device" Default. I see nothing on the list that relates so I left as default and pressed OK.
8. I right clicked the GiveMeReason in the Sources and chose filters, then pressed the + button. There are about 10 items on the list such as Compressor, Gain, and VST 2 Plugin. Nothing there seems right so I chose VST 2 Plugin as the best hope.
9. A new window asks "Please specify filter" it has a default of VST 2 Plugin. I tried leaving like that and also tried naming it to ReasonToOBS wich is my identifier for reastream.
10. The window then shows VST 2 Plug-in selector which shows me a great number of VST plugins that I have installed but nothing related to my identifier ReasonToOBS. The best hope was the reastream-standalone but choosing this did not help.
11. The GiveMeReason meter in the Audio Mixer shows no life.

Have I take the wrong road very early in this process? I have spent a few hours on reading the instructions in this post. Where have I gone wrong?

pushedbutton

01 Feb 2021

all I can say is this... https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio ... works for me.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Tiny Montgomery

01 Feb 2021

Coincidentally I did this yesterday after much faffing so me and my mate can collab over Zoom

As I only have a focusrite 2i4 I had to do it this way:

Restream vst2 plugin on after the master and before the audio out in Reason

I used VB cable free (and then paid 5 euros for 2 extra). First VB cable is the device for the DAW input in OBS. Use the Restream VST2 on the filter. In the OBS audio settings this channel needs to be set to "Monitor and output"

Then when you want to output to wherever (in my case Zoom) use a spare VB cable to take audio from OBS. In ZOOM I can now share screen with studio quality sound coming from the DAW but still speak though my laptop mic.

Havent looked at the video side yet but this worked like a dream for share screen in Zoom and it also worked in Ableton.

WithReason

01 Feb 2021

pushedbutton wrote:
01 Feb 2021
all I can say is this... https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio ... works for me.
I also tried this.
I have installed this the day and spent some hours trying to configure that as well.
I could not find where to select that ASIO.
My Reason requires that I use the Yamaha Steiberg ...so how should I apply this other ASIO in OBS... would you mind proving a bit more details? I would really appreciate!

In regards to the other solution using other cables... are you talking about hard wire cable or virtual cables within Reason rack? If hard wire, I thought the whole purpose of this VST was to be able to process the sound with software?

I guess I could try coming out of the headphone jack of my Steinberg and into into the mic jack of my computer and somehow selecting that within OBS... this seems to be an awkward idea.

Billy+

01 Feb 2021

I use a cable from outputs 3/4 from my audio interface and run it into the audio in on the back of my Mac.

Inside Reason I use a spider audio merger and send the main output plus an audio channel that I have my mic connected to on input1.

No extra software is needed and then inside OBS I use the Macs internal audio interface which receives a mix of reasons master output with the mic feed.
Last edited by Billy+ on 01 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Billy+

01 Feb 2021

IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2471.JPG (103.48 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG (77.24 KiB) Viewed 4524 times
I've also recently got this for the voice over chain, and use a mclass limited on the split going into OBS.

Last edited by Billy+ on 01 Feb 2021, edited 2 times in total.

• Information