Reason Rack plugin lackluster MIDI features

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Oquasec

14 Dec 2019

That would be funny if they added the sequencer back to the vst.
What if the vst version was capable of dragging an event clip to the host?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

14 Dec 2019

stratatonic wrote:
13 Dec 2019
MattiasHG wrote:
13 Dec 2019
For the record, using the External MIDI Instrument is entirely placeholder for this alpha prototype. But it's SUPER FUN. ;)
Hi Mattias. I haven't tried out the R11 demo yet , but would I be correct in assuming that "alpha" is a very early stage thing, and means you're still at least a half year away from releasing this?
Also, when you do release, would VST and AU MIDI Out happen at the same time?
AND...clarification on the quote below...I thought copy pattern for REX was already possible with the plugin? Looks like I'm misinformed. Would the MIDI Out allow that kind of thing? Thanks. :)
Ad0 wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Let's hope the pattern export for REX comes soon as well! I never use "vanilla" REX loops. It can be worked around with going into reason DAW, export MIDI, then import, but it's very lumpy. :)
The time from alpha to release varies enormously depending on the feature(s) and what the release is supposed to be. I wouldn't say MIDI Out is "at least half a year away". And yes, we'd aim for having VST3 and AU ready at the same time. In fact, the alpha prototype works in both.

Copy pattern to track is not possible in the plugin right now and the MIDI Out alpha we showed on twitter/instagram doesn't change that. But it is something we're considering adding too. :ugeek:

zumBeispiel

14 Dec 2019

Please, add VST MIDI OUT into Reason standalone.
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 29 Dec 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Jmax

14 Dec 2019

Ad0 wrote:
11 Dec 2019
Boombastix wrote:
10 Dec 2019
Well, they still talk about opening ANY Combinator in the Rack Plugin, that is simply not true. You cannot open up Combinators you made with VSTs inside. It is a false claim, but I sure hope they will fix it. The No 1 reason I haven't updated to R11.
Since VST support was launched, VSTs are a part of my chains and combinators. All these are useless in the rack plugin. Also #1 or #2 reason why I don't upgrade.

Again, tons and tons of plugins already host plugins. I suspect they have an architectural problem. Also - REs are plugins.
If they are afraid of "plugin inception" of their own rack plugin, there are a million ways to detect this in code. Or even easier: Allow it, but don't officially support it.
You want the Reason Rack Plugin to be able to host VST's as well? Comon man that's a bit silly.
If you create combinator patches with VST's inside Reason the DAW, well that's a bit different isn't it.

Loque

14 Dec 2019

Jmax wrote:
14 Dec 2019
Ad0 wrote:
11 Dec 2019

Since VST support was launched, VSTs are a part of my chains and combinators. All these are useless in the rack plugin. Also #1 or #2 reason why I don't upgrade.

Again, tons and tons of plugins already host plugins. I suspect they have an architectural problem. Also - REs are plugins.
If they are afraid of "plugin inception" of their own rack plugin, there are a million ways to detect this in code. Or even easier: Allow it, but don't officially support it.
You want the Reason Rack Plugin to be able to host VST's as well? Comon man that's a bit silly.
If you create combinator patches with VST's inside Reason the DAW, well that's a bit different isn't it.
If i would use a different DAW than Reason, i would like to have my VSTs in the Reason rack too. Just think of a bit more complex patches with FX or layering with Reason synths and VSTi...
Reason12, Win10

outdatedstandard

14 Dec 2019

Last edited by outdatedstandard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Jackjackdaw

14 Dec 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
    13 Dec 2019
    For the record, using the External MIDI Instrument is entirely placeholder for this alpha prototype. But it's SUPER FUN. ;)
    Does that mean there will be a dedicated midi out device other than EMI ? Because otherwise what would the players attach to?

moneykube

14 Dec 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
    14 Dec 2019
    Does that mean there will be a dedicated midi out device other than EMI ? Because otherwise what would the players attach to?
    appears they are working on it... but who really knows if it will actually happen
    https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
    Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

PhillipOrdonez

14 Dec 2019

outdatedstandard wrote:
    14 Dec 2019
    Please add multi-audio-in for the organization of a plug-in with multiple send-effects.
    It’s inconvenient and strange to use a separate rack for each effect when sent.
    So you want the rack plugin to be able to act as a send device for multiple devices?

