New alpha reason plugin midi out

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
sonicbyte

13 Dec 2019

Just see this

PhillipOrdonez

13 Dec 2019

🕺

GRB

13 Dec 2019

Great! Cant wait to try it in Studio One 4.6

Are we seeing Serum controlled by Scales and Chords in another DAW?
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

GRB wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Great! Cant wait to try it in Studio One 4.6

Are we seeing Serum controlled by Scales and Chords in another DAW?
Yes in Ableton.

zumBeispiel

13 Dec 2019

I would like having VST MIDI OUT into Reason rack.

Biolumin3sc3nt

13 Dec 2019

Hellz Yeah! Can't wait

kuhliloach

13 Dec 2019

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

zumBeispiel wrote:
13 Dec 2019
You can already do that cant you ? For example you can load up an arpeggiator vst on a track and a reason rack on another track now change the midi input of the reason rack tack to that of the midi arpeggiator track.

I think I've done this before

I think it depends on whether the vst is sending midi or audio
Also on DAW implementation ?

guitfnky

13 Dec 2019

visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
zumBeispiel wrote:
13 Dec 2019
You can already do that cant you ? For example you can load up an arpeggiator vst on a track and a reason rack on another track now change the midi input of the reason rack tack to that of the midi arpeggiator track.

I think that’s what they meant—about getting MIDI output from VSTs into the Reason DAW.

had to edit this because I missed the DAW part of your comment, and responded too quickly. whoops!
Last edited by guitfnky on 13 Dec 2019, edited 1 time in total.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

13 Dec 2019

kuhliloach wrote:
13 Dec 2019
I like that guy's Re...Kraft!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

13 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019

I think they mean we want to be able to get MIDI output from VSTs into the Reason DAW. no idea if there’s a workaround in Reason VST, but you definitely can’t do it in the DAW.
So things like Xfer Records Cthulu will work in Reason?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2019
guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019

I think they mean we want to be able to get MIDI output from VSTs into the Reason DAW. no idea if there’s a workaround in Reason VST, but you definitely can’t do it in the DAW.
I think it should work let me try it with blue arp, if that works, why shouldn't cthulhu work ? Gimme ten minutes, will let you know

Basically its the same as routing midi to any vst, reason is a vst

Loque

13 Dec 2019

Ok...their focus is clear for this version...you made me a sad panda bear...a sad panda bear...
Reason12, Win10

danc

13 Dec 2019

Now... if I could run Reason's CV devices out into my other DAW (say as MIDI CC events) this would be super powerful.

All those Rack Extension LFO devices that I have would have a serious lease of life running my instruments and effects in Studio ONE.

Or am I hoping for too much... and should just accept MIDI NOTES.
Check my Soundcloud:

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2019
guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019

YES you can use vsts like bluearp to trigger reason plugin sounds. Cthulhu should work too.

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

danc wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Now... if I could run Reason's CV devices out into my other DAW (say as MIDI CC events) this would be super powerful.

All those Rack Extension LFO devices that I have would have a serious lease of life running my instruments and effects in Studio ONE.

Or am I hoping for too much... and should just accept MIDI NOTES.
Theoretically if we have a rack extension which takes a cv input and outputs midi cc data(lets u select which midi cc to change via cv), and then you send this to the midi out device, we could alter another VST's parameter via lfos or REs in reason. We just need a rack extension which converts cv data to midi cc data

EnochLight

13 Dec 2019

Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
YES you can use vsts like bluearp to trigger reason plugin sounds. Cthulhu should work too.
Not in standalone Reason, though. Wondering if this new MIDI-out device will allow it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
Not in standalone Reason, though. Wondering if this new MIDI-out device will allow it.
You can use virtual midi ports, like loop midi.
Send midi out from cthulhu to a virtual midi port.
Create a midi keyboard in controllers using the virtual midi port. Now you have out from cthulhu into reason.
I use a mac so i have a program called midi pipe running between my midi keyboard and reason using a virtual midi cable, i use it to alter my midi data i send to reason. For example i can transpose the notes i play on my keyboard.

