Target track automation

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RolandSwale

30 Nov 2019

I'm trying to automate the target track within a Reason song so that I can play live alongside existing recorded parts of the song, periodically changing instruments.
I know how to manually change the target track via my keyboard controller and I know how to automate program changes for a target instrument.
I don't want to do the latter owing to delays in loading new patches. I want several preloaded instruments that are automatically switched between during the course of the song.
I don't know whether the parameter in question is can be automated, but hopefully one of you out there might have found a solution.
My thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
🤔🙂🙂

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2019

This might help.. You can automate the switching or do it on the fly (live)..

RolandSwale

03 Dec 2019

Many thanks, Carly - a good video.
Yes, it does work (ish).
I set up two external MIDI instrument devices, one to control the Target Track Previous and the other to control the Target Track Next parameters. I then created automation clips for both and noted that the required action was triggered as soon as the parameter value reached a value of 127. It didn't need to be an abrupt change, a ramp waveform works OK. However, if I tried to rapidly shift the target track by more than one position, e.g shifting from lane 4 to 2, it didn't like it. It seems to require something like 2 bars at 120bpm between activations.
The other problem I had was that at one point I had a MIDI overload and LoopMIDI muted itself.
Also, I was unable to use the Delta option for Target Track, which might have been neater as it would only require one automation track.
Initially I was thinking about footswitches but couldn't work out what would work as a universal MIDI controller. I tried using my old GSP21 guitar pedal in conjunction with MidiOx (the pedal transmits MIDI, but only program changes, I think).
It all started with an attempt to use Reason as a looper device! After a while I thought 'Why not automate those pedal presses?' ...
Are you aware of any Reason device that will perform a MIDI loopback? It would be nice to not depend on external software.
Anyway, I will persevere and post any interesting findings I uncover.
Meanwhile, thanks very much for your help.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2019

RolandSwale wrote:
03 Dec 2019
I set up two external MIDI instrument devices, one to control the Target Track Previous and the other to control the Target Track Next parameters. I then created automation clips for both and noted that the required action was triggered as soon as the parameter value reached a value of 127. It didn't need to be an abrupt change, a ramp waveform works OK. However, if I tried to rapidly shift the target track by more than one position, e.g shifting from lane 4 to 2, it didn't like it. It seems to require something like 2 bars at 120bpm between activations.
I had a play with this, had it working with 10 ticks apart, but then just stopped working, then worked again, that to me is a timing issue going on. Not sure what to say there.
The other problem I had was that at one point I had a MIDI overload and LoopMIDI muted itself.
LoopMidi is quite reliable, yes I have had overloaded however I was passing about 1000 events through it, had to slow those down, still ran under a second :)

Also, I was unable to use the Delta option for Target Track, which might have been neater as it would only require one automation track.
I remember playing with that in the past I did not get any joy out of it.

Initially I was thinking about footswitches but couldn't work out what would work as a universal MIDI controller. I tried using my old GSP21 guitar pedal in conjunction with MidiOx (the pedal transmits MIDI, but only program changes, I think).
If it transmits program changes you should be able to remap that in Midi-OX, not sure if you can do that in the interface but with a bit code it will work.

It all started with an attempt to use Reason as a looper device! After a while I thought 'Why not automate those pedal presses?' ...
Ah, I was going to say the Midi CV-Converter works really well..
Just did a test,
added a Midi CV-Converter to 2 devices and a master one to a dummy device.
Set the 2 devices player mode to direct record
armed both tracks
played the master, I could control which other track was record by turning on and off the midi CV-Converter on that device, (the Midi CV converter also have a enable send button and you can control it from there as well, just means you can control what is going on from one device)
When you loop the master track it does a Alt take (I did a video about that on my channel), as the master track will record everything, you are now set to record your next part as the previous part is being played on the other device.
It's a bit messy but works.

Are you aware of any Reason device that will perform a MIDI loopback? It would be nice to not depend on external software.
No, It would not take much for RS to add this as standard, as this would have be done by them due to their closed system.

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

RolandSwale

06 Dec 2019

Big thanks, PoohBear, for your very comprehensive reply. I'll check out the MIDI/CV converter option and continue to investigate other options. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.
Mike 🙂

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2019

RolandSwale wrote:
06 Dec 2019
Big thanks, PoohBear, for your very comprehensive reply. I'll check out the MIDI/CV converter option and continue to investigate other options. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.
Mike 🙂
Just to add you don't need to do the alt-take trick, you can just de-arm that track.. DOH!!! :D

Please do keep us updated... I might do a video about it :D

• Information