diminished
    Competition Winner

14 Dec 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
    14 Dec 2019
    outdatedstandard wrote:
    14 Dec 2019
    Please add multi-audio-in for the organization of a plug-in with multiple send-effects.
    It’s inconvenient and strange to use a separate rack for each effect when sent.
    So you want the rack plugin to be able to act as a send device for multiple devices?
    If I may: instead of loading x instances of RRP, one would suffice - if it had a patch bay on top which could receive several signals from the host DAW at the same time.
    :reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

EdGrip

14 Dec 2019

There are plenty of VSTs that host VSTs, so it's not a silly idea. Just depends on if it's a nightmare to implement, or if it'll impact stability.

outdatedstandard

14 Dec 2019

Last edited by outdatedstandard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

14 Dec 2019

diminished wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      PhillipOrdonez wrote:
      14 Dec 2019

If I may: instead of loading x instances of RRP, one would suffice - if it had a patch bay on top which could receive several signals from the host DAW at the same time.
      Yeah, that's what I thought. I haven't made up my mind about the benefits of that. I happen to like having control over my sends, having large racks would not be very efficient and would involve too much scrolling for every change. I rather use several instances, methinks. But sure, could be good to have, I guess.

diminished
      Competition Winner

14 Dec 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      diminished wrote:
      14 Dec 2019

Yeah, that's what I thought. I haven't made up my mind about the benefits of that. I happen to like having control over my sends, having large racks would not be very efficient and would involve too much scrolling for every change. I rather use several instances, methinks. But sure, could be good to have, I guess.
      You could use a copy of one signal in the chain of another for whatever purposes - there are literally endless creative possibilities :)
      :reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ColdSkoolBeatz

14 Dec 2019

I just saw a video where a dude stated AutoTheory 5 was a Chords and Scales killer. I commented how can this be with NO MIDI ROUTING in Reason?? Even with this feature I don't see it, especially with no Note to Track feature. I add this to say that w/o midi routing VSTs like AutoTheory 5 are useless if you want to use it with Reason Instruments and REs. :cool:

Just another of many reasons why I stopped using Reason as a DAW for Studio One. Thank god for the Rack Plug in tho. :puf_bigsmile:

VIVIsect

14 Dec 2019

ColdSkoolBeatz wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      I just saw a video where a dude stated AutoTheory 5 was a Chords and Scales killer. I commented how can this be with NO MIDI ROUTING in Reason?? Even with this feature I don't see it, especially with no Note to Track feature. I add this to say that w/o midi routing VSTs like AutoTheory 5 are useless if you want to use it with Reason Instruments and REs. :cool:

Just another of many reasons why I stopped using Reason as a DAW for Studio One. Thank god for the Rack Plug in tho. :puf_bigsmile:
      The newest version of AutoTheory doesn't require MIDI routing. You launch/control VSTs from within the AutoTheory VST. Kinda like how people are wanting to use VSTs inside the Reason Rack VST.

edit: or maybe I misunderstood what you're saying. True, I don't think it can be used with Reason's instruments or REs.

NostraDAWmus

15 Dec 2019

diminished wrote:
      14 Dec 2019

... instead of loading x instances of RRP, one would suffice - if it had a patch bay on top which could receive several signals from the host DAW at the same time.
      ... and if it had a MIDI patchbay in addition,- for multiple MIDI-In and Out.

One RRP alone would suffice for multiple RSN instrument devices too then.

It is what I already mentioned before,- the "Advanced MIDI" interface from standalone RSN 3 - 11 is already such patchbay. It exists.
      Implement (a) MIDI port(s) into the rack-shell ,- I´d be happy w/ a single port and 16 channels already !
      NI´s Kontakt MULTI is exactly that,- a rack/container hosting 16 "instruments" on 16 MIDI channels.

In fact the rack needs a audio- AND MIDI patchbay,- and a Combinator update adding MIDI channel selection on Combinator front panel.
      MIDI channel selection also for all the other RSN instruments and for operation outside of a Combinator but inside the RRP.