Fyi, midi pipe lets you create as many virtual ports, and its free

(This has nothing to do with reason midi out device, this is about routing midi from the plugin into reason)
Last edited by visheshl on 13 Dec 2019, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

13 Dec 2019

visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019

Create a midi keyboard in controllers using the virtual midi port. Now you have out from cthulhu into reason.
I use a mac so i have a program called midi pipe running between my midi keyboard and reason using a virtual midi cable, i use it to alter my midi data i send to reason. For example i can transpose the notes i play on my keyboard.
do you have a step by step for how to do this? I’m very skeptical. I tried using a loopback to do this last week, but there was no way for me to get the VST MIDI out of the VST rack device. I’m familiar with looping back in from an external standalone app, but I still don’t think you can do what you describe in Reason.

I’d love to be proven wrong though.

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019

do you have a step by step for how to do this? I’m very skeptical. I tried using a loopback to do this last week, but there was no way for me to get the VST MIDI out of the VST rack device. I’m familiar with looping back in from an external standalone app, but I still don’t think you can do what you describe in Reason.

Let me check if i can get midi out of a vst into a virtual port from ableton...

Result

Ok so this would depend on the DAW.
In Ableton create a midi track.
Load midi arp(blue arp, cthulhu whatever) in the track.
Create one more midi track.
In the second midi track, select track 1 bluearppl in the midi from. Below that select blue arp.
Now since this is a midi track, it will have midi to instead of audio to.
In the midi to, select the virtual midi port.
Put the second track monitor to IN
Now open up reason
Create a midi keyboard with your virtual midi port.
Create whatever device like europa to test.
Now go back to ableton. Select the arpeggiator track and play the midi vst plugin.

I just tested it, its working.

EnochLight

13 Dec 2019

visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019

(This has nothing to do with reason midi out device, this is about routing midi from the plugin into reason)
Sure, but that’s a clunky workaround that is a pain in the ass and not nearly as functional as proper support. We’ve been able to use VST’s in Reason since the Record days using MIDI and audio loopback. It was never an enjoyable approach, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019

Sure, but that’s a clunky workaround that is a pain in the ass and not nearly as functional as proper support. We’ve been able to use VST’s in Reason since the Record days using MIDI and audio loopback. It was never an enjoyable approach, though.
Well thats a different thing, they should add support for midi vsts in reason standalone. In plug-in, you can already send midi from another vst to reason plugin.

guitfnky

13 Dec 2019

visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019
guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019

Result

In the second midi track, select track 1 bluearppl in the midi from. Below that select blue arp.
Now open up reason
Now go back to ableton. Select the arpeggiator track and play the midi vst plugin.

wait, you’re using a second DAW simultaneously just to get MIDI out of that VST, into the loopback, and then back into Reason? that’s a useless workaround. you’re using two separate sets of unsynchronized transport controls?

interesting from a technical standpoint, but from a practical standpoint, pointless.

visheshl

13 Dec 2019

guitfnky wrote:
13 Dec 2019
visheshl wrote:
13 Dec 2019

Result

Now open up reason

wait, you’re using a second DAW simultaneously just to get MIDI out of that VST, into the loopback, and then back into Reason? that’s a useless workaround. you’re using two separate sets of unsynchronized transport controls?

interesting from a technical standpoint, but from a practical standpoint, pointless.
My bad man, i totally misunderstood what you guys were talkiing about. I thought since this thread is about the midiout in reason plugin, i thought the original poster wanted to trigger reason plugin from another vst in the DAW(not standalone reason), then it became more confusing....i thought you wanted to trigger reason standalone from another vst in another daw....oops...by the way my approach couldve still worked if they hadnt taken out rewire.

zumBeispiel

13 Dec 2019

I would like having VST MIDI OUT in Reason standalone, no loopmidi apps, no other DAWs, no Reason rack plugin, no clunky pita workarounds, just please a simple VST MIDI OUT in Reason.

• Information