Patch Randomising

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mjxl

18 Dec 2019

'Sup everybody !

I've been busy on a thing again, this time i'm randomising devices via Carly(PoohBear)s Randomiser Banks, some JavaScript and the WebMidi.js library.

A small clip of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoZkg6JOpnU

Updated looks! :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhr8C-mvhEA

State now:

Now i'd like to finalize this little project and make it usable for everyone, but I need some feedback on it.

I'm unsure if the names and id's of the MIDI in/outputs are the same for everyone, this is where i'd like some information/confirmation from you guys.
Please install the codec/remotemap files as usual (Carlys dropbox, linked underneath his video)

The page to start randomising: mjxl.net/remoter
I've now included a Help section on this page instead of a seperate page (for the midi info) !

It should look something like this:
(I went from Console logging to a straightup "Help" section on the page)
Help Section.png
Help Section.png (79.49 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
I hope I can make a few more things a bit more streamlined and elegant with your guys' feedback !

Cheers o/

/edit: Randomiser Banks information:
All information you need is in this video:

A short version:
Install LoopMIDI (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software.html) + create 4 ports called "Random Bank1" (up to 4 obviously)
Install remotemap + codec (HERE) into the correct folder (X:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Remote)
Open .remotemap in your browser on www.mjxl.net/remoter
Select parameters and press Send MIDI :)

/edit2: Since Random Bank1 is HUGE, here are copies with just RE's or vst`s:
https://mjxl.net/remoter/Random%20Bank1 ... .remotemap
https://mjxl.net/remoter/Random%20Bank1 ... .remotemap
Last edited by mjxl on 28 Aug 2020, edited 7 times in total.

adfielding

21 Dec 2019

Sounds like a really cool project! Unfortunately I can't really help out until the new year, but wanted to at least express my interest in the meantime :)

Zac

21 Dec 2019

adfielding wrote:
21 Dec 2019
Sounds like a really cool project! Unfortunately I can't really help out until the new year, but wanted to at least express my interest in the meantime :)
+1, meant to reply sooner. Not sure what help I can be but a big :thumbs_up: from me.

mjxl

21 Dec 2019

Thanks guys, you only need Randomiser remotemap+codec installed and LoopMIDI ! (added info in the 1st post)

I updated the javascript! We don't need my edited .remotemap files anymore, and this change also sped up the loading.

Loading Random Bank1 can still take quite some time, it's a huge file with over 120.000 lines in it.
I've split them in 2 pieces for this. (RE / VST)

I've now added a "Help" section on the remoter page, instead of having a seperate page with the MIDI info's!
www.mjxl.net/remoter

mjxl

23 Dec 2019

Edited the page a little bit again, this time I've removed the console logging and instead use an actual "Help" section on the page itself.
Accessible by the button top right, you will be presented with this screen:

mjxl

25 Dec 2019

Did some work on it again, it kinda feels like it's an actual thing with a good UI etc now!
Have a look :D !

sdst
Competition Winner

25 Dec 2019

this proves that this man was ahead of time

mjxl

25 Dec 2019

sdst wrote:
25 Dec 2019
this proves that this man was ahead of time
ye lol. Randomize all the things !

mjxl

13 Jan 2020

Just a little update,i had a faulty last function. Accidently replaced a word with 'replace all'.

I fixed this and also added the ability to 'install' it as web app! Yay (it has a test icon atm, will replace that soon)
I've only tested this on Windows, but i think Mac OS should also work.

loopeydoug

31 Jul 2020

I got it up and running on my system. My only trouble lied in "Please match the output with the correct bank". I was a bit confused, but in the end I unplugged all my keyboard controllers(as they were listed first in the outputs chain). I reloaded the page and only then plugged my keyboard controllers back in. The Random bank #s then matched up with the output #s and everything worked as expected.

Suggestions(and I'm sure you've probably already considered these):

1. It would be nice to be able to search the map list the same way you can search the parameters list.

2. A "select/deselect all displayed parameters" would be pretty cool. This, in conjunction with the "parameter search" function, would streamline it quite well.

3. As long as I'm spitballing, being able to set a randomization range for each checked parameter would really bring the whole thing to the next level. I imagine this might not even be possible(I have zero experience with any kind of coding) or, at the very least, would involve tons of clickety-clack on your end.

Regardless of my suggestions, the effort you've undergone is commendable. Thank you very much!

mjxl

31 Jul 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
31 Jul 2020
My only trouble lied in "Please match the output with the correct bank".
Yeah, this was annoying to get right, on my PC the devices are/were named on their HWID, while a friend actually had "RandomBank1/2/3/4" in that list.
I kinda left it there tbh.

The idea is to have RandomBank1 device selected when you are randomising patches FROM RandomBank1.remotemap
Some devices have so many parameters that they are split under a couple of .remotemap files, for this you should just open a new Remoter tab and select RB2 and open RB2.remotemap file (or whichever number you are on)
loopeydoug wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Suggestions
1: Was thinking to split it per developer. (Pick a developer, then pick a devices from that developer)
2: Good thinking :) !
3: I was thinking to do this :) I guess min+max value should suffice.

Might give it a whirl, I'll probably also convert the page to a JS framework that I've grown attached to.

mjxl

16 Aug 2020

So, I've added a search bar to filter Rack Devices!

I did some changes here and there in the JS code, message me if I broke it (I don't think I did)

I also removed the stylesheet in favor of restyling it myself (it's super bland now, using just a minimal CSS), if anyone wants to chip in, feel free to PM/post here :) !
(also (for now) removed the ability to use it as PWA, just so I don't have to clear the page's data every single time i change something :P)
remoter1.png
remoter1.png (24.68 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
Finally, it nowgreets the user with a how-to, which dissappears when you open the .remotemap file you need.
remoter2.png
remoter2.png (29.87 KiB) Viewed 3478 times

mjxl

18 Aug 2020

Updated: Added the ability to toggle all parameters On/Off with a single toggle.

Here's a video of it, with the 'new layout & features'

Chomsky

22 Aug 2020

This looks very interesting I love being able to randomize synths to come up with crazy unexpected new sounds. Will give it a try. Thanks!
RIG
Windows 10 Home 64Bit
i-5 9600k OC'd 4.6Ghz across all cores
16GB Dual Channel DDR4 Ram
RTX 2060 OC'd
500GB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus

:reason: Suite 11.3.2 | Cubase Pro 9.5.5/10.5.2 | Live 10.1.7
NI KK A25 | Panorama P4 | Push 2

mjxl

04 Dec 2022

Need to do some cleaning up, supply all the remote info, and I want a couple more features :)
Any ideas are welcome, I'll also share via a Git repo I guess. ( You can also just inspect the webpage )

mjxl

07 Jan 2023

So, to improve workflow for this, I wrote some stupid Typescript code..
image.png
image.png (43.32 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
TS/JS file created from Remote Info text file:
image-1.png
image-1.png (55.33 KiB) Viewed 1509 times

mjxl

14 Jan 2023

Randomizing straight from VSCode \o /

mjxl

20 Jan 2023

I pushed some code to my remotemappings repo :)

https://github.com/mjuksel/remote-mappings

• Information