The RSN devices should deal w/ embedded "MIDI-banks" where presets can be stored and be recalled by program change numbers,- 1 MIDI bank/128 memories,- and even the RRP is a VST3.
      NI, Uhe, Arturia,- they all offer such MIDI program change banks for their 64bit plugins and even VST3 ditched MIDI program changes !

This is what a rack normally does.
      You fill it w/ gear and use it as an FX-rack, tonegenerator module rack or a combo of both, then you have your send/return lines and MIDI to switch presets and transmit notes and controllers.

:puf_smile:

P.

stratatonic

16 Dec 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      stratatonic wrote:
      13 Dec 2019

Hi Mattias. I haven't tried out the R11 demo yet , but would I be correct in assuming that "alpha" is a very early stage thing, and means you're still at least a half year away from releasing this?
      AND...clarification on the quote below...I thought copy pattern for REX was already possible with the plugin? Looks like I'm misinformed. Would the MIDI Out allow that kind of thing? Thanks. :)

The time from alpha to release varies enormously depending on the feature(s) and what the release is supposed to be. I wouldn't say MIDI Out is "at least half a year away". And yes, we'd aim for having VST3 and AU ready at the same time. In fact, the alpha prototype works in both.

Copy pattern to track is not possible in the plugin right now and the MIDI Out alpha we showed on twitter/instagram doesn't change that. But it is something we're considering adding too. :ugeek:

Hey Mattias, thanks for chiming in again to update - I appreciate it.
      I'd like to demo R11 Plugin now (well, likely after Christmas), but I'd like to see how midi out and the copy pattern to track would work for me as well, so it looks like I can't be demoing for some time then - maybe closer to the end of 2020, maybe?
      Btw, are the Reason Plugin demo and Reason 11 standalone demo two separate trials? Or demoing both applications in one shot?

dezma

16 Dec 2019

stratatonic wrote:
      16 Dec 2019
      Hey Mattias, thanks for chiming in again to update - I appreciate it.
      I'd like to demo R11 Plugin now (well, likely after Christmas), but I'd like to see how midi out and the copy pattern to track would work for me as well, so it looks like I can't be demoing for some time then - maybe closer to the end of 2020, maybe?
      Btw, are the Reason Plugin demo and Reason 11 standalone demo two separate trials? Or demoing both applications in one shot?
      He said considering for pattern to track. You might be starting your demo in 2028

Rack comes with reason installation so it's the same demo.

npinero1

16 Dec 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      stratatonic wrote:
      13 Dec 2019

I bought reason 11 because I’ve used it for years and I am hoping don’t have to get rid of it when I get my new Mac Pro. Please Matthias, keep us posted.
      :reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

Ad0

15 Jan 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      Great! It's kinda necessary with OctoREX to be able to modify the patterns etc :)
      Loque wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      Jmax wrote:
      14 Dec 2019

If i would use a different DAW than Reason, i would like to have my VSTs in the Reason rack too. Just think of a bit more complex patches with FX or layering with Reason synths and VSTi...
      This.

Lempface

15 Jan 2020

Ad0 wrote:
      15 Jan 2020
      MattiasHG wrote:
      14 Dec 2019
      Great! It's kinda necessary with OctoREX to be able to modify the patterns etc :)
      Loque wrote:
      14 Dec 2019

This.
      Precisely, for the rack to be 100% viable as a VST it NEEDS, midi out and hosting of VSTs. Then combinators can be shared between Reason DAW and Reason Rack.
      Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

Boombastix
      Competition Winner

15 Jan 2020

Lempface wrote:
      15 Jan 2020
      Ad0 wrote:
      15 Jan 2020

This.
      Precisely, for the rack to be 100% viable as a VST it NEEDS, midi out and hosting of VSTs. Then combinators can be shared between Reason DAW and Reason Rack.
      Say it louder:
      "Precisely, for the rack to be 100% viable as a VST it NEEDS, midi out and hosting of VSTs."
      10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
      Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Ad0

25 Jan 2020

Sooooooo.... any updates? Reaching beta soon? :)

Jackjackdaw

25 Jan 2020

I'm holding off upgrading until I see Midi out and VST hosting. Sticking to the old rule of paying for what exists not what I hope they will introduce.

• Information